Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RainbowUnicorn

I'm on the reserve list which i have to take as unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

Good luck all. I've got a conditional offer- what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 murph86m

That's something RainbowUnicorn, I scored 86% and was just 'unsuccessful'. Well done dco_1987!

Conditional offer means you got it! Well done! What was your score?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BlowInYank

Reserve list for me. 90, and 91.5 was the cut off.

Thanks for the attempt, Ireland. I'm going to finish my commitments and move home, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 eire32contae

I was unsuccessful too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

For AHSS the cutoff was 87.5, I got a conditional offer (conditional on what??), super delighted but disappointed for everyone on here who didn’t get it. Thanks everyone for all the support and I hope we all end up on our feet!!

Well done! On my email it said the cut-off for AHSS was 91.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

just noticed my email says « category one » of ahss so maybe they had subgroups like a vs h vs ss

• Registered Users Posts: 15 murph86m

Well done! On my email it said the cut-off for AHSS was 91.5

My email said the cut off for category 1 of AHSS was 87.5

• Advertisement

Yeah stem was categorised too. My email says category 1

Yeah mine was category 2 whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

There's still an outside chance. Someone in my department was put on the reserve list and ultimately got it, so it does happen.

DreamByDay wrote: »
    For AHSS the cutoff was 87.5, I got a conditional offer (conditional on what??), super delighted but disappointed for everyone on here who didn’t get it. Thanks everyone for all the support and I hope we all end up on our feet!!

Conditional on sending in transcripts etc proving that you got the grades you said you did, or at least that was the way when I applied. It's then upgraded to full award holder when all that is sorted.

Well done to those who got the IRC and sorry to those who were unsuccessful. Just for those who did not get it- I self funded first year, got faculty funding (TCD) for second year and now IRC. The self funding was really tough, but I survived by teaching and working on the side. Then the faculty funding was €8000 and fees paid. Again, it is really tough but doable with support from family (and an AIB loan.) It can be stressful and really hard sometimes, but don't give up and definitely look into faculty funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

DreamByDay wrote: »
    just noticed my email says « category one » of ahss so maybe they had subgroups like a vs h vs ss

The categories seem to be the category of the applicant, i.e. EU or international. 5.2 or p.6 of the handbook.

I have a conditional offer, now let's see how they like e-transcripts...

dco_1987 wrote: »
    It can be stressful and really hard sometimes, but don't give up and definitely look into faculty funding.
    Please forgive the ignorance but what is faculty funding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jollystorm

BlowInYank wrote: »

I think they are referring to the Ussher fellowship and the Postgraduate Studentship of TCD. As far as I know, the first is open to incoming students but the second one is also open for continuing PhDs. It's not as much, but ways better than nothing and also it's doable with a little part-time work. Usually, the Director of Teaching and Learning should know. In my school the deadline is around May normally

I had good news today, so now I'm hoping that the IRC will like my transcripts...Congrats to those successful in their IRC and sorry to the others. Anyhow, thanks for the support during the wait.

Hey- yes as above. Sorry for not being clear. In Trinity- the Schools have Funding that you can apply for. For incoming first years- there is the Ussher (you can only apply for this if you have received a conditional offer from Trinity). This will cover EU or non EU fees and a stipend of €16,000.

There is "1252 Scholarships" which are €8,000 plus fees paid. New or continuing students can apply.

There is a new scholarship called "Provost Awards" and is €16,000 plus fees paid. This is for new entrants.
    There are teaching requirements for the Trinity scholarships.

Other universities have scholarships too- I only know of Maynooth University's as I did my undergrad and masters there. They have the John and Pat Hume Scholarship, €16,000 plus fees. I think they also have teaching fellowships now as well. Just to note on teaching fellowship- there is massive teaching commitments for that one.

dco_1987 wrote: »
    Other universities have scholarships too- I only know of Maynooth University's as I did my undergrad and masters there. They have the John and Pat Hume Scholarship, €16,000 plus fees.

In NUIG there's the Hardiman Scholarships, the deadline for which was in Feb (€16,000 p.a. plus fees) and the Galway Doctoral Scholarship, with a deadline of 16 April (€15,000 p.a., from which the student levy and fees are paid)

• Advertisement

TCD has transitioned to some kind of programme where potential supervisors create potential theses for students and submit them to go out with funding, i.e. incoming first-years apply for acceptance and funding together in the form of applying to these calls for theses. So, according to the scholarship coordinator, there is a single non-first-year studentship left over for the whole of the history and humanities school...

TCD has transitioned to some kind of programme where potential supervisors create potential theses for students and submit them to go out with funding, i.e. incoming first-years apply for acceptance and funding together in the form of applying to these calls for theses. So, according to the scholarship coordinator, there is a single non-first-year studentship left over for the whole of the history and humanities school...

As far as I know the funding has been cut pretty heavily in Trinity. I know that you used to be able to transfer the balance of a 1252 scholarship to another student, if IRC had been obtained by holder of the 1252. You can no longer to that in my department, don't know about history.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

I was on this boat, and whilst it did not work out, there is enough flux that your chances are not nil. My advice to you has to be to forget about it for now though, or the general anxiety will continue right til about October.

Congratulations and commiserations to all those who got results today. There will be alternative funding options for those who did not succeed, do be vigilant and keep your eyes peeled.

I’ve only been able to tell a dozen people my results (reserve at 90 with a 91.5 cutoff) and three of them asked me if I was going to request an appeal/re-marking. As an American I wouldn’t dream of even asking, but I see that re-marking exam results is a typical part of Irish education. Has anyone ever heard of asking for a re-evaluation?

Oh my god you got 90... that’s so tough, why didn’t they give you the other 1.5 :( I’ve no idea whether you can appeal the decision or not, sorry, I’m guessing you can’t though...

I mean, I get it, I'm not an EU citizen, they have to give us fewer scholarships and thus the cut off is higher. It sucks, but, this at the very least is a line on the CV and anyone who knows IRC knows a 90 is a very high score.

Anyone know about getting feedback? Is there a link for it, or do they email it to us? I don't see any markings on the application PDF, do they update it later?

It said on my e-mail, under the table with the scores: "As stated in the Guide for Applicants, additional qualitative feedback will not be provided."

So I don't think we get any feedback other than the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

You can request your score broken down by category.

As for appeals, I don't believe it would go anywhere unless you could evidence irregularities of some sort in the process--a simple recheck cannot be requested afaik.

Zoinks wrote: »
    You can request your score broken down by category.

As for appeals, I don't believe it would go anywhere unless you could evidence irregularities of some sort in the process--a simple recheck cannot be requested afaik.

Here is the appeals process document for anyone looking.

http://research.ie/assets/uploads/2017/05/declined_funding_appeals_policy_and_prodecures-1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Drakky

Hi! I was just wondering whether anyone knows what the cutoff was for STEM Category 1, please? Thanks!

Advertisement