Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

• 04-03-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭

Claire Daly on Sean O'Rourke this morning thinks the migrant issue is Europe's responsibility and Ireland as a country needs to do more.
    Personally I don't get how its the EU's responsibility. But its a complicated issue. Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

No but we should be making safe areas for them in their own countries to live in. I am aware this is very complex

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

They’re free to sponsor some to come live with them. Practice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

No

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Population transfer should not be supported but we do have a duty to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

I think it's terrible how people are just being used as Pawns by Governments

I wish People could come together and solve problems for the betterment of mankind.

All I see is hatred and people suffering as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's a very complex issue but i'd like to think anyone who we let in would be vetted and not chancers. We will do whatever the EU instructs us to do though doesn't matter what our politicians tell us.

At the end of the day we are all part of the human race and we must help people who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Were paying for obamas inaction on the red line. The Syrian people are paying the most.....non intervention can sometimes be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

western intervention in the middle east never ends well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The EU couldnt\ddidnt want to keep the illegal refugees out in 2016 and outsourced this task for €6 billion to the little dictator Erdogan and made him the little policeman to keep the illegals out of the EU
    And with that the EU did put themselves in a easy to blackmail position.

It did work for a while but now the little policeman doesnt feel like doing it anymore.

Cant wait for the next "Wir schaffen das" although i think i have seen "wir haben platz" (we have space) doing the rounds already.

• Advertisement

western intervention in the middle east never ends well.

Like most wars its extremely complicated and cant be explained by simply rulling out interventions of an entire region.
    Former president Bill Clinton has famously said his biggest regret in life was his inaction on the rwanda...inaction directly led to genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

Our responsibility is to help countries like Greece/Italy to maintain the integrity of European borders.

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Like most wars its extremely complicated and cant be explained by simply rulling out interventions of an entire region.
    Former president Bill Clinton has famously said his biggest regret in life was his inaction on the rwanda...inaction directly led to genocide.

true but youre damned if you do and damned of you dont. guaranteed if clinton had gone into rwanda the US would have been blamed for interfering and causing some other unforeseen f*ck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yes we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Any guesses as to what happens among the young men in the countries like Afghanistan and Iran when the word is out that the European borders are open for business* again?

How about a guess as to what happens with the far right vote in countries like Greece, Italy, Germany if there is a repeat of 2015?

*business meaning storming through borders and weathering some literally ****ty conditions in order to reach Sweden and Germany

tjhook wrote: »
    Our responsibility is to help countries like Greece/Italy to maintain the integrity of European borders.
    The EU agrees. they are sending Greece 700m euro and additional troops and equipment to secure the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

The EU agrees. they are sending Greece 700m euro and additional troops and equipment to secure the border.

Yep, and as nett contributors to the EU, we are helping to fund that. As is our obligation. Either Europe has a border or it doesn't.

tjhook wrote: »
    Yep, and as nett contributors to the EU, we are helping to fund that. As is our obligation. Either Europe has a border or it doesn't.
    i'd imagine they learned from the 2015 crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

We have a moral obligation to take these people in or at least assist wherever possible. We were once in the same position as these people will we let history repeat itself,?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot of these so called migrants are Africans, not even from the directly effected war zones. It’s not sustainable for Europe to take in any of these and we must seal the borders completely and keep sending them all back

true but youre damned if you do and damned of you dont. guaranteed if clinton had gone into rwanda the US would have been blamed for interfering and causing some other unforeseen f*ck up.

Agree with you 100% on being damned if you do/don't

I remember visiting Kosovo several years back and the amount of children that had been named after Tony and Bill was astonishing. it was kind of weird tbh.
    Regardless of what we think politically these ethnic Albanians were most likely alive because of the 1999 intervention. The intervention was literally hailed as a miracle talking to these poor people who had no oil or were stakholders in much.

road_high wrote: »
    A lot of these so called migrants are Africans, not even from the directly effected war zones. It’s not sustainable for Europe to take in any of these and we must seal the borders completely and keep sending them all back

Have you any idea of how many active conflict zones are currently ongoing in Africa?
    Boko Haram, Central African Republic, Burundi coup, congo, Libya, sudan, Somalia, Mali off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

NO we have enough troubles without these

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If anything we jeed to remove the current ones we have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This shows just how stupid the whole thing is, 700 million being wasted now on a border instead of using the money to make people's lives better in the first place. People were left in squalor in massive camps to rot away and now we spend the money on fences and thugs

Same **** in Afghanistan and Iraq, billions and billions available to spend on the war machine but a pittance for actually addressing the poverty and problems of the people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If anything we jeed to remove the current ones we have.

Yeah start with those who can't even speak the language

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It’s a shame they don’t put as much time into building up their own country as they do in getting into others.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

DelaneyIn wrote: »

It’s a shame they don’t put as much time into building up their own country as they do in getting into others.

What the fùck are they doing with those kids?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I believe 6k people signed up a few years back to "give a refugee your spare room" or something to that effect. I would contact these individuals and give them the chance to make good on their promise.

No more secret overnight direct provision centres. Nobody living in those areas gets a choice. Forced integration will never work.

Advertisement