Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet Addiction?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Derridean deconstruction of Internet addiction. Some literature. Not much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Black Swan wrote: »
    Interesting observations mzungu. Please clarify and expand.
    Given that a lot of the evidence for online addiction seems to be attributable to a whole host of addictive behaviours, I would suggest that it is a symptom of an underlying addiction issue. i do not doubt that it exists, but more that it should be categorised as simply an addiction. At present, are studies examining it within the confines of research to date in the area? If so, then the results are always going to back up the idea that it exists, as opposed to finding out whether these people had addictive personalities before. We should also remember, that as new evidence emerges, ideas can be refined and what was designated as an addiction today, may not be in a few years time when we know more about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Postmodern philosophy has not been well received, especially in America, and Jacques Derrida was probably the best known in this domain. His challenge of dichotomies alone threatened classical and modern philosophies that relied upon determining truth vs falsehood.
    Wrongly in my opinion. I would be critical of a lot of postmodern theories, but I would not throw out the baby with the bathwater. There is a lot there that is useful, and also a lot that is not.
    Popper's theoretical contributions were without doubt significant to today's scientific method.

I wonder? Could someone deconstruct the theories applied, or empirical research cited, or diagnoses used (to define, measure, explain, predict, or treat Internet addiction)?
    I think trying to falsify it would be as good a place as any to start, and that goes for a lot of research. Hence, if one would like to get to the bottom of internet addiction, Popper would be a good place to start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Cautions that some Internet addiction studies are anecdotal. Case studies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The scholarly literature pertaining to Internet addiction appears to be decontextualising from long established forms of addiction to the specific Internet variety. To what extent could this be misleading or spurious? And as suggested above, case study research is highly subjective at the individual unit of analysis, nonrepresentative, and cannot be generalised to a population of Internet users or abusers.

• Advertisement

The scholarly literature pertaining to Internet addiction appears to be decontextualising from long established forms of addiction to the specific Internet variety. To what extent could this be misleading or spurious? And as suggested above, case study research is highly subjective at the individual unit of analysis, nonrepresentative, and cannot be generalised to a population of Internet users or abusers.

Would this leave us at the junction where we would need to hold off another decade or three and wait until a sufficient body of work has been published before we can examine whether this could be an actual specific addiction, rather than just a general addiction?

mzungu wrote: »
    Would this leave us at the junction where we would need to hold off another decade or three and wait until a sufficient body of work has been published before we can examine whether this could be an actual specific addiction, rather than just a general addiction?
    It literature is to inform policy. Yes.

Fathom wrote: »
    It literature is to inform policy. Yes.

Presently the cart has gone before the horse!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Media and politics driven decisions don't always make for good policy.

Presently the cart has gone before the horse!
    Normal state of cultural affairs.
    Media and politics driven decisions don't always make for good policy.
    Typical backwards approach.

• Advertisement

"Internet addiction appears as mental health concern for UK university students. 3.2% of the students were classified as being addicted to the Internet." Source: Daria J.Kuss, Mark D.Griffiths, and Jens F.Binder, Internet addiction in students: Prevalence and risk factors, Computers in Human Behavior, Volume 29, Issue 3, May 2013, Pages 959-966.

Alternatively, perhaps Internet use is simply and more generally a different type of existence, to that offered by the three dimensional, less compliant real world...

Ref: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-change/201504/is-surfing-the-internet-addictive

A "fine line between enjoyment and addiction", but where does personal responsibility come into it?

If playing to many games starts to impact on ones life, who is to blame?

Link:https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/features/highs-and-lows-of-gaming-a-fine-line-between-enjoyment-and-addiction-860642.html

New research based definitions of addiction and responsibility during a rapidly changing technological evolution?

New research based definitions of addiction and responsibility during a rapidly changing technological evolution?

It appears to have entered the entertainment industry...
    Russell Kane has said he is having counselling for internet addiction.

The comedian said he is no longer in control of how he uses his phone so has sought help.

Speaking on his Joe.co.uk podcast, Boys Don’t Cry with Russell Kane, he said: “I’ll throw something out there. I’ve had six counselling sessions for internet addiction. Six, because it’s affecting my life.

Link: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/russell-kane-ive-had-counselling-sessions-for-internet-addiction-858240.html

It appears to have entered the entertainment industry...
    When you said entertainment, the first thing that popped into my mind was something humourous like a skit by Trevor Noah, or Stephen Colbert, or Seth Meyers. Rereading your quote I now see it was a more serious concern for Internet addiction.

Few diagnostic tools exist that measure Internet addiction with reliability and validity. A factorial study of the Young Internet Addiction Test (IAT) online version suggested two factors that explained 91% of the total variance: dependent use and excessive use. The sample was purposive and small (n=215). More studies should be conducted. Reference: Lauren A. Jelenchickab, Tara Beckerc, and Megan A. Morenoa, Assessing the psychometric properties of the Internet Addiction Test (IAT) in US college students, Psychiatry Research, Volume 196, Issues 2–3, 30 April 2012, Pages 296-301.

When you said entertainment, the first thing that popped into my mind was something humourous like a skit by Trevor Noah, or Stephen Colbert, or Seth Meyers. Rereading your quote I now see it was a more serious concern for Internet addiction.
    I was thinking more that when things like this become tabloid fodder it merely becomes just another point of gossip to sell magazines and whatnot. No disrespect to the comedian I mentioned in my post above, he obviously has some psychological issue that needs to be attended to. I am not sure that internet addiction becoming an addiction du jour to flog papers will further understanding about it.
    Few diagnostic tools exist that measure Internet addiction with reliability and validity. A factorial study of the Young Internet Addiction Test (IAT) online version suggested two factors that explained 91% of the total variance: dependent use and excessive use. The sample was purposive and small (n=215). More studies should be conducted.

Reference: Lauren A. Jelenchickab, Tara Beckerc, and Megan A. Morenoa, Assessing the psychometric properties of the Internet Addiction Test (IAT) in US college students, Psychiatry Research, Volume 196, Issues 2–3, 30 April 2012, Pages 296-301.
    Would you say study also across multiple countries/cultures too is in order to spot any recurring traits that occur with all groupings?

I was thinking more that when things like this become tabloid fodder it merely becomes just another point of gossip to sell magazines and whatnot.
    Unfortunately the red tops profit, while the literature does not.

Sensationalized Internet addiction content. Ratings and sales attract advertisers. Advertisers provide profit. Ethics of journalism of small consequence.

• Advertisement

Sensationalized Internet addiction content. Ratings and sales attract advertisers. Advertisers provide profit. Ethics of journalism of small consequence.

It's all about the money now. There is good journalism out there, however it gets weighed under with a lot of the sub-standard stuff. Essentially, they (legacy media) are still grappling with the digital age!

It's all about the money now. There is good journalism out there, however it gets weighed under with a lot of the sub-standard stuff. Essentially, they (legacy media) are still grappling with the digital age!
    Agree.

One wonders, is online gaming addiction different to say, a social media addiction? Or a general browsing addiction? Does everything internet related come under the umbrella?

I've seen both online gaming addiction and Internet addiction citations in the scholarly literature, often separated by topic. One would think that they may be treated differently, although I am uncertain that the marginal notes in DSM V make a difference evident.

Brian D. Ng and Peter Wiemer-Hastings (June 2005), Addiction to the Internet and Online Gaming, CyberPsychology & BehaviorVol. 8, No. 2.

I've seen both online gaming addiction and Internet addiction citations in the scholarly literature, often separated by topic. One would think that they may be treated differently, although I am uncertain that the marginal notes in DSM V make a difference evident.
    Brian D. Ng and Peter Wiemer-Hastings (June 2005), Addiction to the Internet and Online Gaming, CyberPsychology & BehaviorVol. 8, No. 2.
    The Net Addiction states that the types of net addiction are "related to Internet gambling, shopping, eBay, or to gaming in general can be explained using the ACE Model, developed in the late 90s to describe the variables that make online use addictive".

Accessibility - Prior to the net, one had to travel to gamble, now the only travelling you have to do is the walk to wherever in your house the computer is.

Control - People now have personal control over their online activities and the compulsive behaviour can be hidden quite easily.

Excitement - A rush that comes with winning, or thinking you might (the house always wins remember).

The Center for Internet Addiction? CBT-IA? Digital Detox? Should caution be used regarding this site?

Digital detox? Interesting concept.

There are daily addiction advertisements on the telly, but they deal with drugs and alcohol, not Internet addiction. Makes me wonder when they will add the latest item to the addiction list?

• Advertisement

The Center for Internet Addiction? CBT-IA? Digital Detox? Should caution be used regarding this site?
    Most of the stuff on the site is fairly run of the mill for this kind of thing. I wouldn't treat it as being definitive, but rather one voice in the discussion kind of thing...even if that voice is wide of the mark!

Advertisement