Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 18:08   #181
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
Is this secret pronouns a thing as well? Nobody owns pronouns, they belong to the language you are speaking.
Sometimes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 18:11   #182
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Eh, that's an adjective or noun, not a pronoun and another neologism I see.
20-11-2019, 10:59   #183
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
This ones gives even more of an insight. The ‘sensory overload’ dude (oops, gendering) speaks again:

How do these people get through an average day? Such delicate doilies.
Hi Obvious Desperate Breakfasts.

Just to say some of us come to boards expecting a primarily textual experience. Embedded videos of this sort are difficult to handle without a warning and I'll be honest skirt the boundary of audio-visual assault. Luckily I had my safety blanket with me, but if you could please think before engaging in video aggression in future that would be great.

That video is like a parody skit. A few years ago I think I read an article joking about clapping being aggressive and yet here we are clapping is actually aggressive and assaulting to some people.

Last edited by Fourier; 20-11-2019 at 11:23.
20-11-2019, 13:55   #184
Badly Drunk Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
I never understand the need for 'gender neutral' toilets. Surely you just pick the ladies jacks and go into the privacy of a cubicle simple.
Of course disabled toilets are 'gender neutral' and a lot of times in pubs they end up as store rooms....
The disabled toilets in work were re-labelled a few months ago. The main difference is that any disabled person who might want to use them has less of a chance (and I didn't bother using one of those nice alternatives to 'disabled' on purpose). My sister thought I made it up when I showed her a picture of the door, rather than just the sign.

And before anybody says anything about me being offended, I'm not. I'm just fed-up, and weary of listening to all this sort of talk. (Can excessive eye-rolling affect your sight?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toilets.JPG (17.4 KB, 261 views)
20-11-2019, 14:11   #185
RWCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
Yeah. Can you imagine the sort of drip you'd be stuck with if you hired someone with their pronouns on their linkedin profile?
I'd take them over a vocal typical AH poster any day of the week to be honest, as would the HR departments of any respectable corporate in the world.
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 14:26   #186
Drumpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
That video is like a parody skit.
You are right, Id be laughing at this on South-park, its hard to believe its people actually being serious. I had to actually search around to work out exactly what the OP was talking about with this he/her thing!! You can tell this generation has no real serious things to worry about when this sort of stuff is being made a thing.

As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter if you are black white, yellow, brown, have dick and/or fanny, you are either a decent person I like spending time with or you arent . . Everything else is irrelevant and if people want to make or imply its relevant, be best you go off and spend your time with sensory overload guy who might be sympathetic to your cause. .

Last edited by Drumpot; 20-11-2019 at 14:47.
20-11-2019, 14:27   #187
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
i hope it doesn't here. load of ****
A lot of people in my company have this in their email signature (American company). Utter shyte in my book.
20-11-2019, 14:29   #188
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCNT View Post
I'd take them over a vocal typical AH poster any day of the week to be honest, as would the HR departments of any respectable corporate in the world.
This is hardly a like for like measure!
(3) thanks from:
20-11-2019, 14:38   #189
Raconteuse

Ah I love that video though. ****ing hilarious.

At least some utter comedy gold is being generated.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 14:39   #190
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCNT View Post
I'd say they would have equal disdain for each.
Thanks from:
20-11-2019, 15:03   #191
Tom1991

Its a shame that language has such a catastrophic effect on some people more than others.I was a barman for ten years and its the one part of the trade i miss is telling customers co workers and employers on occasion to **** themselves.

Ill call people by whatever they want to be called but reserve the right to tell people to **** themselves on occasion.
20-11-2019, 16:49   #192
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Hi Obvious Desperate Breakfasts.

Just to say some of us come to boards expecting a primarily textual experience. Embedded videos of this sort are difficult to handle without a warning and I'll be honest skirt the boundary of audio-visual assault. Luckily I had my safety blanket with me, but if you could please think before engaging in video aggression in future that would be great.
PoInT Of PeRsOnAL pRiViLeGe: you’re not allowed to criticise me, that hurts my fee fees so much that I get PTSD.
21-11-2019, 01:28   #193
Raconteuse

Hadn't seen that video in a while so watched it again just now. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

"Aggressive scent" - amazing.

Anxiety, sensory overload - lots of people have these and always did. It's referred to as easily agitated, jarred. It can indeed be difficult for some, but most people recognise it's not something that makes the world only about them and they harden the **** up and tackle it themselves by sucking up day to day life instead of demanding special treatment.
Thanks from:
21-11-2019, 01:49   #194
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Hadn't seen that video in a while so watched it again just now. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

"Aggressive scent" - amazing.

Anxiety, sensory overload - lots of people have these and always did. It's referred to as easily agitated, jarred. It can indeed be difficult for some, but most people recognise it's not something that makes the world only about them and they harden the **** up and tackle it themselves by sucking up day to day life instead of demanding special treatment.
Yeah, I can’t listen to chalk on a blackboard. It’s painful to my ears. But even as a child, I was very aware that this was nobody else’s problem and that I just had to deal with it. And I did, usually by subtly covering my ears.

As well as that, I just don’t get the rush of some to paint themselves as victims. From my experience, most people will do anything to appear the opposite, to seem resilient in public as a point of pride.

My sister has increasingly become part of the “I find that offensive” brigade and it’s exhausting. We were in a waiting room of a Dublin hospital a few months ago and on the noticeboard was a poster of the All-Ireland winning Dublin team. She said “This hospital might be in Dublin but there’s patients coming here from all over the country. That poster shouldn’t be up, it’s offensive”. Once I got my eyeballs back in to position after they rolled back in my head, I said “So?”. Like, so what if somebody finds something so inoffensive offensive? That doesn’t mean they have to be indulged. It’s all just so goddamn joyless.
21-11-2019, 17:26   #195
Paddy Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post

My sister has increasingly become part of the “I find that offensive” brigade and it’s exhausting. We were in a waiting room of a Dublin hospital a few months ago and on the noticeboard was a poster of the All-Ireland winning Dublin team. She said “This hospital might be in Dublin but there’s patients coming here from all over the country. That poster shouldn’t be up, it’s offensive”. Once I got my eyeballs back in to position after they rolled back in my head, I said “So?”. Like, so what if somebody finds something so inoffensive offensive? That doesn’t mean they have to be indulged. It’s all just so goddamn joyless.
For God's sake. I'm from Mayo and while I'm butthurt that Dublin repeatedly stole Sam from us I wouldn't find a picture of the Dublin team in a Dublin hospital offensive. I'll join you in giving your sister It's not like they wanted to put a picture of the Dublin team in Castlebar hospital

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion