Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing from Cherbourg to Dublin tonight

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I was another passenger on this with my father, and asides from the delays (we were onboard for around 33 hours total), I didn't think it was too bad. I've certainly been on worse crossings to Fishguard & Holyhead with Stena where it felt like the ship was about to break in half, but the Yeats seemed to cope very well. Lots of rolling, but nothing that prevented going for a walk around the decks.

Lots of sick faces about, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Odelay

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I was another passenger on this with my father, and asides from the delays (we were onboard for around 33 hours total), I didn't think it was too bad. I've certainly been on worse crossings to Fishguard & Holyhead with Stena where it felt like the ship was about to break in half, but the Yeats seemed to cope very well. Lots of rolling, but nothing that prevented going for a walk around the decks.

Lots of sick faces about, mind.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

In the other passenger's defence, I recorded a video during the worst of it, and what was happening on-screen and how much the ship was rolling felt like two very different scenarios. It looked almost peaceful outside!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    In the other passenger's defence, I recorded a video during the worst of it, and what was happening on-screen and how much the ship was rolling felt like two very different scenarios. It looked almost peaceful outside!

Didn't look to be rolling much at all in the OP's video (which I thought was impressive), but it was pitching enough to be pretty uncomfortable for passengers I'm sure. Looks very solid though and I'm sure performed as well as any modern large ship would - certainly much better than the Leinster and St. Columba of old!

Agreed that videos don't always show the full extent of what's going on in real life.

The delay was very bad though, 33 hours is dreadful for what should be 15 or 16 hours perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

PauloMN wrote:
    The delay was very bad though, 33 hours is dreadful for what should be 15 or 16 hours perhaps?

I feel sorry for anyone who was travelling in just a reclining seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

First Up wrote: »
    I feel sorry for anyone who was travelling in just a reclining seat.

I dunno, I prefer not to be lying flat in heavy seas, especially in a windowless cabin, does weird things to my inner ear. I'd take a decent forward facing chair anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Larbre34 wrote:
    I dunno, I prefer not to be lying flat in heavy seas, especially in a windowless cabin, does weird things to my inner ear. I'd take a decent forward facing chair anytime.

33 hours (probably longer) in the same clothes, no shower access, no privacy....

No thanks.

Advertisement