Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just a note the chime is available on Amazon

Ring Chime - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EKA9VAA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6u7Gyb9TTDBE2

25 pounds at the time of posting

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Davy wrote: »
    You can use an existing mechanical chime with the pro.

You can have their chime working with this at the same time if you wish. You decide during setup in the app which way you want.

Thanks, must have picked that up wrong from the ring site. Appeared from reading that they were providing a free chime to European customers as the jump up in voltage and addition of transformer would mean some existing chimes would not work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yesap wrote:
    Thanks, must have picked that up wrong from the ring site. Appeared from reading that they were providing a free chime to European customers as the jump up in voltage and addition of transformer would mean some existing chimes would not work.

Yeah it works exactly like the other one except that it has to be wired there's no option.

With the standard one, like mine you can mount it anywhere within wifi range and pop a chime in the house.

This one will need to be powered by the wiring
    However I assume you can give it 16V but just use the wifi chime

But if you have a regular Doorbell wired up this should be a like for like the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I have my Ring Motion Detection turning on a LightwaveRF light via IFTTT. And it works perfectly.

But now I want it to turn on this light and turn it off after a period of 10 minutes. Any ideas?

I need an IFTTT then IFTTT.

Has me stumped.

Dummy wrote:
    I need an IFTTT then IFTTT.

No, this is simple enough.

Make the event in lightwaverf

Call it light timer for example
    Set it to

Turn on light
    Add a delay 30 seconds
    Turn off light

Then set up the IFTTT applet but load up the events channel and use the light timer event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Eventually found a promo code for $25 off on the US ring.com website. Code is 6LHCA90056

Can I ask any existing users did the 24V transformer from Amazon work ok? Plan is to just power the unit directly and use a chime as the bell. Currently have an 8V transformer I plan to swap out.

john4321 wrote:
    Can I ask any existing users did the 24V transformer from Amazon work ok? Plan is to just power the unit directly and use a chime as the bell. Currently have an 8V transformer I plan to swap out.

I'm confused, if you are powering the uint directly why are you swapping out the 8V traffo? Surely it would be redundant.

If you are changing the traffo surely you are just leaving your existing wiring as is, changing out the traffo and wiring the ring unit up exactly like your old door bell?

Am I missing something?

I was under the impression the Ring needed an input voltage of 24V so the new transformer would step down the voltage from 230V to 24V. I didnt think 8V was enough to power the unit?

john4321 wrote:
    I was under the impression the Ring needed an input voltage of 24V so the new transformer would step down the voltage from 230V to 24V. I didnt think 8V was enough to power the unit?

There's guys here powering it from. 12V. The recommended range is 16 to 24V

You are correct 8V is not enough. However if you have the traffo replaced you just need to swap your bell push for the ring unit, it was the independently powered remark you made that confused me, sorry, you still intend to just power it from the fuse board.

Some people are powering them from a plug in unit, and just buying the ring chime,linking the ring bell to the ring chime over wifi.

But you old door bell will still ring, you won't need the ring chime unless you want it as an additional unit, your old door bell will be faster than the ring chime though,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the advise. Yes I intend to power it from the fuse board. I will just wire in the new transformer as the cable is already ran to the front door from the fuse board. Ill be ditching the old bell though and just use the chimes the few second delay is not an issue for me.

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply and appreciate the advise. Yes I intend to power it from the fuse board. I will just wire in the new transformer as the cable is already ran to the front door from the fuse board. Ill be ditching the old bell though and just use the chimes the few second delay is not an issue for me.

I ditched my old door bell too. It was big plastic box with battery space, turns out getting them without battery space and looking OK was more difficult than I thought.

I ended up with a small chrome buzzer that I stuck to the side of the fuse board cabinet.

It was 6 euro on Amazon, it's just a buzzing sound not as loud as the old bell but it's good back up if wifi is down , with the buzzer and the alerts on two phones we don't miss any calls to the door, with the phone giving us notification of a call and the buzzer in the hall I'd have no use for the chime, they are a bit bulky IMO and take up a socket 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mikeyb

john4321 wrote: »
    Eventually found a promo code for $25 off on the US ring.com website. Code is 6LHCA90056

Not sure if I'm too late for you but I used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K1CWEUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed without a hitch. It's designed for a rail in a breaker box but I used it as is under a table in the hall. Not recommending the rail type unit, it's all they had. I'm not an electrician but it worked perfectly for me :-)

Thanks thats the one I went with waiting for it to arrive from Amazon. Great to know it worked with the Ring.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ring Video Doorbell Pro when purchased in Europe, includes a 24VAC and also includes a Ring Chime.
    https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000148786-Video-Doorbell-Pro-EU

Looks like I'll have to order one .:D:D

Just a quick note I ordered from the US website and received the Ring Pro today. It was shipped from Hong Kong and included the 24v transformer and a chime.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Just a quick note I ordered from the US website and received the Ring Pro today. It was shipped from Hong Kong and included the 24v transformer and a chime.

Was it more expensive than the US version and did you have to pay taxes on the bell.
    Thanks

noel100 wrote: »
    Was it more expensive than the US version and did you have to pay taxes on the bell.
    Thanks

I didn't select a version on the US website just international shipping and it arrived as stated via Fedex. It seems they ship the correct one for the country its being delivered to. I didn't pay any additional taxes. Took around an hour to setup including installing the new transformer. Also promo code 6LHCA90056 still seems to be working to save $25.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I didn't select a version on the US website just international shipping and it arrived as stated via Fedex. It seems they ship the correct one for the country its being delivered to. I didn't pay any additional taxes. Took around an hour to setup including installing the new transformer. Also promo code 6LHCA90056 still seems to be working to save $25.

Did delivery take long ? mine shipped yesterday .

sharkman wrote: »
    Did delivery take long ? mine shipped yesterday .

Mine shipped from HK last Wednesday and arrived in Dublin via Paris on Saturday. Was due to be delivered yesterday but I was not at home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi,

ive been reading this thread and thinking about buying one of these for ages, i see it was delivered by FedEx, ive got a load of stuff delivered by them in the past and they always change customs AND their ridiculous handling charges. they dont do it at the door, you will get a letter in a few weeks about it. I hope you dont, but FedEx are the ones that always charge me.

• Advertisement

I had ordered 2 chimes with the unit and a 24v transformer from amazon so now have 1 chime and transformer spare if anyone wants them.

I had ordered 2 chimes with the unit and a 24v transformer from amazon so now have 1 chime and transformer spare if anyone wants them.

I may be interested in the chime ( depending on how loud mine is when it arrives).

sharkman wrote: »
    I may be interested in the chime ( depending on how loud mine is when it arrives).

Did you order from the us or uk website? Interested to know if they are all shipped from hk. I went with the us site based on price wasn't expecting the extra chime etc.

Did you order from the us or uk website? Interested to know if they are all shipped from hk. I went with the us site based on price wasn't expecting the extra chime etc.

I ordered from US website,I called them to ensure I got the UK traffo . It shipped from HK , says it will be delivered by tomorrow.

It finally arrived !!!

Now looking for a wee bit of help , My doorbell has only two wires coming into it not four like in the installation pamphlet . Do I just jump these ?

sharkman wrote:
    Now looking for a wee bit of help , My doorbell has only two wires coming into it not four like in the installation pamphlet . Do I just jump these ?

No you only need two. Read it again you shouldn't need the other two at all.

Someone attempted to open my car , have it on the camera.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

No Way! Thats mad, my worry with these cameras is that you do actually see someone snooping around my wife is going mad about this. she would rather live in ignorance haha. im going to get camera signs and put one on my shed and maybe a small one out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

my worry with these cameras is that you do actually see someone snooping around my wife is going mad about this. she would rather live in ignorance haha.

My grandmother refused to get a house alarm in case anyone robbed them because they must have something to protect, she also refused to get security lights in case she saw something... You can't account for humans logic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No Way! Thats mad, my worry with these cameras is that you do actually see someone snooping around my wife is going mad about this. she would rather live in ignorance haha. im going to get camera signs and put one on my shed and maybe a small one out the front.

I'll never forget waking up one morning to find a hand print on the outside of an upstairs bedroom window :eek:

Someone most have used a ladder!

Also crowbar damage on the front door another time :(

BTW I know an old lady who bought an ex-garda bike in a sale and parked it outside her house. Was the only house on the street never broken into :D

Advertisement