Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ended up ordering the MSI from komplett. It had all the features I wanted, for the least money.

It was also due in stock on the day I ordered it for pay on pickup since I live close to their pickup point. (And eight hours later, it was due in stock days later) Thanks for the help. Here's hoping it'll arrive in stock before this thing finally dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Dartz wrote: »
    German sites will ship here?

Watch out, buying laptops from non-English native countries can mean getting Windows in a different language, and much more complicated is a different keyboard (if you have never seen or used one of these personally, you're likely to not like it, it's nothing like how you learned to type). I speak 3 languages but would only ever use a native English localised keyboard. I have a friend who bought one in Italy, she's fluent in Italian but hates the keyboard with buttons all over the place, she really wants a native English one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The simple solution there is just to reinstall Windows, selecting Ireland as the region. The keys will remap to Irish layout. Of course this only works if you can touch type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^You sure that works?

I'm typing on a laptop with a Canadian Bilingual keyboard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's a moot point now anyway. Most of the sites gave the option to configure with an english language keyboard anyway.

Though I had to cancel the order and switch to a different model because it was going to be out of stock until after I went on Holidays. While the one I picked up was already in-stock so should appear during the week.

Same spec, just a little more expensive.... and in 17 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just wondering if anyone could help me, looking for a new laptop basically for browsing and stuff like MS Office mostly. Would like a decent screen/resolution for watching films and the likes and almost more importantly would like it to be fairly light and compact. I have a gaming PC already so don't need to play games on it. I've never bought a laptop before so really no idea what's good or what isn't, if anyone had a recommendation would appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

You looking at size 13/14 screen inch laptops so.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5084966/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+LAPTOP.htm

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L830-10H_1206240.html

and this is my favourite one

http://outlet.ie.lenovo.com/store/lenovooe/en_IE/pd/productID.252216100

Built like a tank:D

value wise I think you should go with Samsung,if the performance/built quality you are after, get that Lenny then .

Nice resolution/i5 sandy cpu /it is a real gem :)

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t420.aspx

What's the deal with battery claims? Most of them I see are 6 cell batteries. With that, the times quoted range from 3 to 6 hours. Many of these are using the same Core i3 Sandy Bridge gen processor. How can there be a 3 hour difference with the same CPU? Generally, tests I read in reviews use Windows Balanced power setting, that's 70% brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is there a dedicated graphics card in the laptop that's sucking up the power?

By and large no, no graphics card. Same screen size usually too - 15.9 inches. Same CPU, same gen, same power profile...I know some of the test sites are very specific - saying they leave on the laptop on balanced and refresh one page every minute. That's very specific and like-for-like testing. I'm worried my next laptop (about to buy) will say 6 hours and last 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Hi guys,

I am purchasing a new laptop shortly as the one I have at the moment is ran by a hamster on wheels.

I mainly use my laptop for music production, so powerful programs that eat a good bit of RAM or processing speeds. I know Macbook would be sufficient, I was looking at one on Komplett though,

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/80007333/asus_15_6_n56vm_s4032v_i7_3610qm_8gb_750gb/details.aspx

Anyone have advice on this would be great on whether this would do the trick or not :rolleyes:

Nope

This is actually very good choice.

Product Description Asus N56VM-S4032V
    Display 15.6 "LED Widescreen
    Resolution 1920 x 1080
    Processor Intel Core i7 3610QM
    Chipset Intel HM76 Express
    Memory 8 GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM
    Storage (HDD) 750 GB
    Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT630M 2 GB
    Optical drive DVD Super Multi
    Card Reader Memory Stick (MS), MMC, MS PRO, SD
    Network Gigabit Ethernet
    Wireless Networking Wireless B/G/N
    Webcam Yes
    Colour Black/Silver
    Connections 1 x HDMI, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x Microphone, 1 x Headphone
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 38 x 25.5 x 2.7 ~ 3.4
    Weight 2.7Kg
    Battery 6 Cell
    Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Full HD screen is bonus,this lappy should last you a few years:)

Go for it

Jarren wrote: »
    Nope

This is actually very good choice.

Product Description Asus N56VM-S4032V
    Display 15.6 "LED Widescreen
    Resolution 1920 x 1080
    Processor Intel Core i7 3610QM
    Chipset Intel HM76 Express
    Memory 8 GB DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM
    Storage (HDD) 750 GB
    Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT630M 2 GB
    Optical drive DVD Super Multi
    Card Reader Memory Stick (MS), MMC, MS PRO, SD
    Network Gigabit Ethernet
    Wireless Networking Wireless B/G/N
    Webcam Yes
    Colour Black/Silver
    Connections 1 x HDMI, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x Microphone, 1 x Headphone
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 38 x 25.5 x 2.7 ~ 3.4
    Weight 2.7Kg
    Battery 6 Cell

Full HD screen is bonus,this lappy should last you a few years:)

Go for it

Thank you! It does look fairly solid, I was just wondering if there was a better alternative in that price range?

It does look pretty slick anyway, cheers! ;)

Brand is pretty good, you can add extra RAM + SSD later to improve performance.

You can get this Lenny for less

Product Description Lenovo Z580-M81DFMH
    Screen 15.6" HD LED screen / 1366 x 768
    Processor 3rd Generation Intel i7 3612QM - 2.1GHz / 3.1GHz
    Chipset Intel HM76
    Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
    Hard Drive 750GB -5400rpm
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT630M - 2GB
    Optical Drive Dual Layer DVD±ReWriter
    Card Reader 5 -in -1
    Network Gigabit LAN
    Wireless Network Wireless-N, Bluetooth V4.0
    Webcam 0.3 Megapixel
    Connections HDMI, VGA, 2 x USB3.0, 2 x USB2.0
    Battery 6 cells
    Batery Life Up to 5 hours
    Other Software Office Starter 2010
    Colour Brown
    Dimensions (wxdxh) 37.6 x 25 x 3.2 cm
    Weight 2.6Kg

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/80006637/lenovo_15_6_z580_m81dfmh_i7_3612qm_8gb_750gb/details.aspx

There is no full HD screen on that unit but you won't need that.

Jarren wrote: »
    Brand is pretty good, you can add extra RAM + SSD later to improve performance.

You can get this Lenny for less

Product Description Lenovo Z580-M81DFMH
    Screen 15.6" HD LED screen / 1366 x 768
    Processor 3rd Generation Intel i7 3612QM - 2.1GHz / 3.1GHz
    Chipset Intel HM76
    Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
    Hard Drive 750GB -5400rpm
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT630M - 2GB
    Optical Drive Dual Layer DVD±ReWriter
    Card Reader 5 -in -1
    Network Gigabit LAN
    Wireless Network Wireless-N, Bluetooth V4.0
    Webcam 0.3 Megapixel
    Connections HDMI, VGA, 2 x USB3.0, 2 x USB2.0
    Battery 6 cells
    Batery Life Up to 5 hours
    Other Software Office Starter 2010
    Colour Brown
    Dimensions (wxdxh) 37.6 x 25 x 3.2 cm
    Weight 2.6Kg

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/80006637/lenovo_15_6_z580_m81dfmh_i7_3612qm_8gb_750gb/details.aspx

There is no full HD screen on that unit but you won't need that.

Legend, thanks again man. Might have saved me a few bob there. I appreciate it

I seen as of today, Argos has refreshed their laptop lineup.

Good news: 6-8GB ram, 640-1terabite laptops have infiltrated the building, battery life that I've seen averages may 5hours.

Bad news: it's full of B950/variation CPUs. Some of those CPUs are older tech. and if the new ones don't compete with the Core i3/5/7. That might suit some users, but if you're aiming to get the best you can for your money, look elsewhere.

Note: Windows 8 as we know is due when the summer ends and I haven't seen any tech. in Argos that prepares for that. In the UK I see there are swivel and detachable screens and hybrids cropping up everywhere.

Separate note: does it matter to you how old a laptop is if the tech. stands well? Some of the laptops I've been looking at on other sites were launched in Q1 2011. When I check the support website for driver updates, generally, nothing's been updated since Q1/Q2 2011. Would you be confident making such a purchase - the 1 year warranty would still protect you but what about the manufacturer no longer support it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm not really sure the points you are making in a couple of places as your punctuation/grammar needs to be amended.

They can afford to be generous with RAM as it's so cheap these days. Newer budget CPUs can sometimes be better than older mainstream ones - for example a CPU from the Sandy Bridge architecture like the B950 could be better than previous generation i3s. It's still a budget CPU though so you should expect to pay accordingly.
    Argos wouldn't be my first place to call when looking for a laptop - or technology in general - as price changes can be too variable.

Many laptop manufacturers are fairly poor at supporting their products with updated drivers. However, you can get around this with component updates. Intel/AMD should have chipset drivers and Intel/nVidia/AMD should have graphics drivers. Windows 7 is excellent for filling in drivers for some random components although they often wouldn't have the latest ones. It's not something I'd be overly concerned about assuming that you are actually getting a good bargain with the laptop.

If you're buying technology that's a generation old, you would be right to question support, upgradability and whether you are actually getting value for your money relative to current generation products.

RE the Asus N56: A lot of places have the wrong specs for the graphics card. There is a version with the 630M, but that usually ships with 6GB of RAM, as an easy differentiation. Most of the models actually have a 650M.

Yes, I was particularly interested in the B950 variation with Sandy Bridge Core i3s. I mostly find these two pitted against each other. I noticed there are a lot of laptops flooding the shops with with impressive hard drive sizes and RAM quantities but a very large number of them also have the B950 CPU. I checked on Intel's website, the B950/B960 etc. are missing several features found in Core i3s. Even a Sandy Bridge B9XX seems to be far less capable than a Sandy Bridge Core i3. I've been looking abroad for bargains with the Core i3 because I can't find many of those here.

The crux of my problem is I've found quite a few bargains with Sandy Bridge chips that have excellent supporting specifications, but some of them were launched early in 2011. I'm concerned about support indeed...:confused:

I used the colon frequently which, ought to be used to indicate a list or subsequent explanation and I placed new information on separate lines, I believe that usage is quite correct. (I've studied six languages in full-time education).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Hey,

I'm getting a new laptop for college. So I'm looking for something that will stand being lugged around dublin for a few years. I'll only use it for MS office, Music, Movies and the likes. I doubt I'll be using it for gaming, I might be doing a bit of music production but nothing too professional really. Also a webcam would be a bonus.

I'm looking to spend around €450, any suggestions? or anything to avoid?

Aim for SandyBridge cpu min

Something like this will fit your budget

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G580_1234979.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I'm looking to spend around €450, any suggestions? or anything to avoid?

If you want to buy in a shop, HarveyNorman have this HP 630, nothing fancy but it fits the budget and the processor is probably a Sandy Bridge Core i3-2310M. But since it doesn't say, ask before you buy. ;)

Avoid 1st generation Core i3 processors (i.e. 370M, 380M) and of course anything with an AMD or Intel Celeron/Pentium processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Thanks alot!

Just a quick question:
    I was looking at some laptops here in a few shops in kilkenny, there's some good offers going but how do I know if it's a sandybridge cpu?

I asked in one of the shops and the guy looked at me like I had ten heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

It'll have 4 digits after the i3, so like i3-2310.

Ivy bridge starts with a 3 instead, so like i3-3210

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

how do I know if it's a sandybridge cpu?

Sandy Bridge mobile processor: Core iX-2XXXm

Older models (Nehalem) have only 3 digits model numbers, i.e. Core i3-380m

Advertisement