Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

It appears the managers are on a low pay. In retrospect this explains the manner in which they dealt with me. The should have immediately apologised or said they would investigate and revert but they were defensive. I had to actually ask why two managers appeared ( standing in front of me arms crossed). As I said before Fergal Quinn could teach them a lesson or two in how to properly interact with the customer. After all thanks to customers they have jobs. Unfortunately many retailers take their customers for granted. The manager even said if I wasnt happy I could shop somewhere else. Well I never returned and nor will I. This is the power I have which I m glad I exercised. I also find the more you shop in a store the more they take you for granted. Familarality breeds contempt.

I'm a bargain hunter and when I think about it there are actually very few bargains in Dealz, unless you want to eat junk food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    It appears the managers are on a low pay. In retrospect this explains the manner in which they dealt with me. The should have immediately apologised or said they would investigate and revert but they were defensive. I had to actually ask why two managers appeared ( standing in front of me arms crossed). As I said before Fergal Quinn could teach them a lesson or two in how to properly interact with the customer. After all thanks to customers they have jobs. Unfortunately many retailers take their customers for granted.

I'm a bargain hunter and when I think about it there are actually very few bargains in Dealz, unless you want to eat junk food.

They are not retailers they are just getting their first step off the ladder to getting off minimum wage. The new managers are more interested in crunching numbers and moving stock than customer relations. That bright young manager that was there 6 months ago will be looking for a new job in any other place once they get their experience.

The only think I buy in deal is soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, damp traps and maybe a few toys for the kids.

Low paid, poorly trained staff in sh1tty discount retailer. Baffling.

They are like call center staff why would you train then when they will be off again in under 12 months. Staff turn over in minimum wage jobs is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They are like call center staff why would you train then when they will be off again in under 12 months. Staff turn over in minimum wage jobs is horrendous.

Not exactly, I worked in retail ( same shop) for 6 n a half years while going to college. Retail is not as much turnover as call centers. A lot of other people I worked with were also students and stayed a number of years aswell.

fin12 wrote: »
    Not exactly, I worked in retail ( same shop) for 6 n a half years while going to college. Retail is not as much turnover as call centers. A lot of other people I worked with were also students and stayed a number of years aswell.

Was it a job to go from A to B or was it a career? My wife has them for 18 months and the managers for only 12 months. I think we have seen in the last week how dangerous late night convenience stores are. There is cash, cigarettes, alcohol, the retail is going no where good as a profession with the amazon style stores opening. the retail till has been automated, they have robots for filling shelves, Aldi/Lidl style (outer box loaded onto shelf, not filled individually).

• Advertisement

Was it a job to go from A to B or was it a career? My wife has them for 18 months and the managers for only 12 months. I think we have seen in the last week how dangerous late night convenience stores are. There is cash, cigarettes, alcohol, the retail is going no where good as a profession with the amazon style stores opening. the retail till has been automated, they have robots for filling shelves, Aldi/Lidl style (outer box loaded onto shelf, not filled individually).

Yes I agree, a lot of times it’s a A yo B, but my point was thatA to B can be quiet a number of years not under 12 months like a previous poster was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

That’s crazy. I worked myself in retail before and can’t believe the manager took the side of the employee. Most managers would be very apologetic to the customer especially since u were completely in the right, I’ll prob get killed for saying this but the deals nearest me, the staff are quiet rough I’ve noticed compared to a lot of other retail shops.

In my local dealz a while back and noticed a young lad filling his jumper with half a shelf of rubbish, quietly mentioned it to one of the workers, her reply ‘Ah he’s grand, not worth reporting it, sure ‘there’ always at it’ ..... Huh? you don’t have to take him to court, but surely worth trying to get some of your stock back. As someone said, low paid workers, crappy discount store, not getting paid enough to care.

The docu on it is worth watching, the amt of marketing ploys they use, branded goods to the front to get you in, the cheaper ticket items such as razors etc were all brands that are directly made by poundland themselves, massive markup and sold with the guise that the customer is getting a good deal. Think it also shows a dispute with some company? Kit Kat maybe, who were digging their heels in about not reducing the size of their multipack? Dealz like people to think they are getting a good deal but in reality just sell smaller sizes which equates to the same price if buying a larger size normally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Can we get this thread back onto bargain alerts found in Dealz please?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

rubadub wrote: »
    Dealz have advent calenders with chocolates, some have some serious weight.

https://www.dealz.ie/christmas/

Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunks Advent Calendar 258g
    €1.50

Mars Celebrations Advent Calendar 230g
    €1.50

a tub of celebrations is 650g, so at that price a tub is 4.23, which is not great, but you are buying it for the gimmick.

The cadbury one was £5.99 (~€6.60) on their site

https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/cadbury-dairy-milk-chunk-advent-calendar-258g.html

Reese Chocolate Advent 247g

€1.50

None of these in Limerick store. William Street. No Christmas stuff at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

zell12 wrote: »
    Some of these products reduced to clear

https://www.dealz.ie/439478-fleece-throw-120x150cm-2/
    I had a look, it was more of a large tea towel than what Id describe as a fleece throw lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thargor wrote: »
    I had a look, it was more of a large tea towel than what Id describe as a fleece throw lol.

The clue was in the measurements in the link

• Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got these Today for 75c!

maynards-wine-gums-frosted-bag_165g_1200px.jpg

I got these Today for 75c!

maynards-wine-gums-frosted-bag_165g_1200px.jpg

R they nice. I love the red n black wine gums.

R they nice. I love the red n black wine gums.

I like them apart from the black one's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thargor wrote: »

Heap of sh1te.
    Wouldn’t cover half a small dog.

I like them apart from the black one's!

Ha lol . Did u ever eat the Maynards sours? They are delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The clue was in the measurements in the link
    The size was small but bearable if you just wanted something to throw on the end of the bed or over your legs when sitting on the couch, its the material thats the problem, I have teatowels that are fluffier and more fleece-like.

Ha lol . Did u ever eat the Maynards sours? They are delicious

Yes, I like them. Also have had the sour patch kids.

In certain countries you can get stoney patch kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Milk pan reduced to 75c
    they are tiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

zell12 wrote: »
    Milk pan reduced to 75c
    they are tiny

Stuff like that is good to have some fun with kids. I have some novelty bread tins that I used recently to make some banana bread alongside a proper sized loaf. My 3.5 year old enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They are opening one of their biggest stores in Europe in Carrickmines Park, Dublin 18 in next 2 weeks, located in the old Mothercare shop.
    Should do well as loads of free parking up there.
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/shopping/lockdown-shopping-ireland-one-europes-19614877

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

okidoki987 wrote: »
    They are opening one of their biggest stores in Europe in Carrickmines Park, Dublin 18 in next 2 weeks, located in the old Mothercare shop.
    Should do well as loads of free parking up there.
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/shopping/lockdown-shopping-ireland-one-europes-19614877

Love the big stores! I used to go to the tiny Mr Price in Galway with my ex. It was horribly tiny and dark. Then they opened one near me in Letterkenny. Probably could have fit 20 of the Galway ones into it!

They'll probably be packed out for the first couple of weeks......and probably lose a load of stock to theft, but will make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevenmartin99

Has anyone heard any rumors that Dealz(Poundland) will close it's stores in ROI due to Brexit cost increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Has anyone heard any rumors that Dealz(Poundland) will close it's stores in ROI due to Brexit cost increases?

Can’t see that happening at all, they just opened the biggest branch so far in Dublin I’m sure

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Could be similar for mr.price, shelves are quite empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

horse7 wrote: »
    Could be similar for mr.price, shelves are quite empty.
    Pretty sure Brexit is to blame there..

.. stuff coming from the UK is massively impacted.

Deliveries everywhere are being impacted because of Brexit and the pandemic, I was in Lidl last week and food shelves were empty same in dealz this week
    Amazon are estimating 3-4 week delivery times

Give it a few weeks and things will settle down and normal service will be resumed I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Hope so, was in Lidl yesterday, shelves full to the brim, as was Aldi last Monday.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    Hope so, was in Lidl yesterday, shelves full to the brim, as was Aldi last Monday.

Yeah the Lidl I saw empty was fully stocked two days later, the Holyhead to Dublin crossing is down 60% according to Stena with hauliers either having to adjust to the new system

Advertisement