Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good deals on Beds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jeanpaul

Hi Groutgh

You are probally right but this suite was something out of this world. It was nothing like the usual suites that you would see in any of the normal run of the mill furniture shops. It was 100% Leather. All the original manufacturers labels and guarantees were still attached. Both the 2 and 3 seater had to be joined on installation because of the size and weight of them. If i had the money i would have went for it but the bed was my priority for now. Maybe next month if its still there. Might ring them tomorrow to ask the exact make and model and check it out. Good advice Groutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

The groutch-have you been down to this guys store?Maybe you should wait until you have before you give your normal 'groutchy'opinion.I bought a superking size bed from this guy for €300 last year,best buy ever.He seems a decent guy,selling quality stuff at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

just ordered a 6ft bed with base and headboard. Duvets and sheets included. €385 including delivery to Dundalk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

toby2111 wrote: »
    The groutch-have you been down to this guys store?Maybe you should wait until you have before you give your normal 'groutchy'opinion.I bought a superking size bed from this guy for €300 last year,best buy ever.He seems a decent guy,selling quality stuff at great prices.

I'm sure his stuff is very good, all I was saying is that some of these "WAS" prices have to be taken with a grain of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigalk

bought a Dreams mattress of Mickey a few weeks back. Found it listed since at £950 in the UK, although Mickey told us its retail price here was €1600-1700

We got the mattress, a good quality 4 drawer divan, a serious headboard (would estimate 150-200 elsewhere), 2 oil canvasses, 2 sets of king size sheets and some gardenware for €675 delivered to Roscommon.

I have to say its the best money i ever spent. the bed is an absolute beaut.

Only negative comment I would make is the price Mickey told us the mattress retails for was well over the reality.

All said - cant recommend highly enough. If your local you would be crazy not to check him out, you really have to get down there to see what he has on offer!!

Adding the phrases: cheap beds, cheap memory foam mattress, cheap pocket sprung mattress
    so people can google the thread

• Advertisement

Bigalk- You say that you found the mattress was £950 Stg in Uk and that you were told it was €1600 or €1700. I think £950 is like €1200 and then you have transport costs from Uk. Did you check how much the mattress was in S.Ireland. We all know that we are ripped off here by retailers in comparison to Uk. Thats why ASDA in Enniskillen is packed with people from the south all the time. Perhaps it is €1600/€1700 in the south. Maybe he is telling you the truth. I have seen the bed i bought of Mickey in a big shop for €2150 and i got it for €500 with extras trown in. The only downside was the plastic wrappers were a bit torn but the bed itself was like brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone buy Silentnight Miratex Foam Mattresseses off him? Wondering how they are comfort wise? He seems to have a deal on them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

well im in dublin and i bought a 6 foot superking bed for 750.

its a pocketspring and memory foam mattress and it seemed like great value.

the guy said it comes with a 3 year manufacturers warranty and its not a floormodel or anything like that so it seems to be the cheapest one ive seen so far.

i dont want to name the shop because im not sure about the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

@Bigalk... I just bought a Dreams Rest Assured pocket sprung latex topper king size mattress at Big Mickey's sale last weekend, i'm always comparing prices on websites and shops. In our local big furniture shop the mattress was on offer for €1749, I paid €500 for the identical mattress from Big Mickey. The other shop quoted 3 weeks delivery, and Big Mickey delivered it 3 hours later.. and took my old mattress away for free even tho they do charge for this service normally...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

phill106 wrote: »
    Anyone buy Silentnight Miratex Foam Mattresseses off him? Wondering how they are comfort wise? He seems to have a deal on them at the moment.

Yeah I bought two of those off him. There for spare beds but I did end up sleeping on one of them for a couple of nights and they are dead comfy! He advertises alot on www.donedeal.ie, just search for www.bigmickey.ie .
    The last time I was there he had some fantastic deals on duvets. I've a couple of superking beds in the house and my pulse slowed when I priced stuff for them locally. Mick sorted me out for the lot for a fraction of the cost.
    I've since purchased lots of different things from coffee tables to chrome bar stools for my breakfast counter. I couldnt recommend him highly enough because my house would be very bare other wise! Thank you recession!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

pablo21 wrote: »
    Yeah I bought two of those off him. There for spare beds but I did end up sleeping on one of them for a couple of nights and they are dead comfy! He advertises alot on www.donedeal.ie, just search for www.bigmickey.ie .
    The last time I was there he had some fantastic deals on duvets. I've a couple of superking beds in the house and my pulse slowed when I priced stuff for them locally. Mick sorted me out for the lot for a fraction of the cost.
    I've since purchased lots of different things from coffee tables to chrome bar stools for my breakfast counter. I couldnt recommend him highly enough because my house would be very bare other wise! Thank you recession!!

How much did you pay for the 2 mattresses and did he deliver? Am looking to buy 2 too so was wondering if I could haggle him down to €300 for a pair? Is the mattress on the thin side as it doesn't look that deep from the photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Just adding my own experience to this thread… purchased a King-sized divan from Mick on Sunday. Took the trip up to see him and was glad I did. I got a rest assured Sicily mattress along with a beautiful base which was spring loaded and has 4 drawers, two of which were half drawers which is perfect for me because it means I can still open with my beside lockers.. Including delivery I got the whole lot for 700. I’m not a haggler myself, but he’s a sound chap and I think I done well, as the price of the mattress alone in the UK seems to be £929… according this link below, not sure how much it would be here.

http://www.dreams.co.uk/mattresses/mattresses/memory-foam-latex/memoryfoam-mat/sicily-mattress/131-00149/product

It’s all prefect… mattress is spotless and so comfortable, the base had 1 or 2 sight marks but they are so small and you don’t see them anyways. On the delivery side, got a call the day before to say they would be delivering the next day and then got a call that morning to say they were on the way and then another call to say they were 15 mins away.. Just excellent in general. It’s great to see an Irish supplier offering these prices and level of service. Anyways I’m a happy customer…;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

How does this guy sell them so cheap?

I think they are after volume- Quick sale and small profit- there are mountains of beds and mattresses down there. Its a massive place. I think that their delivery service is what does it also. They offer same day delivery and they have the beds in stock ready to go where other shops only order them when the customer gives a deposit and deliver several weeks later. Also it generally only opens once a month for a 3 day sale so overheads are at a minimum. If you want anything mid-month you have to make an appointment. I think thats how it works. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

darkside71 wrote: »
    Just adding my own experience to this thread… purchased a King-sized divan from Mick on Sunday. Took the trip up to see him and was glad I did. I got a rest assured Sicily mattress along with a beautiful base which was spring loaded and has 4 drawers, two of which were half drawers which is perfect for me because it means I can still open with my beside lockers.. Including delivery I got the whole lot for 700. I’m not a haggler myself, but he’s a sound chap and I think I done well, as the price of the mattress alone in the UK seems to be £929… according this link below, not sure how much it would be here.

http://www.dreams.co.uk/mattresses/mattresses/memory-foam-latex/memoryfoam-mat/sicily-mattress/131-00149/product

It’s all prefect… mattress is spotless and so comfortable, the base had 1 or 2 sight marks but they are so small and you don’t see them anyways. On the delivery side, got a call the day before to say they would be delivering the next day and then got a call that morning to say they were on the way and then another call to say they were 15 mins away.. Just excellent in general. It’s great to see an Irish supplier offering these prices and level of service. Anyways I’m a happy customer…;)

+1
    I am just back and bought the same as yourself well the mattress and base and we went for a wallnut head board and am very happy with the price :D:D:D I will post up here what it is like when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Glad to see people are still getting use from this thread.. Must print it up n bring it down to him and try n get some free stuff ;-)

We've had our bed a year now and it is still without doubt the comfiest bed we've ever slept in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Carpenter wrote: »
    +1
    I am just back and bought the same as yourself well the mattress and base and we went for a wallnut head board and am very happy with the price :D:D:D I will post up here what it is like when I get it.

You won't be disappointed.. It's probably the best bed I've ever purchased.. :D The only problem is trying to get out of it:rolleyes: The guy even called me today to ask was everything alright with it and told me to call him if there's ever any problems... I don't think I ever had that from purchasing from a shop before in Ireland.. Just excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

darkside71 wrote: »
    You won't be disappointed.. It's probably the best bed I've ever purchased.. :D The only problem is trying to get out of it:rolleyes: The guy even called me today to ask was everything alright with it and told me to call him if there's ever any problems... I don't think I ever had that from purchasing from a shop before in Ireland.. Just excellent..

Cheers nice to know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donabyrne

Hi all

went down to mick on Mon and bought a super kingsize divan bed with headboard, but saw a gorgeous leather bed that was out of my price range. I rang mick back and he e mailed pictures for my hubby to see and we struck a deal!!!!!! got a real leather bed with a matress that is so thick you would not believe for €800 he delivered to Arklow for free also. Could not recommend him highly enough and will def go back to him if and when i need more furniture.
    unklerosco wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/furniture/994962

Went down to this guy just over a week ago... He's got some good deals on beds down there. Some of the beds have stains on them or a old looking etc etc but for the money they cant be beaten. He's got other beds down there... He'd a Rest Assured matress(sprung with latex top) with a sprung base(with drawers) with headboard for €650... Exact same spec of bed in Dublin was €2300 without the headboard n drawers...

He's a sound bloke n up for a bit of a haggle... I got a few quid off n a duvet thrown in... And if nothing else, his websites got a great name(his names Mick)

www.bigmickey.ie

For an idea of deal, this is one of the headboards u can get with the beds(http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6678601/Trail/searchtext%3EHEADBOARD.htm) its that exact headboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

Purchased two mattresses from Mick today. Both were the mattress in a box type, one SilentNight and the other a Sealy.

These mattresses are made from Mirafoam which is unbelieveably supportive and you should try one out if you have a bad back.

Nice guy to deal with and threw in a lovely pillow as well!! Will be going back for some furniture in the not to distant future.

Do yourself a favour pay Mick a visit and grab a bargain while you can!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

macker64 wrote: »
    Purchased two mattresses from Mick today. Both were the mattress in a box type, one SilentNight and the other a Sealy.

These mattresses are made from Mirafoam which is unbelieveably supportive and you should try one out if you have a bad back.

Nice guy to deal with and threw in a lovely pillow as well!! Will be going back for some furniture in the not to distant future.

Do yourself a favour pay Mick a visit and grab a bargain while you can!!! :D

How much did you pay for the 2 mattresses? Did you haggle with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Wow..Mr Mickey seems to be very popular with boardsies with about a dozen posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

The Fool wrote: »
    Wow..Mr Mickey seems to be very popular with boardsies with about a dozen posts....

There is no Foolin you...!!
    He must have planned this well if he got access to my account, roscos account , carpenters account, pablos account, crafts account, bigneacys account, ect ect ect, not going back through them all, and also registered accounts in..

oct 2006, aug 2009, sept 2008

just in case this thread ever came about on boards.

Awwe, as i lie back on my lovely and comfy bigmickey mattress!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

PIMPHO wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the 2 mattresses and did he deliver? Am looking to buy 2 too so was wondering if I could haggle him down to €300 for a pair? Is the mattress on the thin side as it doesn't look that deep from the photos?

I paid 199 each for the silent nights and I had a van with me. He threw in a 48 pack of Andrex Toilet tissue with it though when I haggled! Every bit helps eh! My sis told me he only has the Sealy matress's left now though. He has some lovely furniture there too. I bought a beautiful coffee table off him too. He rang me back too a few days after purchasing the first beds off him to see how I liked it and whether I'd gotten a good sleep!!! I've never heard of anywhere else doing that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Anybody get the Sealy true form mattress in a box from Mick? Thinking of buying one for the bad back and wondering if they are of any use at all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tepo

Thanks to boards i purchaed a clatter of stuff this weekend from mick. Over the moon with the prices. Delivery taking place tomorrow if he keeps his word. Will post again when i receive all. Just for an idea of some of the stuff. Got an Oak double wardrobe/4 drawer chest/bedside locker all for €299. Superking complete bed €299, 3+2 couch ex house of frazer €599 for the pair, 2 Sealy True form mattress (in a box) €199 each, 14 yards of Miliken carpet tiles €8 @ yard, 7 boxes of Krono 8mm Laminate €120, Dorma Superking duvet cover/pillow cases €30, Dorma sheets €10. I am told the Dorma Superking covers are €180 alone. Getting other stuff also can't remember it all. Will post after he delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Went to Longford on Saturday to see if I could pick up a few bargains for my new house and was very dissapointed. Most of the stuff is far from stylish and seems to be very old stock.

I really don't know how you can say that! You must have been in the wrong shop. I saw no rubbish or old looking stuff when i was there and some of my friends have also purchased stuff there this week and are all very happy with the quality of what they got and also the delivery service. They even assembled the beds and took the packaging away. I will agree that they also sell transport marked goods and floor display models at a further discounted price but not old looking stuff.

You know the old saying "there's always one ".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i wont take these deals lying down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

jeanpaul wrote: »
    I really don't know how you can say that! You must have been in the wrong shop. I saw no rubbish or old looking stuff when i was there and some of my friends have also purchased stuff there this week and are all very happy with the quality of what they got and also the delivery service. They even assembled the beds and took the packaging away. I will agree that they also sell transport marked goods and floor display models at a further discounted price but not old looking stuff.

You know the old saying "there's always one ".

I was definetley in the right place. I never said he had rubbish or the stuff was poor ''quality''. Just wanst impressed with what was on sale and most of what I saw in the shop was not what I would call stylish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement