Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted on hotdeals.co.uk - Delonghi ECAM23.420 Bean to Cup Coffee Machine - £284.05 Delivered

Definitely looks fancier that the version I've got!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has anyone had an issues with the grinder not grinding for long enough. Normally it would grind the beans for between 8-10 seconds (I think) .
    Since this morning it stops grinding after 3-5 seconds and thus gets only about a third of the required coffee grounds.

Gave the machine a good clean, removed all beans and I don't see any blockages.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Bykobap wrote: »
    When descaling machine certain components are not getting the treatment so limescale builds up and clogges them.

Maybe that's way you have overflowing issues.

Try running the machine normally with descaler added to water tank couple of times and leave it for a while before using it again. Coffee has to be added too in order for the machine to run its normal cycle.

To rinse it thoroughly from descaler run a normal coffee making cycle with maximum amount of water for a cup or even better for two cups. Once the coffee making cycle is done you can press-hold the 1 or 2 cup button immediately after and hot water will continue to pour for another 20 seconds thus rinsing it even better.

Mine machine had the same slow pouring issue and it was these components that are not getting the descaling treatment that were the issue. Once you take the machine apart it is apparent that crucial components are bypassed in descaling process. Bad design i guess.

Only getting back to this now, cheers for the recommendation. Gave the whole thing a good clean, descaled as normal and then descaled as you suggested and so far so good. Definitely pouring a lot better than previously.
    It still sounds slightly weak but output seems fine. I'll give it a few days and hope it's good and hopefully no need to strip or do seals.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Getting some grinds leaking into my cup recently. Any ideas on how to resolve?

Brego888 wrote: »
    Getting some grinds leaking into my cup recently. Any ideas on how to resolve?

whats your cleaning of the brew unit routine been, first thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭supue

Any idea where I can pick up the bits to fit the screws under the machine? The head unit got properly jammed after it was cleaned last weekend (clean every two weeks). It's jammed before but always resolved itself after a reset. Now I've four lights flashing in sequence.

I took off the back of the machine but can't get access to what looks like the motor for driving the unit up and down. The screws have some tamper pin in the middle of them, I've no equivalent bit and local hardware doesn't stock either.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

supue wrote: »
    Any idea where I can pick up the bits to fit the screws under the machine? The head unit got properly jammed after it was cleaned last weekend (clean every two weeks). It's jammed before but always resolved itself after a reset. Now I've four lights flashing in sequence.

I took off the back of the machine but can't get access to what looks like the motor for driving the unit up and down. The screws have some tamper pin in the middle of them, I've no equivalent bit and local hardware doesn't stock either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00473OARU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_02x2EbHANWV5D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

whats your cleaning of the brew unit routine been, first thought

Just a wipe down with a cloth internally really. Is the unit easily removed to be cleaned properly? It's about 4 months old at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Brego888 wrote: »
    Just a wipe down with a cloth internally really. Is the unit easily removed to be cleaned properly? It's about 4 months old at this stage.

Ya very easy to remove, just squeeze the 2 red parts and it pops out. Recommendation is to soak in plain (non soapy) water to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Usually get the Delonghi descaler off Amazon ... but it's over £20 a bottle (with no free shipping)

Been using it for years ...but looking up the thread - people are happy with citric acid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

i think mine came one box of descaler - which i used when the machine warned me that it needed a clean,
    I have a bag of citric acid here waiting for the next cleaning reminder from the DeLongi. I ordered it as part of another Amazon order so its sitting here waiting to be used, from what i remember there are loads of comments in the review section of the citric acid on amazon about how best to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ah no!!! my machine (6 years old now) is starting to jam up

When I go to froth the milk ... it moves inside but jams at the end with a creaking noise like it's stuck on something - and the warning light comes on (along with the 2 green lights).

Have taken the infuser apart and given it a clean - so not that.

Any tips to sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

My Magnifica is not making coffee ! , It will rinse and run descale process but when you select a cup of coffee it grinds and just when it starts to brew it struggles for a few seconds and the Water Tank Empty light comes and there is dry ground coffee in the drawer for the circular wet pods usually are.BTW it is overdue a descale but Argos/DID etc dont have any , What else is safe to use to descale

Mine is officially dead, the unit that moves up and down with the red sections jammed and I can't get it to move. I got access to the bottom of the machine to manually rotate the motors, but it won't budge. Machine was well looked after and cleaned regularly, I think it might have been a bit damp when it was reinserted as I normally let it dry overnight.

It's been moved to the garage, I ordered a new coffee machine from Amazon towards the end of May which won't be available till end July based on their recent email - I can't get it delivered via any other UK sellers or it's out of stock. I've been making do with a hario v60 in the interim.

TimHorton wrote: »
    My Magnifica is not making coffee ! , It will rinse and run descale process but when you select a cup of coffee it grinds and just when it starts to brew it struggles for a few seconds and the Water Tank Empty light comes and there is dry ground coffee in the drawer for the circular wet pods usually are.BTW it is overdue a descale but Argos/DID etc dont have any , What else is safe to use to descale

There's usually plenty of generic descalers available in SuperValu/Tesco, or you can make your own with vinegar if you google it. You're paying a premium for the branded stuff, it's all essentially the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Quick one guys, if you were making a drink with this machine - say an Espresso - would you measure out the amount of coffee beans needed for an Espresso and just add that amount or would you just dump a load of beans in the hopper and trust the machine to only take the right amount? Just want to make sure I'm not using too many beans per cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

There's usually plenty of generic descalers available in SuperValu/Tesco, or you can make your own with vinegar if you google it. You're paying a premium for the branded stuff, it's all essentially the same.

I bought a two or three pack of descaler in Tesco a few weeks back as the machine lit up its 'descale me' light. Worked fine.
    breeno wrote: »
    Quick one guys, if you were making a drink with this machine - say an Espresso - would you measure out the amount of coffee beans needed for an Espresso and just add that amount or would you just dump a load of beans in the hopper and trust the machine to only take the right amount? Just want to make sure I'm not using too many beans per cup!

I just keep the hopper topped up, never fill it totally as better to store the beans in an airtight container.

wouldn't use vinegar.

citric acid is a decent option - not sure what concentration to use

lactic acid if you want to play it safe (50ml of 80% strength into the water container)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alexander11

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a coffee machine for my parents. My budget is about 500 euro, would want a bean to cup coffee machine. Initially I was looking at Sage BES875UK, but I feel like my parents would use that only a handful of times as it's too much effort. So I decided to look into getting an automatic bean to cup coffee machine, hopefully with an automated milk frother too. Which coffee machine would you recommend? I looked at this De'Longhi Magnifica and it looks good, the only downside I can see is the fact that you need to froth the milk yourself.

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a coffee machine for my parents. My budget is about 500 euro, would want a bean to cup coffee machine. Initially I was looking at Sage BES875UK, but I feel like my parents would use that only a handful of times as it's too much effort. So I decided to look into getting an automatic bean to cup coffee machine, hopefully with an automated milk frother too. Which coffee machine would you recommend? I looked at this De'Longhi Magnifica and it looks good, the only downside I can see is the fact that you need to froth the milk yourself.

I bought the magnifica for my parents and they use the frother fine. it's a bit of extra time after making the coffee but not excessive and is pretty foolproof after doing it once and also gives you control over how you want the milk.

get a steel frother jug to go with it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Handheld-Frothing-Measurement-Cappuccino/dp/B07CQH8RRJ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=frother+jug+350ml&qid=1592345273&sr=8-6

when the jug is almost too hot to hold the milk is done

• Advertisement

I also recommend taking off the protective cover on the milk froth nozzle, you get a much better microfoam with it off than on. It's recommended on most of the various coffee forums too.

I also recommend taking off the protective cover on the milk froth nozzle, you get a much better microfoam with it off than on. It's recommended on most of the various coffee forums too.

I gave this a go and found out one of the reasons for the screw-on cover.

the remaining plastic bit shot off the metal part of the steam wand mid-froth.

didn't seem to be making any difference before that tbh

the most important factor for the froth is the type of milk you use.

low-fat (not skimmed) milk gives you much more froth that full-fat

(it's what they use in coffee shops)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

glasso wrote: »
    I gave this a go and found out one of the reasons for the screw-on cover.

the remaining plastic bit shot off the metal part of the steam wand mid-froth.

didn't seem to be making any difference before that tbh

Same happened to me some time ago, it was one of those grinds full, bean tray empty, out of water days... so well and truly peeved after cleaning that mess up. Also noticed no advantage so never bothered again.

Same happened to me some time ago, it was one of those grinds full, bean tray empty, out of water days... so well and truly peeved after cleaning that mess up. Also noticed no advantage so never bothered again.

could potentially end up with a nice boiling 100 degree Celsius steam burn if you were unlucky .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hey all. I have the Caffe Corso for nearly three years now and it has been very good, no problems until now. The grinder doesn’t seem to be working any more, when you try to make a cup using the beans it makes an impotent spinning noise and doesn’t pull the beans in to the grinder. Any ideas what might be wrong with it? Haven’t read the whole thread but presumably somebody has come across this.

I’m using ground coffee for now and it’s fine but I’d like to get the bean to cup feature back working if I could.

Hey all. I have the Caffe Corso for nearly three years now and it has been very good, no problems until now. The grinder doesn’t seem to be working any more, when you try to make a cup using the beans it makes an impotent spinning noise and doesn’t pull the beans in to the grinder. Any ideas what might be wrong with it? Haven’t read the whole thread but presumably somebody has come across this.

I’m using ground coffee for now and it’s fine but I’d like to get the bean to cup feature back working if I could.

https://www.4delonghi.co.uk/kitchen-small-appliances/coffee-grinder/catalogue.pl?path=606400,606457

maybe check ebay for cheaper?

check youtube for installation etc. magnfica is the exact same machine except for the front fascia

looks like a bit of wire-sorting involved...

maybe try this to find out what is wrong in the first place

more results. everything is on youtube these days

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=delonghi+coffee+machine+replace+grinder

glasso wrote: »

true ^^^

time of year also matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Hi all, have the original machine from the post, hit trouble this morning, while I was making a coffee about 3/4 way through the grinding process, it started making a noise like it the grinder was jammed/stuck/clogged.
    Anybody have this problem, and any solutions to fix ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi all, have the original machine from the post, hit trouble this morning, while I was making a coffee about 3/4 way through the grinding process, it started making a noise like it the grinder was jammed/stuck/clogged.
    Anybody have this problem, and any solutions to fix ðŸ‘

I remember a post in the past where I small stone was mixed in with the beans.

Advertisement