Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just in relation to Zinio - they've changed the Zinio for Libraries app to RBDigital so maybe that's where the library got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

podge018 wrote: »
    Bit confused, I use this every day by going to library.pressdisplay.com and logging in with an email address and library number.

When I try to log in on this pressreader app I'm asked for an email address and password. It's not accepting the library number as the password.

Any ideas?

Just did it there, create an account on PressReader website and in your account section you should see "Library and Group" under "Social and Linked Networks". Click link and put in your library number and pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just signed up via the wicklow way

but on the pop up screen it said "PressReader HotSpot" and under that "complimentary access 6 days 23 hours left" - could that be because the library number i got is a temporary number

Irish listing is light enough - only 47 titles - Irish Indo, Examiner, Bloomberg and the rest were regional newspapers

lots in the UK/Aus/USA sections though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Sorry I was busy but that's pretty much it. I think I went through Wicklow library site rather than the link you put up and it either gave me a pin or let me choose one. Then in the app I chose Wicklow library and entered my library number (and maybe the pin!) Don't understand the hotspot thing yet either. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I was to get a temporary card number and get access to newspapers on press reader. I also got a message saying this is a 7 day trial... let's see what happens after that. Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

tonkpills wrote: »
    Just did it there, create an account on PressReader website and in your account section you should see "Library and Group" under "Social and Linked Networks". Click link and put in your library number and pin.

Thanks, only Wicklow there, don't want to mess about with duplicate accounts etc, will use the browser until Fingal is included.

I think you may have to bring ID, proof of address and your temp number into a Wicklow library to get a permanent library card or keep setting up one week trials until it comes to your own service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

sweetie wrote: »
    I think you may have to bring ID, proof of address and your temp number into a Wicklow library to get a permanent library card or keep setting up one week trials until it comes to your own service.

It appears Wicklow County Libraries are the only (Irish) Library that have opted into this, am I right ?

So when my week was up i had to re-login and it's still working away fine.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I was to get a temporary card number and get access to newspapers on press reader. I also got a message saying this is a 7 day trial... let's see what happens after that. Thanks for the help

So 7 days are over from when I first registered. When I went back into the PressReader page today, I could click on the newspapers but only the front page was visible, the other were greyed out with a key symbol on them. So I logged out out, logged back in and it is showing I have 6 days and 23 hours left in my trial. so basically the timer has reset again and I have access from my browser.
    Cant complaint... let's see how long this goes on for

• Advertisement

So when my week was up i had to re-login and it's still working away fine.

missed your post sweetie. you were much more succinct than me, but yeah basically still working. good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is this still working?

The past week, when trying to re-login using my library number & pin. I will enter my pin, then hit enter. It will reload the page then just bring me back to entering my pin again.

I've tried across multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Is this still working?

The past week, when trying to re-login using my library number & pin. I will enter my pin, then hit enter. It will reload the page then just bring me back to entering my pin again.

It's working for me there on PC. I'm using a proper library card I got a few weeks ago.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Is this still working?

Working for me. I use the iPad app to read but once a week i need to go into the webpage from the PC and "renew" my temporary, 1 week, subscription. basically i just load a newspaper, i get a lock screen for anything but the front page, when i click on the lock the login/password pop-up window come on. i log in and the timer start again at 6 days, 23 hours etc etc. then it works again from the ipad for another week.
    i have an "unofficial" library card number fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Invalid barcode/library card number :(

Not working at all after I logged out and tried a number starting wíth 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

gar32 wrote: »
    Invalid barcode/library card number :(

Not working at all after I logged out and tried a number starting wíth 4

Try a nine digit number starting with 08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

branners69 wrote: »
    Try a nine digit number starting with 08

that worked for me, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I've just downloaded the PressReader app and have signed in using my email address and password.

Can't read any newspapers for free though, so was testing the Indo and it's looking for €3.49 for one issue.

Where am I going wrong? Read all the posts on here but still confused. I would really appreciate any pointers please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

I think it only works with Wicklow library card. You need to link those two accounts from normal website. If you happy enough to read from standard web browser, use 8 digit random code starting with 08 (Check previous posts)

Moyglish wrote: »
    I've just downloaded the PressReader app and have signed in using my email address and password.

Can't read any newspapers for free though, so was testing the Indo and it's looking for €3.49 for one issue.

Where am I going wrong? Read all the posts on here but still confused. I would really appreciate any pointers please. Thanks.

Are you able to read them from the Press Reader website?

• Advertisement

flintash wrote: »
    I think it only works with Wicklow library card. You need to link those two accounts from normal website. If you happy enough to read from standard web browser, use 8 digit random code starting with 08 (Check previous posts)

I think south dublin have got in on the act now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

I think south dublin have got in on the act now too.

Signed up to Pressreader to give it a go

Unfortunately the only Irish libraries I could find listed after scrolling through the entire list were DLRCC, Fingal, Wicklow & Wexford! :(

Couldn't see SDCC there unless I missed it! :confused:

Why can't this country ever take a standard approach to stuff like this? It always varies from County Council to County Council! Never seems to be any kind of an overall plan! Ah well!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My library card works even if it's not a Wicklow one, but I'm accessing it from a computer, not through the app.

Recently spotted Fingal was available and used the iOS app to download the Indo for free one day last week. Tried it again there now and it’s requesting payment. Anybody know why? Looking at my account it says Subscription Details - pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

podge018 wrote: »
    Recently spotted Fingal was available and used the iOS app to download the Indo for free one day last week. Tried it again there now and it’s requesting payment. Anybody know why? Looking at my account it says Subscription Details - pay as you go.

Still working fine for me through Chrome on android!

Yeah browser is fine. I mean the PressReader app.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

How do you download the papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Is the app not working? Trying to log in to wicklow library on the pressreader app and it says "Library is not available at the moment"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've been getting the same thing with a few weeks now.
    "Library is not available at the moment"
    Doesn't work on any of the apps whether iOS, Android or Windows. Doesn't work on the website either.

Maybe we were just able to use it before due to a glitch that they have fixed or something? Last time it worked, it said I was registered until July 2022.

Is there anyone here from Wicklow who could confirm whether or not Wicklow Library still has Pressreader access?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

duridian wrote: »
    I've been getting the same thing with a few weeks now.
    "Library is not available at the moment"
    Doesn't work on any of the apps whether iOS, Android or Windows. Doesn't work on the website either.

Maybe we were just able to use it before due to a glitch that they have fixed or something? Last time it worked, it said I was registered until July 2022.

Is there anyone here from Wicklow who could confirm whether or not Wicklow Library still has Pressreader access?

In the same boat. For the time being, I've enabled hotspot so since I drive past a library every morning on the way to the dart I get 2-3 hours access, enough time to download all I can.

Advertisement