Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl e-scooter this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Peregrine wrote: »
    They can detain you if you don't have a licence.

There's some really bad advice and awful takes on this thread.

Lol whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

There was still 8 of these in Charleville yesterday evening

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mrcheez wrote: »

How are you finding the braking on it? My scooter the braking is ok, but not existent in the wet (thumb brake and rear stomp break aswell).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

antodeco wrote: »
    How are you finding the braking on it? My scooter the braking is ok, but not existent in the wet (thumb brake and rear stomp break aswell).

Seems good though as I mentioned before I won't be taking it out in heavy rain

The tires have good grips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just to chime in,
    we have 2 escooters in the house, one Xiaomi M365 and one Xiaomi M365pro.
    both tuned up a bit with the apps available to tweek the software.
    Dangerous at speed and ppe is really ness,, but great fun and really useful for short shopping trips.
    I only allow my teenage kids on the basic (not Pro) version and only if I am on the Pro with them.

once again, great fun!

• Advertisement

Yeah the speed of more expensive models over the limited ~15mph of the Lidl one would worry me a bit based on the size of these things.

The Lidl goes at a gentle enough pace that it's fairly easy to jump off in an emergency.

If I upgrade I probably won't go all in on souping them up speedwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

I would encourage anyone who owns one to pop an email to your local FF/FG/GP TD and Eamonn Ryan to check timelines for legislation on these.
    I did both this week and got a reply saying they'll get back to me. The more pressure put on this Govt to regulate, the faster it will happen.

Shane Ross dawdled and procrastinated for far too long on it.

As a Cyclist and Motorist, it's an absolute no brainer to get more people on these in our cities, particularly now, in a Social Distancing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In a lot of ways it's more akin to a e-bike since it needs human assistance to start.

No it’s nothing like an E-Bike as per law an E-Bike requires continuous pedalling. If the pedals stop rotating the engine stops.

It’s more like a kick start on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

atahuapla wrote: »
    I would encourage anyone who owns one to pop an email to your local FF/FG/GP TD and Eamonn Ryan to check timelines for legislation on these.
    I did both this week and got a reply saying they'll get back to me. The more pressure put on this Govt to regulate, the faster it will happen.

Shane Ross dawdled and procrastinated for far too long on it.

As a Cyclist and Motorist, it's an absolute no brainer to get more people on these in our cities, particularly now, in a Social Distancing world.

Get them where?
    * On the sidewalks where they are far too fast and dangerous for the pedestrians?
    * On the patchy cycle ways, where scooter wheels cannot cope with holes
    * or on the road, where not only it cannot cope with discraseful road quality, it simply is too slow?

They are a brilliant idea, but this idea doesn't work... :(

grogi wrote: »
    Get them where?
    * On the sidewalks where they are far too fast and dangerous for the pedestrians?
    * or on the road, where not only it cannot cope with discraseful road quality, it simply is too slow?

wow so much wrong with this glass is half-empty post I don't know where to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I don't know where to start

which funny enough might be the reason the government has not yet legislated.

ted1 wrote: »
    No it’s nothing like an E-Bike as per law an E-Bike requires continuous pedalling. If the pedals stop rotating the engine stops.

It’s more like a kick start on a motorbike

There are plenty of E-bikes going around that require no pedal assistance I regularly see them flying along with no peddling happening.
    grogi wrote: »
    Get them where?

I see them being used multiple times per day on bike lanes and on the side of the road without issue. The same people too a lot of the time so they obviously aren't falling and getting put off using them.

If anyone bought one of these and wants to know how to change to kph let me know!

It's a bit cumbersome but I can list out the steps if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are plenty of E-bikes going around that require no pedal assistance I regularly see them flying along with no peddling happening.

Thats a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

wow so much wrong with this glass is half-empty post I don't know where to start

Your post was completely empty...

Nice comeback

Incidentally, this is proving fantastic.
    I was about to make dinner last night, realised I was missing some ingredients. Normally I'd have to either unlock the bike shed, get the lock and panniers sorted, then lock the bike up at the shop, load up the panniers, lock the bike back up yadda yadda.

Or..get the car out, find a parking spot, deal with traffic etc.

Instead I just grabbed a plastic bag, grabbed my debit card, shot off to the shop on the scooter, folded it up, bought what I needed and was back.

9 minutes and 30 seconds in total.

Love this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭3d4life

I was about to make dinner last night, realised I was missing some ingredients. Normally I'd have to either ......

DFB Tweet urges caution when charging this class of thing

( https:// ) twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1282752092176822274

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice comeback

I was about to make dinner last night, realised I was missing some ingredients. Normally I'd have to either unlock the bike shed, get the lock and panniers sorted, then lock the bike up at the shop, load up the panniers, lock the bike back up yadda yadda.

Or..get the car out, find a parking spot, deal with traffic etc.

Instead I just grabbed a plastic bag, grabbed my debit card, shot off to the shop on the scooter, folded it up, bought what I needed and was back.

9 minutes and 30 seconds in total.

Love this thing

Amateur :)
    Leave the debit card at home and use your phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I see them being used multiple times per day on bike lanes and on the side of the road without issue. The same people too a lot of the time so they obviously aren't falling and getting put off using them.

They are motorbikes not e-bikes

Gumbo wrote: »
    Amateur :)
    Leave the debit card at home and use your phone :)

Normally I use my watch, without my phone.. but it wasn't charged ;)

Also forgot to mention... I grabbed my mask.. very important y'all :D

• Advertisement

When I asked Lidl how to change mph to kph, they sent me a video which exposed a menu with up to nine "P" settings. They only showed me one setting, but apparently it's common for these scooters to have loads of "P" settings including changing the max speed from the built in 11-15mph, plus also the possibility to be able to start the scooter without having to kick off.

https://www.voromotors.com/blogs/news/ever-wonder-what-does-p0-p9-stands-for

the main disadvantage with these things is, assuming you are an adult and not a child, how preposterous you look using one.

the e-bikes don't have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

glasso wrote: »
    the main disadvantage with these things is, assuming you are an adult and not a child, how preposterous you look using one.

The main point to them is practicality and they do seem to be very practical so I'm not sure any one using them cares about what they look like on one. The other thing is they are quite new, I doubt the guy on the first push bike had people looking at him thinking he looked great. Anything that gets you from A to B with less cost, time and more convenience, who cares what you look like? I'd wear a ballerina dress along with anything else on any kind of contraption if it got me to work with all that added in.

The main point to them is practicality and they do seem to be very practical so I'm not sure any one using them cares about what they look like on one. The other thing is they are quite new, I doubt the guy on the first push bike had people looking at him thinking he looked great. Anything that gets you from A to B with less cost, time and more convenience, who cares what you look like? I'd wear a ballerina dress along with anything else on any kind of contraption if it got me to work with all that added in.

they have been around for years (for at least 4 they have been seen regularly in the city centre) in the Dublin area.

it's a personal opinion of course.

they certainly can be practical in certain circumstances although the crappy surfaces and holes present in bike lanes, roads, paths etc in Dublin for example are not suited to the smallish wheels imo.

The first person that used Alexa to control their house probably sounded preposterous.

Now loads are doing it :D

This is the Alexa of quick commuting... you don't realise you want it until you get it, then after you get it you realise you can't live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Sono wrote: »
    13km out of the battery seems brutal no?

Actually more range just means a bigger battery = more weight.

Mine is only 12km range, I wouldn't really ever see myself doing more than 5km as my use case is going to work and back home or going from where I parked the car to the place I want to be.

Any bigger and I wouldn't be able to carry it up to the 4th floor by stairs (comfortably) :)

Ya I don't really care how I look, just means:

A. I don't have to take public Transport (Coronavirus)
    B. It won't get nicked at work or home as I can easily carry it inside.
    C. Can take it on Public Transport for free if I really have to
    D. It fits in the boot of a car.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a motorbike.
    ted1 wrote: »
    They are motorbikes not e-bikes

They are under the guise of E-Bikes though and people are modding their E-Bikes to bypass the pedal requirement etc. The bikes I'm talking about just look like normal E-Bikes but if you watch the people cycling them they are clearly able to go without the pedalling requirement.

I have seen one or two normal push bikes modified to use a small petrol engine around too but these are clearly not E-bikes and would be very very easy to catch someone out.

The first ape to walk on two legs was probably belittled by the other apes ;)

Now... who needs legs?

redcup342 wrote: »

Ya I don't really care how I look, just means:

A. I don't have to take public Transport (Coronavirus)
    B. It won't get nicked at work or home as I can easily carry it inside.
    C. Can take it on Public Transport for free if I really have to
    D. It fits in the boot of a car.

all the same points apply for this folding e-bike - thinking of getting this model

much better and safer wheel size imo, gears, range and for me it looks a lot better.

more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

heavier but would not be carrying it over long distances

https://www.fiido.com/d4s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

all the same points apply for this folding e-bike - thinking of getting this model

much better and safer wheel size imo, gears, range and for me it looks a lot better.

more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

heavier but would not be carrying it over long distances

https://www.fiido.com/d4s

The small wheels and safety, road usage and quality of Irish roads I'm sure is a legitimate negative for purchasing/using them but seems to be overstated and the go to response and argument used here. The roads here are not that bad.

Lisbon has widespread government supported rental e-scooter system similar to the dublin bikes, you will barely see a street without someone using one and the rental spots very frequent. The roads in the city are atrocious, narrow, cobbled and when I say hilly, it is putting it mildly, yet an awful lot of people use them and is very successful. And this is a far more densely populated city than Dublin. We do everything we can in Ireland to hinder and block initiative and progress in making things more convenient for people. Uber? No. Lyft? No. Airbnb? Lets regulate and tax into red tape hell to the point of where its not worth doing for many. Planning permission etc....list goes on.
    I realise this is not all about Dublin but I am just using it as it is probably the one of the areas in this country where they are most needed and would be most welcomed because public transport here is atrocious in terms of service, reliability, availability and atrociously expensive.

Although legalising them seemed to be in the pipeline I'd fear these will most likely result in requiring taxation and licensing (along with ebikes after a review) and will die a death causing further congestion and mayhem.

Advertisement