Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Losing Tom King and Joey B as coaches is a huge blow to SBG. Probably the two best black belt coaches the gym has ever produced.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    To be fair he's in a tough spot; he has to side with John or he'll be kicked out of the box-room.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Bit of a sad story really, whatever the truth, repeated countlessly since time immeroial - success breeding contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The good news to come from this, is that we should have a few decent gyms popping up around the place.
    Team KF are already doing well, and where-ever Joey goes, will get a very good BJJ guy.

Few decent lads from the Mullingar gym as well, Tyrone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

To be fair he's in a tough spot; he has to side with John or he'll be kicked out of the box-room.

He would in his sh!te be kicked out by Kavanagh who ain't going to mess with the golden goose and you wouldn't blame him

• Advertisement

He would in his sh!te be kicked out by Kavanagh who ain't going to mess with the golden goose and you wouldn't blame him
    James definitely isn't the golden goose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Yeah... I doubt JG has made John much if any money at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Didn't John train a couple of the lads for free at the start?

I thought that was mentioned by some of them.

Those lads built his business by teaching for free for years and years.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    James definitely isn't the golden goose

Yep my mistake

Thought that was a McGregor tweet

Gallagher is definitely someone to tow behind JK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The good news to come from this, is that we should have a few decent gyms popping up around the place.
    Team KF are already doing well, and where-ever Joey goes, will get a very good BJJ guy.

Few decent lads from the Mullingar gym as well, Tyrone etc.

Joey is the BJJ coach in SBG D24.

I wouldn't have thought his "I'm out" comment would've meant he was leaving Paddy's gym? Unless he's getting away from the SBG name altogether?

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »

I wouldn't have thought his "I'm out" comment would've meant he was leaving Paddy's gym? Unless he's getting away from the SBG name altogether?
    Ah, I thought from that tweet he was gone from SBG altogether. Possibly still is in D24 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »

Hence my earlier question...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yep my mistake

Thought that was a McGregor tweet

Gallagher is definitely someone to tow behind JK

Easy mistake to make given how Gallagher styles every last thing about his life after McGregor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

darced wrote: »
    Those lads built his business by teaching for free for years and years.

Fair enough.

I was just putting it out there.

I am quite literally just a random guy on the internet when it comes to these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not sure where to post this but BT Sport 1 are showing the Chuck & Tito 30 for 30 documentary tonight at 10 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Hopefully he's sober during the interview.

Macdarack wrote: »

If Nick was to be fully sober, it would probably be reminiscent of that scene in Fr Ted for Fr Jack

Lads. For someone who's never kickboxed in any manner before, this is ****ing ridiculously smooth, especially for a man his size.

He's actually scarily fluid in his striking already.

This might actually happen, and he might actually do well.

https://twitter.com/MTKGlobal/status/1193188242406948864?s=19

• Advertisement

I suspect Fury's been training a while. Recall him throwing a few kicks messing around a while back and thinking that's not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I suspect Fury's been training a while. Recall him throwing a few kicks messing around a while back and thinking that's not bad...

Tyson has been training and sparring with kickboxers for years, he spent a lot of time in Holland with all the top kickboxing lads. I remember an interview years ago where he went into it and how his legs were conditioned to kicks etc.

I'd say that was 5 years ago at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not the slightest bit surprised a champion boxer can kick up straight elbows and knees. Body position is pretty similar to boxing.
    Turning over your hips for a roundhouse will be much more unnatural for him I imagine.

But striking won't the issue if it happens. Would love to see it.
    This maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6x-0bi2nk

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Alot of hate for JK this week. I did ask TK a question regarding the 5k fee, did he expect to use the SBG brand for free. He didn't answer, I can appreciate if TK did provide free classes for years and for this expected some sort of alternative payment ie use of the brand for free.

JK needs to stop with the smart arse tweets he constantly does. He wrote a comment to Ben Askren today making a sly remark. He needs to just fuk off and stop thinking he's a comedian.

So much for the SBG family bull****. I hope Chris Field's and Paddy Hoolihan do well and make a decent living, 2 decent blokes who didn't make the McGregor money, but remained honest decent lads. They might never millionaires, but I don't think they'd want that, making a living would be sufficient.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not the slightest bit surprised a champion boxer can kick up straight elbows and knees. Body position is pretty similar to boxing.
    Turning over your hips for a roundhouse will be much more unnatural for him I imagine.

But striking won't the issue if it happens. Would love to see it.

This maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6x-0bi2nk

Not that vid...but something like it.

Shrewd business move on Fury's part. WWE, MMA talk all very sound for building on his US profile. Plus he actually has the leverage to get something like this going...

Anyone listening to Nick Diaz interview on Ariel?

I know he was never great at public speaking, but he is really starting to sound as if he might have CTE or something.

Nick sounds like he is kinda jealous of Nate. He is talking about how Nate has got the big fights with Conor/Masvidal etc; also talking about how Nate has a family and how he would like a family himself.

It sounds like Nate has his life together with his career and family, while Nicks life seems to be all over the place, partying all the time and has no career or family. The only thing Nick seems to have going for himself is his academy.

:( I feel really bad for Nick. I hope he gets his life back on track and finds happiness.

I know he was never great at public speaking, but he is really starting to sound as if he might have CTE or something.

I've seen a few clips of him on YouTube the last few months and thought he was just on a bing, I watched some of today's interview and found him hard to follow, do you think it's brain damage? It's hard to watch on many levels.

Macdarack wrote: »
    I've seen a few clips of him on YouTube the last few months and thought he was just on a bing, I watched some of today's interview and found him hard to follow, do you think it's brain damage? It's hard to watch on many levels.

Brain damage? drugs? or maybe both. Its hard to tell but whatever it is I hope he gets himself sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Yeah he made no sense at all. Usually poor enough but that was very hard to watch and listen to. Maybe on something or whatever but I think he needs help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement