Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best small, light laptop (€700 max)

• 15-11-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Looking for a very portable, lightweight, thin, (13.3 inch max but ideally less) laptop under €700. I'll be using it primarily for a lot of word processing and browsing, but would like it to be SSD if possible and have decent storage space. All recommendations gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I am in the same boat as you. Currently I have a work Lenovo ThinkPad S260, screen size is I think 12.5 inches. I am looking for my own personnel laptop on your budget, i5 processer, SSD and at most a 13.5 inch screen, preferably 13 inch or less. Everything at value seems to be 14 or 15 inch screens, which I find disappointing.

What I have seen yesterday is this:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-13-an0506sa-13-3-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10188980-pdt.html

13.3 inch screen
    Windows 10
    Intel® Core™ i5-8265U Processor
    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
    Full HD display

What I cannot tell if the 256 GB could be upgrade to 1 TB. I have checked website UK Crucial & it doesnt seem to have it in their system which leads me to believe it cant be.

This is the only reason I am holding back until I can see if I can get the same spec above for one that has the flexibility of adding more storage. Anyone out there that would be able to confirm for the same spec above, much appreciated.

I am tempted to get the below, its a 14 inch screen, but has double the harddrive space & costs 589euro, so double the hard drive for 130 euro less. It is 1.6kg v's 1.3kg weight for the 13.3 inch option.

HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa 14" Laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor
    Memory: 8 GB RAM / 32 GB Intel® Optane™
    Storage: 512 GB SSD

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

Ok, I think I have found what I am looking for. It costs 800 US Dollars. I know I could buy it on amazon. Does anyone know where one could buy one of these.

Asus Zenbook 13 UX331FA-AS51
    Processor Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6GHz 8th Generation Processor (Turbo up to 3.9 GHz, 6M Cache)
    RAM 8 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    Storage 512GB Solid State Drive
    Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Display 13.3-Inch Full HD NanoEdge Display with 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution
    Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
    Battery Life Up to 14 hours
    Weight 2.5 lbs

Ok, I think I have found what I am looking for. Its for 800 US Dollars on Amazon, does anyone know if it is available anywhere else. Its only 1.14kgs too.

Processor Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6GHz 8th Generation Processor (Turbo up to 3.9 GHz, 6M Cache)
    RAM 8 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    Weight 2.5 lbs (1.14kgs)

https://laptopunderbudget.com/best-laptops-under-700-dollars/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

James 007 wrote: »
    Ok, I think I have found what I am looking for. Its for 800 US Dollars on Amazon, does anyone know if it is available anywhere else. Its only 1.14kgs too.

RAM 8 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    Weight 2.5 lbs (1.14kgs)

https://laptopunderbudget.com/best-laptops-under-700-dollars/

Thanks James! Funnily enough I've been eyeing this one up too, looks perfect but the fact that it doesn't seem to be available on this side of the Atlantic is what put me off. I don't know enough to be sure what issues that might raise (other than the obvious like power supply, delivery from the States, etc.). Would be great if it was for sale here though.

• Advertisement

I am in the same boat as you. Currently I have a work Lenovo ThinkPad S260, screen size is I think 12.5 inches. I am looking for my own personnel laptop on your budget, i5 processer, SSD and at most a 13.5 inch screen, preferably 13 inch or less. Everything at value seems to be 14 or 15 inch screens, which I find disappointing.

What I have seen yesterday is this:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-13-an0506sa-13-3-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10188980-pdt.html

13.3 inch screen
    Windows 10
    Intel® Core™ i5-8265U Processor
    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
    Full HD display

What I cannot tell if the 256 GB could be upgrade to 1 TB. I have checked website UK Crucial & it doesnt seem to have it in their system which leads me to believe it cant be.

This is the only reason I am holding back until I can see if I can get the same spec above for one that has the flexibility of adding more storage. Anyone out there that would be able to confirm for the same spec above, much appreciated.

you could just buy a bigger ssd - 1tb, 2tb etc yourself

lists both sata 2.5 inch size and m.2 on crucial as being compatible.

(the one that it comes with most likely m.2 slot stick type)

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-14-ce3501sa

if you scroll down sizes of >= 1tb listed

the faster m.2 nvme types are more expensive

glasso wrote: »
    you could just buy a bigger ssd - 1tb, 2tb etc yourself

lists both sata 2.5 inch size and m.2 on crucial as being compatible.

(the one that it comes with most likely m.2 slot stick type)

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-14-ce3501sa

if you scroll down sizes of >= 1tb listed

the faster m.2 nvme types are more expensive

Yes, but could you recommend a decent 13 to 13.5 laptop that would be compatible with the upgrade that you have recommended

This one is good value, however its a 14 inch model at 589 euro, 512Gb

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

This one is a 13.3 inch at 719 euro, 256Gb, so only half the storage

Both the above are i5 Intel processors only

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Thanks James! Funnily enough I've been eyeing this one up too, looks perfect but the fact that it doesn't seem to be available on this side of the Atlantic is what put me off. I don't know enough to be sure what issues that might raise (other than the obvious like power supply, delivery from the States, etc.). Would be great if it was for sale here though.

Id say its not manufactured any more, my guess only. i5 Intel processor.

i5 Intel processors are now with i7 or better again i9 Intel processors, so ASUS seem to only manufacture these upgraded models Piglet85

Actually, I need to correct myself, you can still buy them from BOX/SCAN/Amazon but not at the price I would want to pay for it.
    https://www.box.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBook-P333FA-A3202R_2693218.html

Yes, but could you recommend a decent 13 to 13.5 laptop that would be compatible with the upgrade that you have recommended

that laptop is. the link is the compatible ssd results for the hp laptop....

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about 13.3 inch vs 14 inch. It's the weight that you'll notice

this is 1.35kg which I'd classify as light. 1.6 even 1.5 kg don't have same perception of lightness even tho it's only 200 to 300 g in it.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-14-k403fa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-blue-10195163-pdt.html

719 euro

i5, 8gb ram, 256 ssd. long battery life

Yes, I have done a bit of research, so if I get a chance I will put it up tonight.
    Apologies, it is indeed 13.3 inch, I have seen that now. Max upgrade is to 1TB SSD not bad either, but no upgrade in RAM possible, I have this one on my research list too, update later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Get an Lenovo Thinkpad on Adverts with i5 or i7, 8GBs RAM, SSD, backlit keyboard and a full HD screen.

If you can negotiate with Seller to get a good clean, unblemished example you'll be buying a €1400 laptop for €300-400.

They are beautiful machines, I adore mine.

I've bought numerous others for friends and family also.

Eastcoastgreen on Adverts.ie is a good safe bet - I've no connection to this Seller.

I have done a bit of research however it is all open to correction. The two on the list that stand out for me are the following to give extra storage capacity at a later stage & increase RAM:

HP ProBook 430 G6 5TJ81ET#ABU, Intel Core i5 8265U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
    HP Pavilion 14-ce3520sa, Intel Core i7 8265U, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

See attached PDF. Perhaps there are other laptops out there too that I have not come across with similar specs.

Thanks Mango Joe,I have reviewed some of those too & will think about it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Following this thread as I'm in the market too, I know it's over the 700e but any thoughts on this one. Thanks.
    ASUS ZenBook 14 UM431DA 14” AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD, Blue

Needs Must wrote: »
    Following this thread as I'm in the market too, I know it's over the 700e but any thoughts on this one. Thanks.
    ASUS ZenBook 14 UM431DA 14” AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD, Blue

Very good if you are looking at the weight alone. I too would like a light weight, but I am undecided, see attachment, 4 in yellow are my preferred options. I think Id prefer Intel as a processor, but AMD stack up too, Im no expert, youtube.

I would like to have a combination of the following light weight/13.3 inch screen/good storage capacity/good future storage capacity.

HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa does not stack up weight wise, but gives 0.5TB (twice the laptop your looking at) storage, but look what it gives for future storage, 2TB, quadruple your storage.

Comparing the two HP Pavilion 14's, (1st & 4th choice), they both have 0.5TB, and both have great future storage capacity, however its i5 vs i7 processors, hence the 200euro difference, is it worth that, I dont know. Also you would need to check if your current choice offers future storage capacity if thats something you want. UK Crucial & Mr Memory dont seem to have yours on their system for upgrade recommendations.

Our 2nd choice is equivalent in weight with your choice, likewise with RAM & current storage, however our 2nd choice wins out on future storage, 1TB, doubling its storage capacity, also wins on price 120euro difference. Processors are probably similar. You would need to check on all other criteria like Windows 10 provided or not etc.

Just looking back at my choices, Im now favouring towards 1 and 4, both have 1.6kgs, so I need to check weight vs a 1.3kg, one in each hand. If someone could tell me is it worth having an i7 processor over an i5 processor then, no. 4 it is for me.

i7 not worth the cost over i5 in the u range of cpus. there is less than 10% perf in it with those cpus as they are both 4-core.

there is a new high-end u class cpu coming out with 6 cores but it's not out yet and will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Thanks for all the advice on this, it was really helpful. Ended up going for this: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-14-um431da-14-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-blue-10194537-pdt.html

Very good spec for the price and really light, which was important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice on this, it was really helpful. Ended up going for this: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-14-um431da-14-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-blue-10194537-pdt.html

Very good spec for the price and really light, which was important to me.
    Whats the screen like?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    i7 not worth the cost over i5 in the u range of cpus. there is less than 10% perf in it with those cpus as they are both 4-core.

there is a new high-end u class cpu coming out with 6 cores but it's not out yet and will be expensive.

Bsed on that comment Glasso I'll probably go ahead & purchase the HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa

Bsed on that comment Glasso I'll probably go ahead & purchase the HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa

the zenbook is a great option tbh

lovely machine

Advertisement