Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2019, 14:20   #46
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieluvsye View Post
No, he signed for France in the last International transfer window i heard
My friend, I think you are talking about the imperious N. Golo Kan-Tae, the Irish-Korean lad. France have recently bought his rights but I think its wrong and hope they do rather badly in the next FAI Cup.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 14:22   #47
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMAMORON View Post
Of course they do and fair play to them. That is what it is all about, identifying with something that you want to belong to and getting involved. Good luck to them, League of Ireland fans are great.

In saying all that.... they have to put up with a lot more competition than English or Scottish soccer fans. Take the GAA or Rugby as an example. The fact remains that your average league of Ireland fan is in a different fish tank to your English soccer fan.

I am talking about being from somewhere like Oldham. Supporting Athletic and only drinking in certain pubs around the town. Being in a " crew" and only shopping in shops which are affiliated to Oldham Athletic.

That sort of crap doesn't really exist up in Finn Harps or down in Inchicore.
LOI are getting a bit more of the hipster market recently too. Who cares anyway why someone wants to follow the team. More power to them, personally I think soccer is great. More fans the better.

And on the topic of wearing a jersey without being able to name a player, so what? Maybe they just like the jersey. I wear baseball caps of baseball teams I don't support on occasion.
(3) thanks from:
18-11-2019, 14:22   #48
Stevieluvsye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
My friend, I think you are talking about the imperious N. Golo Kan-Tae, the Irish-Korean lad. France have recently bought his rights but I think its wrong and hope they do rather badly in the next FAI Cup.
Oh sorry that's right. Athlone should never have sold him in the first place
(2) thanks from:
18-11-2019, 14:35   #49
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
LOI are getting a bit more of the hipster market recently too. Who cares anyway why someone wants to follow the team. More power to them, personally I think soccer is great. More fans the better.
It started as a “hipster” thing a few seasons back alright but there has been a huge swell in support from the United lads who used to mock the league and it’s fans.
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 15:01   #50
veryangryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
tonight you'll have a crowd singing ole ole ole while pretending to be arvent fans of the boys in green...but if they get a trashing watch these same fans leave in their droves before the final whistle
When the party gets sh1te, you leave. This isn't religion lads, and even if it was, people leave early
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 16:23   #51
riffmongous

Quote:
Leeds, Ireland is full of yis

Seperately i have noticed a drop off of sorts in the amount of people i see actually wearing football shirts. Back in the mid late 90's and most of early noughties they were ten a penny.
Probably not the main reason but the price of them nowadays! I used to love getting them as a sort of collecting, especially after a major international tournament and Elverys would have a few oddities on sale for 20 quid.. nowadays your looking at paying around 40 on sale for a shirt from a few years back, and 60-80 for a new one.

Same with rugby jerseys too though, again Elverys used to be great for getting some interesting foreign ones
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 16:44   #52
Stevieluvsye

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
Probably not the main reason but the price of them nowadays! I used to love getting them as a sort of collecting, especially after a major international tournament and Elverys would have a few oddities on sale for 20 quid.. nowadays your looking at paying around 40 on sale for a shirt from a few years back, and 60-80 for a new one.

Same with rugby jerseys too though, again Elverys used to be great for getting some interesting foreign ones
Fair point.

I went through a period of collecting Serie A jersey's as they were by far the most stylish

I also remember Boca and RP had some beauts in the 90's too
18-11-2019, 16:46   #53
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
I know people who wear man U, liverpool jerseys and say they support them yet they never watch matches and dont even know what players they have. anyone any idea why people would do this?
even if they did watch all the matches and know all the players - they'd still be saddos.
18-11-2019, 17:08   #54
Vita nova

Peer pressure I suppose. When I was in primary school everybody had to have a favourite English football team. I wasn't the slightest bit interested in football but I just chose a team and pretended to like them, so as not to feel left out. I dropped the pretence in secondary school and ever since have told people I'm not into football.
I was a child but to pretend to support a certain football team when you're an adult seems silly.
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 17:48   #55
paleoperson
Banned

To fit in I'd say.

I cannot imagine being that fake, but at the end of the day there's worse ways you could be a phony.
18-11-2019, 18:06   #56
KaneToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax The Cax View Post
He's a Man City fan now.
Was briefly a Leicester fan...
18-11-2019, 18:16   #57
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneToad View Post
Was briefly a Leicester fan...

he doesnt pick the teams that win, he picked the two teams with the biggest fan base in Ireland, he was on just before an election. like do you know anyone who supports liverpool and man united?
18-11-2019, 18:21   #58
Edgware

Quote:
No, he signed for France in the last International transfer window i heard
I thought Mayo were after him
18-11-2019, 18:23   #59
gandalf

I started supporting Arsenal because they had a number of Irish players at the time, Brady, Stapleton, O'Leary and Jennings. Also my neighbour supported Spurs and I hated that fecker so Arsenal were a good fit
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 18:25   #60
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
I started supporting Arsenal because they had a number of Irish players at the time, Brady, Stapleton, O'Leary and Jennings. Also my neighbour supported Spurs and I hated that fecker so Arsenal were a good fit

I wonder will they ever have an Irish player again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion