Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What difference does it make to you?

• 19-11-2019 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭

Over the years I have worn some questionable fashion and styled my hair or beard as suited. Never been particularly bothered by others views and have a general live and let live view.
    Of course others don't have the same view and think they should let people know what their view is. From just simple comments to violent attacks. What difference does it make to people that they do this? If I dye my hair and have a handle bar moustache what does it do to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Seems like you are seeking attention.
    Here is some attention.
    I hope you feel better.
    Good Bye

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

But-why-meme-generator-but-why-84103d.jpg?fit=510%2C264

Why versus what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Over the years I have worn some questionable fashion and styled my hair or beard as suited. Never been particularly bothered by others views and have a general live and let live view.
    Of course others don't have the same view and think they should let people know what their view is. From just simple comments to violent attacks. What difference does it make to people that they do this? If I dye my hair and have a handle bar moustache what does it do to you?

Handle bar moustache is actually offensive in some people's eyes I'm guessing it's a big no no...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If I dye my hair and have a handle bar moustache what does it do to you?

Makes me wetter than an otter's pocket, Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Makes me wetter than an otter's pocket, Ray.

Has me dripping like a f*cked fridge, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Here is some attention.
    I hope you feel better.
    Good Bye

And if that was true why would it bother you?

The other thing is I am not seeking attention but I am guessing that is what people think and want to ridicule people so they don't feel comfortable and toe the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Handle bar moustache is actually offensive in some people's eyes I'm guessing it's a big no no...

wah?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

games gone Jeff - sure any old thread can be started now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

why difference as you so aptly put it.

if you're so blasé then why post about it and enquire why the what

what da fook

sure sign of a daffodil strangler if ya ask me

which u did

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The other thing is I am not seeking attention but I am guessing that is what people think and want to ridicule people so they don't feel comfortable and toe the line.

Irish people are known for slagging and making fun of people if they look ridiculous. It's just something that's done.

If one of my friends turned up for pints with a handlebar moustache he'd want to make sure he packed his thick skin that day too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Pay no mind, Ray. You have a few fans here, just from your description alone. My office currently resembles a slip n' slide. You have my meat muffin looking like an elderly spaniel's eye.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Don't listen to other people Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fear and jealously.

Fear because they're worried that self-expression leads to things like liberalism, being different and this might make them look a little more normal and boring.

Jealousy because they lack the ability to express themselves and are, well - normal and boring.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Irish people are known for slagging and making fun of people if they look ridiculous. It's just something that's done.
    People are known for slagging and making fun of people if they look ridiculous. It's just something that's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Only goth in the village.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Master of the Universe

People are known for slagging and making fun of people if they look ridiculous. It's just something that's done.

Oh, my apologies. I forgot that humans everywhere are one homogeneous group with zero cultural differences and social interactions from country to country.

If you ever travel to Asia, try saying 'the state of you, you look like a spa' to someone wearing something ridiculous, I'm sure they'll know exactly what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why difference does it make to you?

Not difference anyway, it make to me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Has me dripping like a fucked fridge, too.

I don't even have a fanny and i'm wet too.....actually i may just have pissed myself laughing at the thoughts of that gay as mardi gras mustache ;)

You keep rocking those handlebars Ray. You the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Raymond, you're one crazy-azz muhfuh and you may shizzle my nizzle whenever you feel like it. Have a little faith, baby!!

tenor.gif

I don't even have a fanny and i'm wet too.....actually i may just have pissed myself laughing at the thoughts of that gay as mardi gras mustache ;)

You keep rocking those handlebars Ray. You the man!

I too am "eating oats" as 'twere. Very strange, we probably all have Phantom Phanny, bit like ghost limb syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

+1

Same goes for women who dye their hair bright colours like shocking pink.
    Trying too hard, instant flag to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Makes **** all difference to me TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If one of my friends turned up for pints with a handlebar moustache he'd want to make sure he packed his thick skin that day too :pac:

Yeah you get this. People who think they have a night's worth of jokes about a topic. I can't think of 3 good jokes about a handlebar moustache. I'd say most people would just make a joke or two and move on to having the craic. Endless jokes about someone's moustache would probably be tedious along with the gas ticket making jokes all night

I couldn't give a shyte about other people's fashion. I often admire someone who would do something differently and pull it off by not caring what other people think, even when I wouldn't want to do those things myself. Best of luck to you and your wardrobe choices OP. Each to their own

You seem to miss a huge element of this being it isn't just verbal and includes violence. It is not people I know but strangers. So not some light hearted remark but violence and aggression.

Even some light hearted comments may come with people going to touch or grab at you. When I dreads people would grab them and the same with some facial hair.

If I was a women people would be all over it as assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Some people hate people who are different to them. The more different you are, the more justification they think they have. Also, it's a bit like showing some animals a reflection of themselves. They don't understand what they're seeing, so they go nuts.

Master of the Universe

You seem to miss a huge element of this being it isn't just verbal and includes violence. It is not people I know but strangers. So not some light hearted remark but violence and aggression.

Even some light hearted comments may come with people going to touch or grab at you. When I dreads people would grab them and the same with some facial hair.

By looking 'different' you are standing out. By standing out, you are making yourself known to the absolute plebs and scrotes out there.

That's all there is to it and unfortunately the decision you make. Boring obscurity of fabulous with attention? (be it good/bad)
    If I was a women people would be all over it as assault.

Fairly sure if someone assaults you, even as a man (?!) it is considered assault....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

By looking 'different' you are standing out.

You're generally just standing in with a different crowd. People just want to look the same as other people who they think stand out.

Effects wrote: »
    You're generally just standing in with a different crowd. People just want to look the same as other people who they think stand out.

How amazingly astute. Not true and pretty ignorant. People who like similar things may wear similar fashion but it isn't to look the same.

I wear clothes based on how I feel or what I am doing. That can range a lot of different looks. I used to wear sort of 20s mens fashion which nobody was really wearing but thanks to peaky blinders that is now considered fashionable.

It is quite strange how fickle people are joining in with whatever is now fashionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It is quite strange how fickle people are joining in with whatever is now fashionable.

How difference make it to you?

• Advertisement

...It is quite strange how fickle people are joining in with whatever is now fashionable.

This from the man who has everyone in the thread talking like Yoda! :D

Advertisement