Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists who don't make music videos

• 02-10-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed that the biggest singer songwriter in Scotland at the moment, Gerry Cinnamon, doesn't make videos for his songs.

Can anyone else think of any other musicians who let the music paint the picture and avert the videos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Pearl Jam won a bunch of awards for the "Jeremy" video back in 1992, and as a result of that they didn't make any videos for a long time.

I'm not sure if they've ever done a traditional video since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Things have changed drastically with social media and YT, now artists release their new albums straight onto YouTube without a video, they might release a couple of videos but in fact any song available for streaming at that point can chart right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pearl Jam won a bunch of awards for the "Jeremy" video back in 1992, and as a result of that they didn't make any videos for a long time.

I'm not sure if they've ever done a traditional video since then.

Yes they have. Loads of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Songs are so throwaway now that they don’t last long enough or sell enough to make videos for. The likes of Gerry cinnamon and Ed Sheeran topping download charts shows that.

Monies in the live gigs nowadays, YouTube videos of live performances and great squeaky clean interviews on Graham Norton is where it’s at.

Arghus wrote: »
    Yes they have. Loads of them.

Links? And I don't mean live in studio versions. I mean proper miming to the song videos.

Only one I could find is Mind Your Manners. Do the Evolution is a cartoon.

I Am Mine, The Fixer, World Wide Suicide, etc are all live performances cut with other images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Neil Young famously did one for "This note's for you". It was banned from MTV until it won awards! I can't recall any since.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Links? And I don't mean live in studio versions. I mean proper miming to the song videos.

Only one I could find is Mind Your Manners. Do the Evolution is a cartoon.

I Am Mine, The Fixer, World Wide Suicide, etc are all live performances cut with other images.

I guess were going to have to agree to disagree: cartoon or live performances or not, I'd still call all of those videos.

Arghus wrote: »
    I guess were going to have to agree to disagree: cartoon or live performances or not, I'd still call all of those videos.

Fair enough! :) I like the live ones (nothing beats PJ in person though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

blackbox wrote: »
    Neil Young famously did one for "This note's for you". It was banned from MTV until it won awards! I can't recall any since.

There's a video for Harvest Moon

There were a couple from the Ragged Glory album too, I think.

Did Led Zeppelin ever make a video? Considering they didn't release singles. I know they did the movie that has "videos" in it but that's different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement