Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-11-2019, 11:37   #61
El_Duderino 09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbthedepths View Post
Fair play El_Duderino and the Dunne you have managed to turn the thread away from highlighting men's issues to a pissing contest between yourselves.
Apologies. It winds me up when people oppose obviously good initiatives like IMD.
El_Duderino 09 is offline  
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 12:13   #62
Church on Tuesday
Registered User
 
Church on Tuesday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dunne View Post
Look, I have explained this in detail already over the last few posts.

Just because I dislike the bastardisation of serious men's issues for social gain, doesn't mean I don't care about the issues.
Why are you letting that ****e cloud your judgment of what is essentially a good cause on the day for men's health and general well being?
Church on Tuesday is offline  
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2019, 12:15   #63
Feisar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,683
I'm of the feck's sake harden up ilk, this despite the fact I have suffered with depression. Initiatives like this will help change attitudes like mine in time. For example while I have no issue at all with homosexuality I would have in the past used the expression "that's gay" when referring to something negative. I no longer do this due to a better awareness and how frivolous negative comments are unhelpful. So hopefully in time I will see men's day in a positive light whereas at the moment it's in the same category as those straight pride clowns.
Feisar is offline  
08-11-2019, 12:17   #64
the dunne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
Why are you letting that ****e cloud your judgment of what is essentially a good cause on the day for men's health and general well being?
Realistically it is because for better or worse, social media is where a lot of people get their news from and worthwhile information and awareness gets lost in the mire of "virtue signalling" (apologies for using that term) posts.

It might seem trivial to some but it does irk me a great deal.

As I've said, it can be a great cause and I think the idea behind the day is good, it just isn't for me.
the dunne is online now  
08-11-2019, 13:55   #65
One eyed Jack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
Apologies. It winds me up when people oppose obviously good initiatives like IMD.

God love ya for getting wound up because other people don’t give two fcuks for your day of self-congratulation.

It’s also my birthday, nobody gives a fcuk about that either and you don’t see me getting wound up about it. Because like my birthday, I don’t need to advertise myself as a decent human being on social media either, and anyone who knows me will tell you I’m an asshole.

I don’t do what I do for other people for public recognition of how great I am. I’m like most people in that regard who couldn’t give a shìte for “raising awareness day” whatever is your particular day whether it’s your birthday, international women’s day or international men’s day, world mental health day, world aids day, world I was born day, whatever. It takes a condescending fcuk to imagine people need to be conscious as they are of “issues” that need to be “highlighted”, as though people aren’t dealing with their own **** that matters to them already in the very same way as your **** is just as important to you.

I still stand by the first post I made in the thread, before I ever needed your confirmation by demonstration.
One eyed Jack is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 14:14   #66
El_Duderino 09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
God love ya for getting wound up because other people don’t give two fcuks for your day of self-congratulation.
.
I’ll stop you there. I didn’t say anything about someone not giving a fcuk. I said I get wound up about someone talking dawn a good initiative.

In any case it’s not relevant to the topic.
El_Duderino 09 is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 14:50   #67
Chris_Heilong
Registered User
 
Chris_Heilong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,377
You know at first I was thinking what a stupid idea this was but when I think of how the media/hollywood has turned against men and masculinity so much in current year I am now all for this, anything that gives us some points.
Chris_Heilong is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 15:07   #68
the dunne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet Heads View Post
I can't support Men's Day because it's all about weakness and negativity. I'm not saying raising awareness about suicide and depression aren't good things but there's more to men than that!

Women's day seems to be all about strength and positivity. I want a day that honours great men, warriors, athletes, leaders, scientists etc Let's honour the men who build the roads and mine the coal.

The world is built and run by men. That's what we should be honouring.
That is a very valid point that, to be honest, I hadn't thought of.

The last sentence might get you into trouble though
the dunne is online now  
08-11-2019, 15:18   #69
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet Heads View Post
I can't support Men's Day because it's all about weakness and negativity. I'm not saying raising awareness about suicide and depression aren't good things but there's more to men than that!

Women's day seems to be all about strength and positivity. I want a day that honours great men, warriors, athletes, leaders, scientists etc Let's honour the men who build the roads and mine the coal.

The world is built and run by men. That's what we should be honouring.
I agree....why not honour the 99% of inventions ever made which were made by men and the breakthroughs that have saved millions of lives.
Roversfan1 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 16:03   #70
El_Duderino 09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet Heads View Post
I can't support Men's Day because it's all about weakness and negativity. I'm not saying raising awareness about suicide and depression aren't good things but there's more to men than that!

Women's day seems to be all about strength and positivity. I want a day that honours great men, warriors, athletes, leaders, scientists etc Let's honour the men who build the roads and mine the coal.

The world is built and run by men. That's what we should be honouring.
You can use it to raise awareness of whatever you want.

People who want to raise awareness of mental health, can do so. Those who want to acknowledge the everyday heroes in their lives, can do so. Those who want to acknowledge the work of great men, warriors, athletes, leaders, scientists and road builders etc, can do so. It’s up to you to do use it how you want and then capitalise on it throughout the year.
El_Duderino 09 is offline  
08-11-2019, 16:38   #71
Raconteuse
Registered User
 
Raconteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roversfan1 View Post
I agree....why not honour the 99% of inventions ever made which were made by men and the breakthroughs that have saved millions of lives.
Inventions have definitely been mostly thanks to men, but 99%? Interesting figure. Where d'ya get that?
Raconteuse is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 16:41   #72
Bobblehats
Registered User
 
Bobblehats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Inventions have definitely been mostly thanks to men, but 99%? Interesting figure. Where d'ya get that?
I think he means 99.9%. You know, figuratively speaking
Bobblehats is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 16:48   #73
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Inventions have definitely been mostly thanks to men, but 99%? Interesting figure. Where d'ya get that?
I made a list of 300 important discoveries and inventions and only 3 were women Stephanie Kwolek, Ann Tsukamoto and Marie Curie.

Subjective I know.....If I am wrong with my 99%, can you give me your figure
Roversfan1 is offline  
08-11-2019, 17:20   #74
Muir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 849
International Men's Day is spoken about more on International Women's day than it is any other day of the year - because so many ask when International Men's Day is. Yet, when someone tries to raise awareness of it, it gets more negative responses than positive.

I understand people get annoyed and frustrated by people using these days to look like they care without actually doing anything. I get fed up of hearing people pay lip service to mental health, and telling people to talk and seek help when the services aren't available. However I think talking about it might be something men need.

Earlier this year I worked on an ad campaign to promote a mental health service to men over 40. I also recently had a stand at a mental health event - some of the people were there because they were brought by their employers.

What I noticed is that the women were far more comfortable coming up to talk about their experiences, whereas the men were more likely to ask a question regarding helping a family member. I was talking to my dad about it afterwards and he said what I thought - if men are there with work colleagues many of them would feel too embarrassed to be seen to need help for their own mental wellbeing.

So, maybe talking about IMD is doing something. Maybe talking about it and the issues that impact men might make the men in your life feel a little bit less embarrassed, or a little more able to reach out. If someone dismisses the idea of IMD - it might come across that they are dismissive of issues affecting men in general. I don't believe that to be the case - but it just might be worth having that thought in the back of your mind if a man tries to talk about IMD to you this year. Your reaction really might make a difference to that person.
Muir is offline  
08-11-2019, 17:27   #75
the dunne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir View Post
International Men's Day is spoken about more on International Women's day than it is any other day of the year - because so many ask when International Men's Day is. Yet, when someone tries to raise awareness of it, it gets more negative responses than positive.

I understand people get annoyed and frustrated by people using these days to look like they care without actually doing anything. I get fed up of hearing people pay lip service to mental health, and telling people to talk and seek help when the services aren't available. However I think talking about it might be something men need.

Earlier this year I worked on an ad campaign to promote a mental health service to men over 40. I also recently had a stand at a mental health event - some of the people were there because they were brought by their employers.

What I noticed is that the women were far more comfortable coming up to talk about their experiences, whereas the men were more likely to ask a question regarding helping a family member. I was talking to my dad about it afterwards and he said what I thought - if men are there with work colleagues many of them would feel too embarrassed to be seen to need help for their own mental wellbeing.

So, maybe talking about IMD is doing something. Maybe talking about it and the issues that impact men might make the men in your life feel a little bit less embarrassed, or a little more able to reach out. If someone dismisses the idea of IMD - it might come across that they are dismissive of issues affecting men in general. I don't believe that to be the case - but it just might be worth having that thought in the back of your mind if a man tries to talk about IMD to you this year. Your reaction really might make a difference to that person.

I agree with a lot of what you say there.

It is incredibly frustrating to see people on facebook, twitter, Instagram pretend to give a **** about mental health, stick up an inspirational quote or tell people to talk when you know they are absolutely toxic in real life.

You don't even need to go that far to see such stuff. Posts in topics like this to make the user come across as thoughtful and then posts on a different thread discussing similar which are borderline bullying / needlessly insulting.

But as you say, your reaction to someone reaching out for help is very important but that should go for everyday, not just one arbitrary day where it is cool to be nice to men. Having said that if IMD does help one person be a little more caring, then that can mean the world to someone else. Lets just hope the pricks who use the day to boost their own standing don't ruin it for many more.

Last edited by the dunne; 08-11-2019 at 17:37.
the dunne is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet