Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

• 21-06-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

https://springboardcourses.ie/

Open for applications on 25th of June. Telephone lines open 22nd of June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Do many people get these if working fulltime on decent enough salary. Love to do something this year as an interest as might not be much happening and if it can pad the CV it would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Wondering the same. Seems to be some worthwhile courses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Do many people get these if working fulltime on decent enough salary. Love to do something this year as an interest as might not be much happening and if it can pad the CV it would be great

Some of are open to applicants in full time employment. I don't think there is any issue with earnings, you just have to meet the educational/experience requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

No issue with earnings, basically if your working full-time you have to pay ten percent of the cost of the course, which is obviously still a great saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I know a few people on very good money who recently completed one and had to pay €600 approx towards the cost of a Level 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Is it possible to see a list of courses or does it only show on the 25th?

Went for one before but the application is far too long winded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

timple23 wrote: »
    Is it possible to see a list of courses or does it only show on the 25th?

This is available on the springboard website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No issue with earnings, basically if your working full-time you have to pay ten percent of the cost of the course, which is obviously still a great saving.

Level 6 courses are free for those in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've a masters but I'd almost consider one of the culinary courses at level 6 :D probably be able to cook something other than pasta bake and pizza and chips for my dinner then :D

• Advertisement

Level 6 courses are free for those in employment.

Ah very good, knew people that had done level 7/8 courses and just had to pay the ten percent so thought it was the same for all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭go4it

This state-funded courses are mainly aimed at unemployed looking to re-skill and join the in-demand industries workforce.
    Many don't get a free L6 place since they've done L7/8 in the industry that are working happily now , and don't plan to change lifelong careers ( if you're an engineer and and want to cook , this program might not be for you )

This are definitely not a Udemy -style courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

No issue with work or salary. I done a level 9 masters part time while working full time. Only had to pay 10% (€800) of the course fee and the other €7200 was covered by springboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

are these distant learning course or do you have to live near those colleges?

Bob Z wrote: »

There's a mixture, the odd one is fully online, then there's some where most of it is online but you might have to do a day a month on campus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Do you need a job to qualify for this scheme?

Just been made redundant and see a few courses there I would B einterested in however I can't NOT working full time. I just currently don't have a job. Expect to get one in the next few months.

Do you need a job to qualify for this scheme?

Just been made redundant and see a few courses there I would B einterested in however I can't NOT working full time. I just currently don't have a job. Expect to get one in the next few months.

No you don't need a job, if you are on jobseekers benefit the courses are free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

No you don't need a job, if you are on jobseekers benefit the courses are free

Dont plan on getting social in any form. Might have to but would prefer not to.

Dont plan on getting social in any form. Might have to but would prefer not to.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/third_level_places_for_unemployed_people.html#:~:text=Who%20is%20eligible%3F,level%206%20courses%20are%20free.

That's the eligibility criteria, it would appear you need to be claiming one of the payments to get the course for free otherwise you would need to pay the ten percent (level 6 courses are free for everyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

RedXIV wrote: »
    I've a masters but I'd almost consider one of the culinary courses at level 6 :D probably be able to cook something other than pasta bake and pizza and chips for my dinner then :D

Do you know if you actually cook in a kitchen or if its theory. Would love one of those is actually cooking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Do you know if you actually cook in a kitchen or if its theory. Would love one of those is actually cooking

You need to log 400 hours in a commercial kitchen, so I'd say you do a fair bit of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd say a lot of course which were even "face to face" will be mainly online given the current context, or at the very least heavily blended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I applied for a course in WIT last year, didn't realise it was springboard funded. You pay 10% so I had to pay 500 euro. I had to meet the criteria set out for the course I was doing plus upload a **** load of my qualifications before I was granted funding.

I'm in full time employment and up until Covid I was travelling to WIT in Waterford every 2nd Friday, stayed down there and was in WIT on Saturday till 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm actually going into my last semester in September from a course done here. Is it possible to progress to a masters on springboard afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

how quick do you need to be off the mark to get one of these. i applied last august and was laughed at when i heard nothing and phoned up to see if i got a place.

do bookings go live on june 25th?

search not working for me on the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

search not working for me on the courses?

Theres a link on the page to an excel sheet with all the available courses by provider

how quick do you need to be off the mark to get one of these. i applied last august and was laughed at when i heard nothing and phoned up to see if i got a place.

do bookings go live on june 25th?

Quick enough Id say, couple of the lads didn't get it on my course, there is only a certain amount of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Some of the courses on there are brilliant, its worth having a good look at that excel file.

Can anyone tell me why are some of the level 9's called a certificate in ..... I always thought a level 9 is a masters or a post graduate diploma.

• Advertisement

Drove up and down to Waterford every 2nd Friday, stayed Friday night and headed back to Dublin Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement