Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2019, 01:33   #316
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasdog View Post
And there are still games being released for the C64. A very niche market.
Excluding mobile phones and tablets, the Commodore 64 is the most produced computer model of all time.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 01:41   #317
PTH2009

Remember I wasn't allowed go online til after 6pm cause it was much cheaper

If a load were online the speeds were ****e
15-11-2019, 02:29   #318
gozunda

Thankfully 'social media' (durh) was not yet a thing - where kids and peoples lives were there own and eejits on facebook trying to convert others to their 'cause' and collecting money via patreon or similar didn't exist.

Last edited by gozunda; 15-11-2019 at 12:14.
(2) thanks from:
15-11-2019, 02:44   #319
klaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Thankfully 'social media' (durh) was yet a thing - where kids and peoples lives were there own and eejits on facebook trying to convert others to their 'cause' and collecting money via patreon or similar didn't exist.
Agreed. /Sigh. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I can't get into the whole Social media thing. I find it intrusive and just plain irritating. I grew up without it, and honestly, feel the world would be better if that junk could be put back in Pandora's box..

Don't get me wrong. Apps for communication are awesome. Being able to chat with my family while I'm in China without spending a fortune is, just, cool. The ability to pay through such an app is incredibly convenient... but the whole growth of internet communities and identities? It was fine with geociities or msn. Limited and somewhat naive. Now? Twitter is abysmal. Facebook is just plain creepy.
15-11-2019, 09:26   #320
branie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
Remember I wasn't allowed go online til after 6pm cause it was much cheaper

If a load were online the speeds were ****e
Same here. It was also cheaper at weekends.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-11-2019, 17:48   #321
kellykelly

i agree with whover said people would havetheir own sites promoting their interests and hobbies now it is all on the fb template. Loss of creativity
19-11-2019, 10:30   #322
wassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Excluding mobile phones and tablets, the Commodore 64 is the most produced computer model of all time.
I once owned a Commodore SX-64 - the 'portable pc', complete with BASIC 2.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_SX-64

I was the seriously cool kid lugging it around to my mates houses...Everyone marveled just how 'compact' it was.
19-11-2019, 11:38   #323
Mark Rippetoe

Me in 1996: "Hah, I have a GREAAT idea for a hilarious email address!!!"

*enters 'hotmale@hotmail.com' and gets told address is taken*

Me in 1996: "I can't believe someone else thought of that first "
19-11-2019, 12:53   #324
MetzgerMeister
Der Möderätor

ICQ with the red/green flower icon - red meant you were offline, green was online

Yahoochat.com - one of the biggest chat rooms around 99

It was a time where websites had MP3s that you could download. I spent a LOT of time downloading from the underground prodigy archive (a lot of time = about 16 songs) and then they took the site down but put everything onto CDs and sold them. You could then just copy the songs to your hard drive instead.

Limewire

Yahoo Messenger - this took over from ICQ in popularity

Good times!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 13:04   #325
branie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
ICQ with the red/green flower icon - red meant you were offline, green was online

Yahoochat.com - one of the biggest chat rooms around 99

It was a time where websites had MP3s that you could download. I spent a LOT of time downloading from the underground prodigy archive (a lot of time = about 16 songs) and then they took the site down but put everything onto CDs and sold them. You could then just copy the songs to your hard drive instead.

Limewire

Yahoo Messenger - this took over from ICQ in popularity

Good times!
My favourite chatroom was the film one
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 14:03   #326
maccored

Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
i remember trying to sell websites in 1997. people kept telling me they had a site, and when I asked for the address, gave me their email.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 17:29   #327
charlietheminxx

What I miss most about the old internet is the way people were genuinely eager to connect with strangers around the world. You'd go into a chat room or a forum for some random interest/hobby and then be MSN messenger friends with the people in it for years afterwards. It seemed amazing to be able to share things around the world so easily.
19-11-2019, 17:52   #328
xieann

^^^^^^ there was far less chance that when you yourself started or created a chat room, the next visitors to the chat room wouldn't be scum looking to fook the chat up, and giving physical threats.
19-11-2019, 18:12   #329
angel eyes 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgirl View Post
Lotus notes
Still used in some Government Departments. A Y2K warning would still pop up in some Lotus Notes databases well into 2010.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 20:40   #330
mobileforest

old chatrooms. Remember around 1998 sitting in uni lab on yahoo chat while roommate (female) was on at same time. People ask A/S/L. My "m" would be followed maybe with one or two "hi". Her "f" would be followed by a dozen or two "want to cyber??"

Anyone else here remember bulletin board systems before the World Wide Web? You'd get a few numbers of BBS's around and spend half the night trying to dial into one. Some would be playing some decent turn based games (basically a really slow game of D&D, although I remember their were mail-in ones on the back of Conan comics at the time so probably not that slow). One BBS in my hometown had a guy upload the Anarchist Cookbook (which many of us teens used to make a variety of smoke bombs with). I never read the document myself but a friend at the time did print out a few pages. The owner of the site had a call from the cops which is how I got to hear what the document was about. Good times. Mind you, I'm Canadian. I'm guessing if someone in early-90s Ireland uploaded a book that showed you how to make pipe bombs, they'd be picked up by the Garda.

Last edited by mobileforest; 19-11-2019 at 20:46.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion