Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAAF to train IAC Pilots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An interesting pilot scheme! :pac:

But seriously, this could be an effective way to train people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Psychlops wrote: »

is there really 100 IAC Pilots ?

How do they maintain hours ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭sparky42

is there really 100 IAC Pilots ?

How do they maintain hours ?

Nah I think it's been said there's about 80 or so, there's meant to be 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can they bring back a few F-18Fs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Why are they sending them so far away?
    Surely the RAF would be the logical choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Why are they sending them so far away?
    Surely the RAF would be the logical choice?

RAF do not operate that aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Has it being confirmed what aircraft they are going to be training on and what aircraft they will be operating for there during the deployment after training? I believe these aren’t cadets going out so it wouldn’t be the pc9s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

King Airs..

King Airs..

Is that so it will be easier to train casa pilots or what ever aircraft that replaced them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I think they have intention of replacing Casas with updated model of same aircraft.

• Advertisement

The Sqn they are going to operate the King Air for Maritime Patrol.

32 Squadron RAAF, King Air 350's, from what I read, the King Air is used as a lead in & up to the likes of the Casa.

Id hedge my bets that we stick with Casa's. Most likely C295M.

The Sqn they are going to operate the King Air for Maritime Patrol.

32 Squadron RAAF, King Air 350's, from what I read, the King Air is used as a lead in & up to the likes of the Casa.

Id hedge my bets that we stick with Casa's. Most likely C295M.

Think it's pretty much a given that it's the 295, wonder if this is to do with the pilot numbers and the operational rates of the 2 235's?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

RAF do not operate that aircraft.

RAF have King Airs and will soon have Texans T-6, almost identical to PC-9s

I know this not the right place to post this but I think it warrants its own thread. Since we now have a private air ambulance in the south how is it being decided where 112 goes and where it goes as seen the private aircraft was in Galway so it’s not being decided geographically how are they doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

roadmaster wrote: »
    I know this not the right place to post this but I think it warrants its own thread. Since we now have a private air ambulance in the south how is it being decided where 112 goes and where it goes as seen the private aircraft was in Galway so it’s not being decided geographically how are they doing it?

112 was started as a response to Roscommon hospital closing. As such, it's AOR is the midlands-west.

The private service is munster based.

After the two pilots 18 months are up and the Aussies offered them commissions to stay and fly for them would there be anything the government here could do to stop them staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

After the two pilots 18 months are up and the Aussies offered them commissions to stay and fly for them would there be anything the government here could do to stop them staying?

Can you be commissioned as a non-national in Oz?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Can you be commissioned as a non-national in Oz?

I think the Aussies happily take qualified police and military from around the English speaking world

I think the Aussies happily take qualified police and military from around the English speaking world

Have they not restricted that to a limited number of Commonwealth countries though? Broadly aligned with the CANZUK, and not including themselves?

Have they not restricted that to a limited number of Commonwealth countries though? Broadly aligned with the CANZUK, and not including themselves?

RTE had a show about guards that packed the bags and joined the Australian police and I think that’s only a year or two ago

• Advertisement

RTE had a show about guards that packed the bags and joined the Australian police and I think that’s only a year or two ago
    Police, not sure it applies to Mil. Think I heard of one officer transferring a few years back, had to drop a rank.
    UK and CAN transfer and keep rank as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Police, not sure it applies to Mil. Think I heard of one officer transferring a few years back, had to drop a rank.
    UK and CAN transfer and keep rank as far as I know.

Irish officers and NCOs have gone to Aus military. Some dropped rank, some didnt. It depends on the appointment and the persons experience. Its mostly HQ or technical jobs.

I see in the article attached the Air Corps are sending pilots to the US Army for helicopter training between this and the lads going to Australia is this the start of training being outsourced ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/air-corps-emergency-helicopter-restrictions-4959227-Jan2020/

I see in the article attached the Air Corps are sending pilots to the US Army for helicopter training between this and the lads going to Australia is this the start of training being outsourced ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/air-corps-emergency-helicopter-restrictions-4959227-Jan2020/

Interesting, the US army bought a mil spec AW139 recently, wonder if thats connected?

Interesting, the US army bought a mil spec AW139 recently, wonder if thats connected?

I doubt it, their AW139's are not in service yet & wont be for a year or two & their primary role is safety of the US Nuclear Silo arsenal.

I doubt it, their AW139's are not in service yet & wont be for a year or two & their primary role is safety of the US Nuclear Silo arsenal.

How long before we have someone in the Daíl asking are we buying Apaches?

They are probably going to be training on the Lakotas if it’s the US army they are going to then again it could be the USAF you wouldn’t completely trust the journals reporting

A further update on this, 2 pilots are training at Fort Rucker and a further 6 are likely to go to train on Fixed Wing aircraft according to the Minister
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-air-corps-pilots-are-training-in-alabama-with-us-military-1.4353859

sparky42 wrote: »
    A further update on this, 2 pilots are training at Fort Rucker and a further 6 are likely to go to train on Fixed Wing aircraft according to the Minister
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-air-corps-pilots-are-training-in-alabama-with-us-military-1.4353859

Either a good thing or a desperate roll of the dice, perhaps all is not well in Bal & the shortage is getting to extreme measures.

• Advertisement

Either a good thing or a desperate roll of the dice, perhaps all is not well in Bal & the shortage is getting to extreme measures.
    I'm guessing the taskings and the shortfall of pilots mean there's training restrictions. I mean there has been reports of the Air Ambulance eating into pilots availability.

Advertisement