Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

highdef wrote: »
    Heading for €40 for a crates worth!

Well it's €36 if you want to buy a crates worth!
    It's €12 for 8 which is cheaper than the pack of 8, and €18 for 12 which is also cheaper than the pack

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

seanl77 wrote: »
    It's €12 for 8 which is cheaper than the pack of 8, and €18 for 12 which is also cheaper than the pack

What's cheaper? all of that adds up to €1.50 a can or €36 a slab

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

You can describe the numbers in different forms all you want but it's still €36, or nearly 40 quid for a crate......that's nowhere near a bargain!

You can describe the numbers in different forms all you want but it's still €36, or nearly 40 quid for a crate......that's nowhere near a bargain!

I will try and spell this out for you slowly....
    At €1.50 a can it's €12 for 8 in tesco
    It €14.26 for a 8 pack in supervalu

There lies the bargain......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

still not exactly a bargain though...

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    still not exactly a bargain though...

We will have to agree to disagree on that, I would love to see a good bargain on a crate of Guinness but nothing stirring at the moment unfortunately... At least not where I'm living

Sorry but saving 28c for one can of Guinness is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination!

Sorry but saving 28c for one can of Guinness is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination!

I would have actually thought saving 28 cents on a can of Guinness is actually great value. Even more great when you save over €2 on a 8 pack, do you think they should be free?? It's really basic maths, can't be Christmas offers all year unfortunately......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it's a 16% saving based on the above 8 pack prices quoted.

if you don't think a 16% saving qualifies as a bargain... then maybe this is not the thread for you

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

We will have to agree to disagree on that, I would love to see a good bargain on a crate of Guinness but nothing stirring at the moment unfortunately... At least not where I'm living

If you're in Limerick, Ice Cold Direct have slabs of the 500s for 29.95
    https://icecolddirect.ie/guinness-draught-stout-beer-24-x-500ml-cans.html

• Advertisement

SkatesOn wrote: »

Legend, thanks for that ðŸ‘

That is much more like a bargain - about €1.25 a can versus almost €1.80 in Supervalu! Funny thing is that I thought these promotions are no longer allowed under government regulations or is that just a "please don't have price promotions" ask by the government rather than something that is enforceable?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

First Up wrote: »
    Worth thinking about. I go to France pretty regularly and the Irish excise duty alone on the wine I bring back is more than the cost of the ferry. Plus you get twice the quality for half the price.

Last booze cruise I went on to Cherbourg, I bought a few bottles in the large Lidl there. Costing €1.99 a bottle and saw the same one in Lidl here at over €7. To be fair the same wine is sometimes on special here at €4.99 but still one hell of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I didn’t know that the 660ml bottles came in a case!

Well i presume they come into Tesco in a case. They currently don’t go out on the shelves in cases but maybe they could!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Lidl have 8 x 500ml Guinness for €12 starting Thursday. Same as Tesco already mentioned here

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That is much more like a bargain - about €1.25 a can versus almost €1.80 in Supervalu! Funny thing is that I thought these promotions are no longer allowed under government regulations or is that just a "please don't have price promotions" ask by the government rather than something that is enforceable?
    Specific types of offer have been banned (offers lasting three days or less, multi-buy offers and anything involving loyalty schemes).

Any other type of offer is still allowed, including multipacks and non multi-buy reductions lasting more than three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

My understanding is you can't have e.g. "cans €2.00 each or 6 for €10.00", but you can have "cans 6 for €10.00" - can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

My understanding is you can't have e.g. "cans €2.00 each or 6 for €10.00", but you can have "cans 6 for €10.00" - can anyone confirm?

I think only if there's a single barcode on the 6 cans differentiating it as a single product. If the 6 cans had individual barcodes for each can they would be individual products and not allowed to be sold as 6 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Last booze cruise I went on to Cherbourg, I bought a few bottles in the large Lidl there. Costing €1.99 a bottle and saw the same one in Lidl here at over €7. To be fair the same wine is sometimes on special here at €4.99 but still one hell of a difference

I would recommend spending a bit more in either place but your example illustrates the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

First Up wrote: »
    I would recommend spending a bit more in either place but your example illustrates the difference.

Thanks First up. I've been a regular booze cruiser for over twenty years and agree that in the main you should aim to spend a little more for the bulk of your purchases. At the lower to mid point of the market is where the greatest savings can be achieved. For example a bottle of Vina Sol will usually be over €2 cheaper than what you can buy it for here even when it is on special. If you are buying a good quantity from the wine caves in Roscoff or Cherbourg you should also be able to negotiate a healthy discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My local SuperValu has deals currently. 6 for the price of 10. Beer or wine, doesn't matter. They're always overcharging.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bronkobilly

Caranica wrote: »
    Lidl have 8 x 500ml Guinness for €12 starting Thursday. Same as Tesco already mentioned here

12x 500ml guinness for 16 euro dunnes stores

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Thanks First up. I've been a regular booze cruiser for over twenty years and agree that in the main you should aim to spend a little more for the bulk of your purchases. At the lower to mid point of the market is where the greatest savings can be achieved. For example a bottle of Vina Sol will usually be over €2 cheaper than what you can buy it for here even when it is on special. If you are buying a good quantity from the wine caves in Roscoff or Cherbourg you should also be able to negotiate a healthy discount

Try Auchan's own brand range "Pierre Chanau". Top quality and great prices from across all regions and styles in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I got a 4 pack of smithwicks cans 500ml for €8 and got a free smithwicks pint glass in Spar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

slabs of Guinness 500mls in Tesco Ballybrack today for €32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭sully123

Degag wrote: »
    Well i presume they come into Tesco in a case. They currently don’t go out on the shelves in cases but maybe they could!

Got 10 Staropramen 660ml delivered today from tesco. Came in a box of 12 with 2 taken out. But yeah, never seen the box out on the floor.

As previously mentioned, it's on for 1euro atm

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

sully123 wrote: »
    Got 10 Staropramen 660ml delivered today from tesco. Came in a box of 12 with 2 taken out. But yeah, never seen the box out on the floor.

As previously mentioned, it's on for 1euro atm

Lucky you.

When I go to site it says not available.

Went to local Tesco and could not find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    Staropramen beer 5% 660ml e1 Tesco
    Reduced from e3.44! That is a 71% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Januarys booze deals are never nearly as good as the ones on the build up to Xmas. if there is even any to be found. Every year I'm sorry come January I didn't stock up more.

Don't panic, deals on crates and slabs will be back. It might not be until March though (run up to Paddys Day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bronkobilly

Januarys booze deals are never nearly as good as the ones on the build up to Xmas. if there is even any to be found. Every year I'm sorry come January I didn't stock up more.

Don't panic, deals on crates and slabs will be back. It might not be until March though (run up to Paddys Day)

paddys day in the house i guess by the looks of it i hope there loads of cheap booze:)

Advertisement