Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

• 21-01-2020 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

starting a new thread to monitor the progress of the national broadband plan in the context of implementation and the actual build out progress

The contract has been signed so that aspect of this is finished the time for argueing for and against the NBP is gone

National Broadband ireland website

https://nbi.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

fergus1001 wrote: »
    starting a new thread to monitor the progress of the national broadband plan in the context of implementation and the actual build out progress

The contract has been signed so that aspect of this is finished the time for argueing for and against the NBP is gone

National Broadband ireland website

https://nbi.ie/

Do we know anything about how the roll out will go? Will they build out 30k from starting points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

CptMackey wrote:
    Do we know anything about how the roll out will go? Will they build out 30k from starting points?

not as of yet NBI are due to come back to us "in the next few weeks" but nothing has come to light given that we are in the middle of an election we wont hear anything untill a new Government is formed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭clohamon

CptMackey wrote: »

Just looking at navi's list of OLTs (227), most correspond to eircom exchange names. The list also includes 17 inhabited islands.

Assuming they *are* using the eircom exchanges, if you draw a 21Km buffer around them you can see there's still a fair amount of overlap.

500728.png

Update:
    Apologies, I forgot @irishfeen already did this.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111833549&postcount=1701

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Two addendums:
    - they won't run the full length from many exchanges
    - the radii are straight lines which obviously roads are not.

The OLTs are in exchanges which cover nearly all the country at 15KM vs 5km of DSL or 8 of POTS.

ED E wrote: »

- the radii are straight lines which obviously roads are not.
    Not sure what the industry assumption/convention is.

I was assuming 30Km straight line maximum from an earlier discussion and then dividing by root 2 for effective radius. (Assuming the cable doesn't double back towards the exchange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Any sightings of the surveying happening? There was a list of areas that were supposedly starting in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Finally an update on their Facebook page

"work on the ground to deliver the #NationalBroadbandPlan has officially started! NBI surveyors were in Carrigaline Cork today and will ramp up across the country.

The #NationalBroadbandPlan will deliver high speed fibre broadband to up to 537,000 homes, farms, schools and businesses around Ireland.

#NationalBroadbandPlan #nbp #nbi #buildingalimitlessireland #ruralireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Limerick Post newspaper front page this week - No home will be left behind as rural broadband roll-out begins

NBI Chief Operations Officer Donal Hanrahan briefing Limerick City and County councillors last Tuesday
    Mr Hanrahan said that people can check on the company's website to check a date for the supply to their area by inputting the postal code.

But he could not say when parts of the county will be covered until each area has been surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Viciously suppresses excitement

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

The Cush wrote: »
    Limerick Post newspaper front page this week - No home will be left behind as rural broadband roll-out begins

NBI Chief Operations Officer Donal Hanrahan briefing Limerick City and County councillors last Tuesday

cant do this on the website as of yet hoping for a date next year seeing as i would be some of the low hanging fruit in kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fergus1001 wrote: »
    cant do this on the website as of yet hoping for a date next year seeing as i would be some of the low hanging fruit in kildare

What would be considered low hanging fruit? They still have to overrun the existing fibre with new fibre , minus the DPs of course.

I'm about 750m from the last DP on our road but as their plan is not to use the existing fibre to that point but to run new fibre almost 4kms to the existing DP location from the local exchange and a further 800m to cover the remaining premises not already covered by the open-eir network.

The Cush wrote: »
    Mr Hanrahan said that people can [present tense] check on the company's website to check a date for the supply to their area by inputting the postal code.

But he could not say when parts of the county will be covered until each area has been surveyed.

Hard to know what to make of that. There were only four OLT's that had an activation date in 2020.(Galway, Kilkenny, Limerick, and Carrigaline)

Putting in sample eircodes for rural Limerick on the NBI website has only yielded nearest BCP information.

My understanding was that they would produce a schedule of survey dates. If they're only going to release the survey dates at short notice then everyone is in the dark until the last moment.

clohamon wrote: »

My understanding was that they would produce a schedule of survey dates. If they're only going to release the survey dates at short notice then everyone is in the dark until the last moment.

Excuse me, I temporarily forgot there's an election on. No one is to be disappointed before Feb 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I was kinda wondering myself why they were surveying first in Cork when it was not in the first four or five counties listed on NBI site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Gary kk wrote: »
    I was kinda wondering myself why they were surveying first in Cork when it was not in the first four or five counties listed on NBI site

Would imagine they will focus on the east and south first and leave the border region and north west to last. Same as everything else in the state

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gary kk wrote: »

Carrigaline and Galway are the first 2 pilot areas. That's why.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Would imagine they will focus on the east and south first and leave the border region and north west to last. Same as everything else in the state

You yourself just happened to neglect to mention the midlands and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My BCP is 6k away, and is described as 'in planning'. Is there any indication anywhere of how long it is likely to be for me to get connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Pique wrote: »
    You yourself just happened to neglect to mention the midlands and west.

No follows to reason they would come in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Is there anymore information on these BCPs? How are they going to work as in when they are switched on how will people be able to connect to them. Will there be a router at each BCP without a password and how far away will people be able to pick up a signal. Ive read somewhere that the signal can travel up to 30kms, does that mean people that are say 10kms away can pick up the signal? If so how will you be able to connect to the BCP. Im 4km from my nearest BCP will i be able to pick up the signal and connect to it, if so is it free for everyone that can do this.

• Advertisement

Is there anymore information on these BCPs? How are they going to work as in when they are switched on how will people be able to connect to them. Will there be a router at each BCP without a password and how far away will people be able to pick up a signal. Ive read somewhere that the signal can travel up to 30kms, does that mean people that are say 10kms away can pick up the signal? If so how will you be able to connect to the BCP. Im 4km from my nearest BCP will i be able to pick up the signal and connect to it, if so is it free for everyone that can do this.

Ha! Nope. It's a WiFi hub.
    https://nbi.ie/broadband-connection-points/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

So you need to go to the BCP location and sit in your car and access the internet. Are they having a laugh who is going to do that when nearly everyone that has a mobile phone has either 3g or 4g internet. What a complete waste of money and time. A whole year putting theses BCPS up.

Funny thing is, on the NBI map for the BCPs, you can put in your eircode to find the nearest one. Mine is 7.5km away, but only if I can drive in a straight line across Lough Ree or fly my helicopter but after Kobe and everything ya know! Google Maps has it at 23km. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

When you think of where we have come from to actually be at the beginning of a fibre rollout isn't it a magnificent feeling? For me personally I know we are maybe 2 years away but 2 years don't be long going, we finally have certainty. That we are into the implementation process now is great. For me it is particular special as I can see digger on the Macroom bypass and know that Fibre is coming, two things I've waited a long time in my life for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

theguzman wrote: »
    When you think of where we have come from to actually be at the beginning of a fibre rollout isn't it a magnificent feeling? For me personally I know we are maybe 2 years away but 2 years don't be long going, we finally have certainty. That we are into the implementation process now is great. For me it is particular special as I can see digger on the Macroom bypass and know that Fibre is coming, two things I've waited a long time in my life for.

Ok, I'm curious, what was the other thing ? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Ok, I'm curious, what was the other thing ? :-)

I'm guessing the Macroom bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This contract will be paused next week when FF get back in
    There will be a review and there will be a long committee hearing on the subject
    NBI can sue,but that will take years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Nothing so far here in West Offaly,apart from what was done by eir when they were cherry picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Mortelaro wrote: »
    This contract will be paused next week when FF get back in
    There will be a review and there will be a long committee hearing on the subject
    NBI can sue,but that will take years

I thought it was all systems go now, is it not all signed up regardless of who is in government next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

mgn wrote: »
    I thought it was all systems go now, is it not all signed up regardless of who is in government next.

It is. People like to scaremonger for whatever reason

Advertisement