Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just bought it, cheers lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to our club. Enjoy your coffee :)

As onform said, discount coffee (dot ie) has great value for money whole beans. Buy in bulk, spend over €50 for free delivery and wait till you pick up one of their regular 10% discount codes

Drink excellent coffee at a fraction of high street / restaurant prices. That's a win in my book :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Missed this again dammit

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Jumped on this yesterday. Been looking for a decent machine for three years since we moved into a new house and this one was on the radar. Delighted to finally have it on the way now.

unkel wrote: »
    Welcome to our club. Enjoy your coffee :)

As onform said, discount coffee (dot ie) has great value for money whole beans. Buy in bulk, spend over €50 for free delivery and wait till you pick up one of their regular 10% discount codes

Drink excellent coffee at a fraction of high street / restaurant prices. That's a win in my book :cool:

Cheers unkel :) , I've used discount coffee a few times for the monin and sweetbird syrups and its very good, any coffee beans you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have to admit I have tried Discount Coffee (3 or 4 of the beans) and am not really a fan - the beans are grand, and pretty much on a par with what you get in a decent supermarket. In my view, you just can't beat freshly roasted beans, it makes a massive difference to the freshness and flavour and is worth paying extra for.

But for many people I imagine they are willing to compromise on flavour for the cheaper price - I can totally understand this. Just don't blame the machine if the coffee isn't as good as you expect - give the machine a go with some freshly roasted beans from the likes of ponaire, bell lane, 3fe, coffee mojo etc. before you judge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Hey guys,

I have this machine about a year and absoloutely love it. I mainly use it to make espressos and americanos.

Now I want to learn how to make cappucinios.

I bought a frothing jug and a milk thermometer.

I posted the question on amazon answers asking "how to make a cappucino" with this machine and I got 5 different answers lol

I've tried various different settings etc but cant seem to get it right.

Can someone who owns this machine tell me how to make a nice cappucino please including:

* what settings to use for both knobs
    * what size cup/glass to use
    * should i put the coffee in 1st or the milk in 1st

Would love to have some feedback on how to make the perfect cappucino..

Thanks guys

RPS

The settings on the knobs are down to personal taste.

Use a mug for a cappucino. Set the left knob to half way or so to fill a third of your mug ish. Set the right knob according to how strong you want your coffee.

Put the mug under the nozzles and switch on - the warm up and rinse will warm up your mug. Empty the mug and wipe it clean and place it back.

Make the shot of coffee into the same warmed-up mug.

Pour enough milk in to fill a half of your mug. You can measure this out first if you like.

Hit the steamer button and when ready, dip the steamer nozzle just below the surface of your milk so that the steamer draws in the milk around it forming a kind of cycle.

Keep adjusting so the nozzle is just below the surface and the bubbles get smaller and smaller in the foam. This makes it a nice smooth foam.

When you have a good amount of foam and the temp is hitting 50 degrees. Put the nozzle further into the milk and to the side of the jug to heat the rest of the milk up to 65 degrees.

Tip the milk jug into the coffee so the liquid milk runs first. Fill up to two-thirds of your mug then stop pouring and use a spoon to scoop some foam out to fill up the final third of your mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply mate, I really really appreciate it :)

edit: do I press the single or double shot to make the cappucino?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply mate, I really really appreciate it :)

edit: do I press the single or double shot to make the cappucino?

That's really up to you. If you want a strong cup, double shot it. If you want a really strong cup, double shot it and set the right hand knob to full.

Here's a handy guide to making the various types of coffees. When you're using the machine to make coffee and steam milk you mostly end up with coffee, hot milk and foam. How you distribute each of the ingredients into the mug dictates the type of coffee you've made.

different-types-of-coffee-infograph.jpg

• Advertisement

That's really up to you. If you want a strong cup, double shot it. If you want a really strong cup, double shot it and set the right hand knob to full.

Here's a handy guide to making the various types of coffees. When you're using the machine to make coffee and steam milk you mostly end up with coffee, hot milk and foam. How you distribute each of the ingredients into the mug dictates the type of coffee you've made.

different-types-of-coffee-infograph.jpg

Cheers for the info been struggling to use the steamer right, question what is the best type of milk to use, would full fat give a creamer taste I've the low fat/skimmed milk or is there any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

I can't seem to make nice coffee from this machine. I've tried several different beans but coffee always tastes bitter in comparison to same beans used in another machine. Would really appreciate some advice. Tia

Where are you using the other machine? Same water supply? Could have limey water that's causing your coffee to become bitter.

Hococop wrote: »
    Cheers for the info been struggling to use the steamer right, question what is the best type of milk to use, would full fat give a creamer taste I've the low fat/skimmed milk or is there any difference?

Really depends on your taste. If you order a normal cappucino and like it then go with full fat. If you order skinny caps and like them go with skimmed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Def worth using camelcamelcamel for this, it dropped by over 80 GBP earlier today for only 10min
    handy saving off the current price of 340

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Really depends on your taste. If you order a normal cappucino and like it then go with full fat. If you order skinny caps and like them go with skimmed.

I have found (if you are using your machine at home) it is simpler to use the microwave and a milk wand. It makes less of a mess too!

Simply heat your milk in the microwave, whisk to you desired froth and add your coffee. Your cup is warmed in the process too.

If using the machine, you risk having milk splashed all over the place and also you have to let the machine/cool a bit before using it for making the coffee. I sometimes find in this time, the froth has gone off the milk.

Sure it is not as dramatic as the steam, but the final product is as good. If you want just froth you can spoon it off.

Do try Espresso con panna, use whipped cream either on top of the coffee or put the whipped cream in first and run the coffee through it.

The milk wand is also great for whipping small amounts of cream too.

Make the coffee first, then steam your milk.

Also, don't see the point in buying a coffee machine with a milk wand if you're just going to revert to the microwave where it's much more difficult to judge the temperature of the milk and risk scalding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Alan McG

Looks like the ESAM4200 just dropped to £200 on Amazon, a 3rd party seller. and seems to do free international shipping too!

amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino-ESAM4200/dp/B001EOMZ5E

Wish I could justify buying one of these. I already own an electric drill attached to a ceramic burr grinder and 2 regular espresso machines (one in work, the other at home) and my fiancee would kill me if I got more coffee stuff.

Oh and does anyone know when I get link posting privileges? It says I can't post links because I'm a new user, but I've been here for over 7 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭djdunny

Alan McG wrote: »
    Looks like the ESAM4200 just dropped to £200 on Amazon, a 3rd party seller. and seems to do free international shipping too!

amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino-ESAM4200/dp/B001EOMZ5E

Wish I could justify buying one of these. I already own an electric drill attached to a ceramic burr grinder and 2 regular espresso machines (one in work, the other at home) and my fiancee would kill me if I got more coffee stuff.

Oh and does anyone know when I get link posting privileges? It says I can't post links because I'm a new user, but I've been here for over 7 years!

Just checked this out and it looks like it would be coming from China. You would have to customs on it and the seller looks like he has no feedback. My gut is warning me off this.

To post links I think it's down to the amount of posts you have rather than the amount of time you've been here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No chance I'd buy this from a third party seller,
    You're much better off sticking for amazon for such an expensive item, especially if it goes defective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I've ordered this - the De'Longhi Magnifica ECAM 22.110 - for only €299 plus €10 delivery on Amazon Germany.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00400OMU0/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2

delonghi.png

It's €360 on Amazon France and nearer to €400 on Amazon UK so the Amazon Germany is a very good deal.

From what I gather it's actually a better model than the ESAM4200 being discussed on here.

Looking forward to some good coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭djdunny

I've ordered this - the De'Longhi Magnifica ECAM 22.110 - for only €299 plus €10 delivery on Amazon Germany.

delonghi.png

It's €360 on Amazon France and nearer to €400 on Amazon UK so the Amazon Germany is a very good deal.

From what I gather it's actually a better model than the ESAM4200 being discussed on here.

Thanks for this. May I ask how you got delivery for 10 euro. Mine is showing at 21 euro for standard delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

delonghi.png

I have this machine,got it about 8 months ago to replace a Philips Saeco.
    I can highly recommend it,its used 8-10 times a day and hasn't missed a beat so far

djdunny wrote: »
    Thanks for this. May I ask how you got delivery for 10 euro. Mine is showing at 21 euro for standard delivery.

Delivery to Parcel Motel i.e. UK Belfast address. Quicker delivery than Ireland.

However...BE WARNED! Treated as oversize item by Parcel Motel so had to collect at their north Dublin hub..

Set machine up.

Excellent coffee!

Didn't use filter and used 1st hard water setting as litmus test only had one box. From what I understand though, I'll have to descale it anyway at some point as the machine will insist on it even if it's fine (i.e. time limit) - is there anyway of avoiding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

From what I understand though, I'll have to descale it anyway at some point as the machine will insist on it even if it's fine (i.e. time limit) - is there anyway of avoiding this?

It won't stop making coffee, it just puts on a little red light which you can ignore if you wish.

ahh great thanks.

The coffee out of this (the ECAM 22.110) is every bit as good as a takeaway. Using Ariosa beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

delonghi.png

By coincidence I also bought this machine at the weekend to replace my previous ESAM 04.110, the grinder of which had got damaged.

First big difference is the noise level of all operations the ECAM 22.110 is a massive improvement over the old machine, particularly for the grinding. I can now make coffee at 5.30am without waking the whole house up!

The new machine also brews coffee that is significantly hotter than that of my old machine.

Would recommend the 22.110 over the 04.110 (or 4200 which I had previously) any day.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

Thanks for the tip - may be a stupid question, but do you need an adaptor for the power supply on this model?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip - may be a stupid question, but do you need an adaptor for the power supply on this model?

just a 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor plug....power supply fine.

Advertisement