Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• xl500 wrote: »
    Just Watching RTE 6-1 News

What in the name of God is Cathtriona Perry doing in London Do we not have our London correspondent there for that

to make matters worse she ended up interviewing him which she could easily have done from the Studio in Dublin

Its this kind of frivilious use of Taxpayer Funds that causes them to have very poor image

There is absolutely no excuse for having her in London how much did this cost

Said the exact same thing myself, it's crazy at a time when RTE are been seen

in a negative way and crying out for more money they send a reporter to

interview a reporter, there is no justification for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

ah so this is what your actual issue is, the fact they managed to do well for themselves and live in a nice house? come on lad, seriously, who gives a damn about whether they have a nice house, where they live, etc?
    you aren't supporting them, they get payed for doing a job. they just so happen to work for an organisation that receives some tax payer funding, as do a lot of people.
    a broadcaster that is national having some sort of presence outside the capital city is generally normal.
    It's not normal when the company is bust. The station is 100 per cent funded by licence fee but has 2 millionaire presenters in it's lineup, neither contributing much to 'arts and culture'. Out of the rest of the lineup of presenters and producers, salaries apparently range from 60 to 90 thousand Euro. They have done really well for themselves alright compared to, say, most of the staff of Live 95fm or anyone else in the independent radio sector. No wonder they are squalking loud and hard.
    As a listener to both Classic FM and Radio 3, as well as some other European and US similar radio services, it's very hard to tell where the unique expertise is in Lyric.
    The word 'chancer' comes to mind when I hear some of them. And now we're supposed to believe that the world of the arts and serious music will shudder to a halt without 'em?
    They might have convinced you, a myriad of vested interest hangers on and some local politicans but I'd prefer the service to get better and become more credible. That actually might happen with some focused cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

xl500 wrote: »
    Just Watching RTE 6-1 News

What in the name of God is Cathtriona Perry doing in London Do we not have our London correspondent there for that

to make matters worse she ended up interviewing him which she could easily have done from the Studio in Dublin

Its this kind of frivilious use of Taxpayer Funds that causes them to have very poor image

There is absolutely no excuse for having her in London how much did this cost

In case you haven't been following the news this election is very important for Ireland as well as being a major turning point for our nearest neighbour.

They are trying, with limited resources, to do it justice.

As for the cost, return fare, couple of days overseas subsistence and a few nights in a hotel. A couple of grand should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching the news here and I think I must have imagined this..

Just saw an ad for Toy Story 4 - coming to cinemas June 21??!!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »
    In case you haven't been following the news this election is very important for Ireland as well as being a major turning point for our nearest neighbour.

As for the cost, return fare, couple of days overseas subsistence and a few nights in a hotel. A couple of grand should cover it.

What role do you play in RTE, is it your job to defend them on all social media sites.
    As soon as anyone says anything negative about RTE, your out to defend them straight away.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    What role do you play in RTE, is it your job to defend them on all social media sites.
    As soon as anyone says anything negative about RTE, your out to defend them straight away.

Please try to discuss RTE not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Still absolutely no need to send her there are already plenty of RTE People in London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I chuckled at that one.
    RTE behave as if they have unlimited resources.
    Exhibit A:
    10. Darragh Moloney €188,803 (not in 2014 figures)

9. Bryan Dobson - €195,913 (€195,816 in 2014)

8. Nicky Byrne €200,583 (not in 2014 figures)

7. Claire Byrne €201,500 (not in 2014 figures)

6. Sean O'Rourke - €290,113 (€290,096 in 2014)

5. Marian Finucane - €295,000 (€295,000 in 2014)

4. Miriam O'Callaghan - €299,000 (€280,445 in 2014)

3. Joe Duffy - €389,988 (€416,893 in 2014)

2. Ray D'Arcy €400,000 (not in 2014 figures)

1. Ryan Tubridy €495,000 (€495,000 in 2014)
    If there are any decent independent investigative reporters in this country, they should take a look at RTE. The current debacle at the FAI might be an indicator of what could possibly be found.

Still absolutely no need to send her there are already plenty of RTE People in London

In your opinion.
    You will find however that lot's of us politics watchers will appreciate the extra attention to this really big story.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I chuckled at that one.
    Exhibit A:

If there are any decent independent investigative reporters in this country, they should take a look at RTE. The current debacle at the FAI might be an indicator of what could possibly be found.

Obviously I meant limited in contrast to the resources available to UK channels.

I doubt that there is anything approaching the FAI situation to be uncovered at RTE but if any journalist does find anything I'm here to be convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

In your opinion.
    You will find however that lot's of us politics watchers will appreciate the extra attention to this really big story.

Still could have interviewed from Dublin I see no benefit in having her in London

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

I chuckled at that one.
    Exhibit A:

They fairly well do have limited resources. Sitting on the golden goose when they should be singing for their supper. They should be producing more of what a TV audience will view, to provide a return for TV licence fee money, government revenue and whatever they get through advertising to a dwindling viewership in 2019. Or sell it to any organisation who think they could make any areas of it profitable.

Still could have interviewed from Dublin I see no benefit in having her in London

OK you fret about a few grand and I'll sit back and enjoy the coverage.

OK you fret about a few grand and I'll sit back and enjoy the coverage.
    It is called "accountability" and justification of the expenses incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Expunge wrote: »
    It's not normal when the company is bust.

it's normal full stop.
    and the company isn't actually bust, but is losing money while it's costs are rising. so down the line the public service which is expected to be both public service and commercial at the same time may indeed end up bust.
    either way, public service national networks do seem to have some sort of presence outside the capital city of their country.
    The station is 100 per cent funded by licence fee but has 2 millionaire presenters in it's lineup, neither contributing much to 'arts and culture'.

what station is 100% supported by the license fee?
    whatever station it is, who cares unless it's 2fm?
    even if it has 2 millionair presenters, so what? they did well for themselves and earned their money, whether you agree with it or not.
    and it's in your opinion that they contribute little to arts and culture, others may not share such an opinion. others may not be bothered as long as the service provides what they want.
    Out of the rest of the lineup of presenters and producers, salaries apparently range from 60 to 90 thousand Euro.

that's a non-issue really. only a small few are likely to be on those salaries and it will be based on length of service and what they bring in no doubt.
    They have done really well for themselves alright compared to, say, most of the staff of Live 95fm or anyone else in the independent radio sector. No wonder they are squalking loud and hard.

it's up to staff in the independant sector to organise themselves and try and get better pay where they are, or try and get into rte or another broadcaster abroad if it's viable for them to do so.
    it's not rte's fault that their pay may not be what they actually deserve.
    As a listener to both Classic FM and Radio 3, as well as some other European and US similar radio services, it's very hard to tell where the unique expertise is in Lyric.

your judge of expertese may be different to another's. that is ultimately the issue. one person's expertese is another's clueless.
    The word 'chancer' comes to mind when I hear some of them. And now we're supposed to believe that the world of the arts and serious music will shudder to a halt without 'em?

no, we are not supposed to believe that the world of the arts and serious music will shudder to a halt without "them" because nobody suggested as such apart from you suggesting that is what they were trying to say.
    so chancer wouldn't really come to mind here, tbh.
    They might have convinced you, a myriad of vested interest hangers on and some local politicans but I'd prefer the service to get better and become more credible. That actually might happen with some focused cutbacks.

convinced me of what?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

It is called "accountability" and justification of the expenses incurred.

Will you relax?
    They are not accountable to you personally.

Will you relax?

If we pay taxes that help subsidise their income and pay for TV licences that help subsidie their income, then, yes, they are accountable to us.

They fairly well do have limited resources. Sitting on the golden goose when they should be singing for their supper. They should be producing more of what a TV audience will view, to provide a return for TV licence fee money, government revenue and whatever they get through advertising to a dwindling viewership in 2019. Or sell it to any organisation who think they could make any areas of it profitable.

but what will a tv audience view? that is the problem. different people want different things, so providing this return probably isn't hugely possible.
    it's also not the job of rte to be profitable, the expectation that it should be is exactly what i focuses on commercial activities at the expence of more public service content.
    to sell it to any organisation who think they could make any areas of it profitable would mean quite likely a lot more commercial programming at the expence of ps content, probably even a removal of ps content altogether. as we can see from virgin media and others, that is the worst idea possible given the absolute tripe pumped out.
    If we pay taxes that help subsidise their income and pay for TV licences that help subsidie their income, then, yes, they are accountable to us.

not to us on an individual basis, but rather to the relevant department/body/regulator on our behalf.

but what will a tv audience view? that is the problem. different people want different things, so providing this return probably isn't hugely possible.
    it's also not the job of rte to be profitable, the expectation that it should be is exactly what i focuses on commercial activities at the expence of more public service content.
    to sell it to any organisation who think they could make any areas of it profitable would mean quite likely a lot more commercial programming at the expence of ps content, probably even a removal of ps content altogether. as we can see from virgin media and others, that is the worst idea possible given the absolute tripe pumped out.

There's plenty of deadwood in RTE television. Some of them seem happy not to move with the times, their jobs untouchable. I'm not talking about presenters on big money here. They made a smart move a couple of years ago to outsource their childrens TV content, someone made a good decision for once. In 2019 viewers have more and ever-increaing ways to watch television online. Last week Amazon broadcast a full weeks Premier League program and will do the same in 2 weeks. RTE television are not moving with the time. They upgraded the content on the player when the main problem with it is the coverage and buffering issues across the country. I hear you on the public service broadcasting but what public service TV would you class as essential broadcasting and how much of it could be done online and cheaper rather than in Montrose?

Will you relax?
    Oh yes they are. I am a stakeholder, as are the other license holders.
    They are wasting our money .......... as is their norm.
    And I doubt if the word "accountable" was ever heard in the RTE boardroom.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of deadwood in RTE television. Some of them seem happy not to move with the times, their jobs untouchable. I'm not talking about presenters on big money here. They made a smart move a couple of years ago to outsource their childrens TV content, someone made a good decision for once. In 2019 viewers have more and ever-increaing ways to watch television online. Last week Amazon broadcast a full weeks Premier League program and will do the same in 2 weeks. RTE television are not moving with the time. They upgraded the content on the player when the main problem with it is the coverage and buffering issues across the country. I hear you on the public service broadcasting but what public service TV would you class as essential broadcasting and how much of it could be done online and cheaper rather than in Montrose?

sure, but what moving with the times do you want them to engage in?

Oh yes they are. I am a stakeholder, as are the other license holders.
    They are wasting our money .......... as is their norm.
    And I doubt if the word "accountable" was ever heard in the RTE boardroom.

Of course RTE should be accountable but not to you personally because you think
    you have the right to dictate how they cover an important story.

44c a day is just to watch the telly.

Please see previous reply above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard Matt Cooper mention RTE and how 81 of its 'contractors' are about to get made into RTE employees?
    I think thats what they hinted at.

So is that the likes of Joe Duffy etc? So RTE was paying them as contractors wrongly all along? Should they have been getting employed by RTE and paid as an RTE employee?

I would guess these folk preferred to do this as it allowed them to take advantage of some tax break or other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

**** me what a ****e app. What a joke. I actually think they have tried to make it as bad as possible so people wont use it. Shameful service. How could they get it so wrong.

**** me what a ****e app. What a joke. I actually think they have tried to make it as bad as possible so people wont use it. Shameful service. How could they get it so wrong.

I presume you refer to the RTE Player.
    About time it was sorted out and made usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard Matt Cooper mention RTE and how 81 of its 'contractors' are about to get made into RTE employees?
    I think thats what they hinted at.

So is that the likes of Joe Duffy etc? So RTE was paying them as contractors wrongly all along? Should they have been getting employed by RTE and paid as an RTE employee?

I would guess these folk preferred to do this as it allowed them to take advantage of some tax break or other?

Sound like revenue needs to audit these "contractors" too .

Please see previous reply above.

44c a day just to watch the telly? The massive bulk of that goes to RTE television. I watch plenty of channels and listen to radio plus podcasts more than I watch RTE TV.

Plus paying Vodafone for broadband and TV. At least I have a choice when I choose my TV and broadband provider. If I could decide where my licence fee goes YouTube and The GAA Hour would be getting a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Of course RTE should be accountable but not to you personally because you think
    you have the right to dictate how they cover an important story.

44c a day is just to watch the telly.

26c a day for Netflix, see what you get for that.

• Advertisement

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Sound like revenue needs to audit these "contractors" too .
    More than an audit is required.
    As I suggested earlier, an investigation is warranted.

RTE has been untouchable for years; it is time to rattle their protected, detached cage.

Advertisement