Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Berlin in Dame St be closed down?

• 16-08-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Because of it breaching social distancing and all that?

Should Berlin be closed down? 730 votes

Yep
    64% 468 votes
    Nope
    35% 262 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Never heard of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll have an exceptionally hard time keeping its licence when it comes up for renewal in September (all licences run October->September) anyway.

Although the last major licence-stripping was 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've heard of Beirut Express on Dame Street, but not Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

L1011 wrote: »
    It'll have an exceptionally hard time keeping its licence when it comes up for renewal in September (all licences run October->September) anyway.

Although the last major licence-stripping was 20 years ago
    It’s not a pub so has no license to renew in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Because of one incident it should be closed down? Bit harsh if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should be closed for 40 days and 40 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Build a wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Because people were in there enjoying themselves?

No.

All the old Facebook fogies having a conniption over this video. Hilarious stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It’s not a pub so has no license to renew in September.

It is, the LVA are trying deflection here by using their exclusionary idea of a pub.

It has a Publicans (Theatre) licence, not a Publicans 7-day; which just means they need a 'performance' (e.g. a DJ) when serving drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

What happened in Berlin Took My Breath Away, I have No More Words but it was only a Matter Of Time. Can someone Tell Me Why etc etc

(Songs by Berlin you Philistines)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It is, the LVA are trying deflection here by using their exclusionary idea of a pub.

It has a Publicans (Theatre) licence, not a Publicans 7-day; which just means they need a 'performance' (e.g. a DJ) when serving drink.

Licence has the same rules (otherwise) and has the same renewal process.

Is that still a goer ? , I remember places in cork that had to do live acts ,because they were told a dj wasn't a performance for licencing purposes ,
    That's a good few years back though. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Licence has the same rules (otherwise) and has the same renewal process.

Barman was making a holy show of the place if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

hairyslug wrote: »
    What happened in Berlin Took My Breath Away, I have No More Words but it was only a Matter Of Time. Can someone Tell Me Why etc etc

(Songs by Berlin you Philistines)

Watching in slow motion. As you turn around and say. Covid-19. Take my breath away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People going up to the bar, one by one taking drinks. Bar man had a Mask on. There were some people dancing in the background, most likely in the groups that they were with already.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Saw the clip. Was fairly stupid what the guy was doing.

Not sure it's fair on the owner to loose the licence because of some dumbass employee.

But it is a kick in the teeth for frontline workers and all those obeying the restrictions and following guidance.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Das ist nicht so gut...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

This means nothing to me

Oh Vienna.

People going up to the bar, one by one taking drinks. Bar man had a Mask on. There were some people dancing in the background, most likely in the groups that they were with already.

What's the problem?

A large proportion of customers weren't wearing masks. No distancing, alcohol being poured straight into people's mouths. You'd be making leaps if you're claiming that they weren't violating the guidelines by a pretty large margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Not sure it's fair on the owner to loose the licence because of some dumbass employee.

But it is a kick in the teeth for frontline workers and all those obeying the restrictions and following guidance.

Yes, but what about if they were to lose their licence?

Remember, if everyone played it loose and free with the rules... where would we be then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be fair to say he must be either thick or didn't receive any Covid training whatsoever? I don't know which is worse :pac:

The premises is not listed as participating in the Failte Ireland Covid 19 Safety Charter....
    https://www.failteireland.ie/Footer/COVID-19-Safety-Charter/List-of-businesses-compliant-with-COVID-19-safety.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Meh. At this stage, I couldn't give a bol**x and no longer care.
    It is up to people to make up their own mind. The authorities have tried their best to keep us safe, there is no more then can do for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There was always going to be some video from somewhere showing young people having fun with minimal social distancing, it was guaranteed, Berlin lost the lottery here but if it wasn't them it would have been somewhere else.

The curtain twitchers will wail and gnash their teeth, the media will lap up the clicks, the government will react to the media just as they always do, NPHET will use it to further their agenda. All very predictable.

Personally I couldn't give a **** about it or any of the nonsense that will be posted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A large proportion of customers weren't wearing masks. No distancing, alcohol being poured straight into people's mouths. You'd be making leaps if you're claiming that they weren't violating the guidelines by a pretty large margin.

Masks are not needed in restaurants.
    Waiters have to serve people food and drink. Social distancing not need to be applied with the serving of food and drink.
    Pouring a drink into somebody's mouth from a distance, barman wearing gloves. Safer than serving from a glass that was touched with the hand.

In fact maybe all alcohol serving restaurants should be doing this?

Excellent job, Berlin. I will make it my business to visit this establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just for context, and there's 2 more after it.
    https://twitter.com/NoelRock/status/1294764775147266049?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

We are still in the midst of a pandemic with no end or vaccine in sight.

All we can realistically do is mitigate against it.

Some people think our reaction as a nation hasnt gone far enough. Others think we have gone into "overkill" with restrictions.

Some people still wont take appropriate or responsible actions to delay or restrict the onward transmission of the virus. Mainly because they domt view it as a big deal and "sure people are dying anyway...rabble rabble...ye are all sheep".

If you dont like wearing a face mask and you dont like lockdowns....well stop acting like *****. The more ***** we have, the longer this will be an issue.

As such, cases are going back up becausd the level of **** behaviour is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Public alcohol consumption + social distancing are not compatible, this has to be acknowledged.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is that still a goer ? , I remember places in cork that had to do live acts ,because they were told a dj wasn't a performance for licencing purposes ,
    That's a good few years back though. ..

Crowbar in Temple Bar gets away with saying that because walking tours start from the premises, its a performance...

Cork has always had stricter judges when it comes to licencing; although I do remember some places in Dublin have fire-eaters or cage dancers as the 'performance' despite having a DJ already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

We are still in the midst of a pandemic with no end or vaccine in sight.

The Russians have one, very minimal testing and I would not take it but they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Sure schools will be packed soon. We had no issues keeping off licenses open and there are still people driving trolleys full of beer out of them for house parties etc
    Until you arrest people nothing will change.
    I'm sure the place will be given a quiet word.
    I hate virtue signalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/moneill2017/status/1248919234211721216?s=21

Just going to leave this here.

They posted on their Facebook page that this was fake news, but more witnesses and alleged photos of inside the hotel emerged.

The post was later removed from their Facebook.

But the GAA was founded there though

https://therave.ie/news/establishment-gains-attention-of-gardai-on-holy-thursday-night/

Advertisement