Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour party leader Alan Kelly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

gmisk wrote: »
    Hollow vessels and all that...
    Something he learned from watching the fishwife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah he has been a lot more high profile than Howlin who was missing in action a lot of the time in the hope people would forget.

Kelly seems to have a penchant for latching on to a specific topic and then garnering good media coverage out of it, like Cervical Check and now cancer services during lockdown. He will do a lot to bolster the profile of Labour.

I still wouldnt trust him though.

I agree with you. I think the distrust comes from his time in government. Having said that i have been impressed with his performance so far. I’m finding his contributions And criticisms generally constructive, Unlike many others. I hope that continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Kelly is good at getting topics and himself noticed, but his content isn't always there. He often has a good point but never comes across sincere. He comes across as an arrogant arsehole. He's like a more uppity Varadkar, but with less weight behind him. It's only a matter of time before he insults someone or puts his foot in his mouth over being asked an inconvenient question. If I was still in Labour, I'd leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Kelly is one of the last true social democrats in the Dáil. He genuinely believes in the betterment of people through a fair redistribution of wealth.

A proper Labour leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kelly is one of the last true social democrats in the Dáil. He genuinely believes in the betterment of people through a fair redistribution of wealth.

A proper Labour leader.

Power suits him!

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Power suits him!

People criticised Labour for having a fairly decent sort like Howlin in power. And now they have Alan Kelly. Who is a properly genuine sort as well.

The sooner the broad left go back towards Labour; the better it will be for politics in this country. No party has done more for social change than the Labour Party. And for the welfare system.

I wouldn't agree with everything that they pushed through while in government, but I'd hate to have seen the alternative. A proper left-centre party. Ones that aren't afraid to go into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

A proper Labour leader.

lol just lol

I went to school with that eejit, never have I met a person like him, its only person I can describe him as a modern day Irish version of Trump, so narcissistic he could make it to mars with his own self-propulsion

he will sell out anything including his own mother to increase his ego

but I suppose the labour party decided to call it a day as a political party when they elected this charlatan as leader

self execution by ak47

kingtiger wrote: »
    lol just lol

I went to school with that eejit, never have I met a person like him, its only person I can describe him as a modern day Irish version of Trump, so narcissistic he could make it to mars with his own self-propulsion

he will sell out anything including his own mother to increase his ego

but I suppose the labour party decided to call it a day as a political party when they elected this charlatan as leader

self execution by ak47

Every bit of this is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

so narcissistic he could make it to mars with his own self-propulsion

LOL :pac::pac::pac:

Id well believe it but many TDs (Im lookin at you Leo) are like this.

Not many are short on self belief. Actual ability is a seperate thing.

Every bit of this is wrong.

that you there Alan?

maybe you and your brother could come up with another way to screw Irish people with creating a water tax

and while you at it go tell your bro Declan that his faux covid benefit with Lady Gaga didn't work, must try harder

he is transparent, he was in School and will remain that way

narcissistic "kelly" charlatan

• Advertisement

LOL :pac::pac::pac:

Id well believe it but many TDs (Im lookin at you Leo) are like this..

Leo the Jellyfish, what a complete waste of time

Leos cunning plan "lads lets just sit on the coat-tails of a worldwide recovery from recession and then claim it as a victory"

Lets see how well he and Fine Gael do when then sh1t hits the fan over the coming months

Maybe he can call on his buddys in the march last week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A proper Labour leader.

Nearly choked when I read tat then saw who posted it ,meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yeh I think he’ll be the last labour leader. They are going nowhere fast, with someone in charge who once said power suits him. He’ll be the Corbyn equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah he has been a lot more high profile than Howlin who was missing in action a lot of the time in the hope people would forget.

Kelly seems to have a penchant for latching on to a specific topic and then garnering good media coverage out of it, like Cervical Check and now cancer services during lockdown. He will do a lot to bolster the profile of Labour.

I still wouldnt trust him though.

His latching on to Cervical Check did more harm than good. He frightened women into thinking positive diagnoses were being hidden from them and pushed Harris into giving rechecks to all - a disastrous decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

, its only person I can describe him as a modern day Irish version of Trump,

Trump me bollocks. Kelly is a major cheerleader for abolishing direct provision.

Imagine Trump saying asylum seekers should be given a free house.

Trump me bollocks. Kelly is a major cheerleader for abolishing direct provision.

not his policies, its his raging narcissism that equals Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

While we're all having a go at Kelly, myself included, the three most self centred politicians in the country are debating how to screw the PAYE taxpayer over the next five years. In a way it might be better if Kelly was in there because at least we'd know no good would come out of it and be on our guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Marhay70 wrote: »
    While we're all having a go at Kelly, myself included, the three most self centred politicians in the country are debating how to screw the PAYE taxpayer over the next five years. In a way it might be better if Kelly was in there because at least we'd know no good would come out of it and be on our guard.

what do you mean by that? I don't see any other parties attempting to form a government

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Marhay70 wrote: »

You may well be right, but we knew there was a price to be paid for protecting the elderly/vulnerable so we will all be paying a bit more. I don't think it'll be anything like 07/08 anyway. On kelly, he'll be a good opposition leader as he's all talk but he's also a hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Lots of people want an end to direct provision but I don't see any with an alternative.
    My own would be speed up the legal process, allow one appeal only and, if that fails, you must leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hubertj wrote: »
    what do you mean by that? I don't see any other parties attempting to form a government

I'm saying that Kelly is not a threat to the taxpayer. The real threat is FG/FF, who, since the formation of the state, have looked after vested interests at the expense of the people,I don't expect any different this time. Crumbs will be thrown at the Greens which will further penalise the taxpayer and the gombeen Ryan will swallow it all as long as we're all growing carrots in a window box.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭farmerval

Alan Kelly will be a good opposition leader.
    We saw in the UK while labour went through a tortuously slow leadership contest the media never challenged the Government.
    Without an opposition to highlight a Government's shortcomings the media will never hold a Government to account.
    Whether AK would be any good in power I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Seems to me that not putting on a mask is the equivalent of getting into a car and not putting on a seatbelt, I automatically do it, maybe I'm just pointing it out because I don't like Alan Kelly :P
    Doing Labour no favours again so I won't complain

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1209/1183418-alan-kelly-mask/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Which was the bigger crime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

To be fair to him, things like that can happen and a simple mistake can be made. He's not exactly a prominent anti masker, he has been very pro them throughout.

I'm sure people that don't like him generally will pile on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There he is, the germ bomb

AK-Luas-CROP.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

‘I was distracted watching Man United’

Jesus Christ, what age is he, 12 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Not surprising that it was the FG Independent that ran with this story first, always trying to undermine and discredit their political opponents, that right wing of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dont like the Labour Party.

But do you know who cares that Alan Kelly didnt have a mask on while on the Luas?

Nobody. Zilch. Diddly fooking squat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Not surprising that it was the FG Independent that ran with this story first, always trying to undermine and discredit their political opponents, that right wing of a paper.

The Sindo is woke central. Right wing it ain't Sir.

Advertisement