Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Echo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone using an Echo Auto, if so what's your thoughts on it?

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone using an Echo Auto, if so what's your thoughts on it?

Looks interesting - seems to have an aux out in case your car is too old for bluetooth, which is nice. Tempted as I've 3 echos in the house, might as well put Alexa in the car too. Of course it's all dependent on having a reliable 4g connection on your commute - that is the biggest problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have an echo auto for sale on adverts if anyone is interested. I found it decent enough but I have moved over to google home after getting a pixel phone. So I sold my echo dots and trying to sell the Echo auto too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

amazon does not work well in Ireland i would go with google
    don't forget both companies record all your audio and video all the time and store it forbever in the cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    don't forget both companies record all your audio and video all the time and store it forbever in the cloud

this is not true. i'm certain that you can delete all you voice requests manually (i have done it) but i think you can also opt out of having them stored.

plus the echo starts recording only when it hears the call wake word ("alexa, ..." in most cases). the rest of the time it is only listening for that call word locally, i.e. nothing gets uploaded to the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    this is not true. i'm certain that you can delete all you voice requests manually (i have done it) but i think you can also opt out of having them stored.

plus the echo starts recording only when it hears the call wake word ("alexa, ..." in most cases). the rest of the time it is only listening for that call word locally, i.e. nothing gets uploaded to the cloud

If you believe that all to be true that's fine.... As I understand it, most people believe Alexa, Facebook, Google etc are constantly recording/listening to our devices so they can improve their services and find niche markets to release products and advertising.

Facebook, Google can target advertising in a specific way, if you have a product that you wish to target at single males ages 18-24 who are into underwater engineering they can find your target market, they do this by knowing everything about the people that use their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

Amazon Echo 3rd Gen
    £18.99 - Prime Day Special

Absolute bargain and these ones look a lot better than the weird new "ball" shaped ones IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

hudsonn wrote: »
    Amazon Echo 3rd Gen

Absolute bargain and these ones look a lot better than the weird new "ball" shaped ones IMHO!

Just bought one, it'll be my first ever. :)

Costs more but get much better sound from the Echo Plus. They have 3rd gen one for £49.99 which is very good value- link

• Advertisement

hudsonn wrote: »
    Amazon Echo 3rd Gen

I presume the ball shape one is for audio improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you have a wireless speaker lying around just pair it with that

Skerries wrote: »
    if you have a wireless speaker lying around just pair it with that

That's exactly what I do in my kitchen- Echo dot and 2 Bose Soundtouch 10 speakers, one on either end of the kitchen.

Advertisement