Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashbourne - Vodafone Gigabit drop outs

• 08-11-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Anyone on the above with Vodafone and keep getting disconnected through the day - started a few weeks back and I am getting dogs abuse now from the family for constant drop off in Wifi connections etc..

Reset Gigabox - no improvement
    Reset Siro plug in adaptor - no improvement
    Both Lan and Wifi get dropped, however did a wifi scan and will alter channels to find free space. - will test later.
    Turned off Wifi band switching - no effect

Going to call vodafone as a last resort tomorrow but wanted to ask the question here

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The first question here:

- is this internet related ?

or

- is this wifi related ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I was onto vodafone, still getting drops so i think its internet/vodafone side. Did a test on the line and bar my reset of the siro box its been solid so it points to the gigabox. - replacement due this week so will see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

I'm in Ashbourne too. Vodafone Gigabit internet (not using wifi) drops out 4-5 times every day at random times.
    Tech support have spotted the frequent drops and have logged a fault with engineering. If they find the line OK then they will send a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

BrookieD wrote: »
    I was onto vodafone, still getting drops so i think its internet/vodafone side. Did a test on the line and bar my reset of the siro box its been solid so it points to the gigabox. - replacement due this week so will see how it goes

Let us know the update-having the same issue recently and as I work from home frequently it’s very frustrating.

New Router being delivered tomorrow. Will update then, but suspect that it may be a more widespread fault.

• Advertisement

Update:-
    New Gigabit router arrived from Vodafone yesterday and setup immediately. Dropouts every bit as bad as before.....So I guess it’s not the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

Just signed up with Sky Gigabit last week which also runs on Siro's lines and noticed frequent drop outs myself.

The Sky Router loses internet connection, so not an internal issue. Given that I live in Dunboyne pretty close to Ashbourne i suspect that this is the same issue.

Parawind wrote: »
    Just signed up with Sky Gigabit last week which also runs on Siro's lines and noticed frequent drop outs myself.

The Sky Router loses internet connection, so not an internal issue. Given that I live in Dunboyne pretty close to Ashbourne i suspect that this is the same issue.

Sorry ... but they are two different segments of the SIRO access network AND !!! two different providers. Internet connecity beyond SIROs access network has nothing to do with SIRO. Traffic from Ashbourne does not travel to Dunboyne. Traffic from Dunboyne does not travel to Ashbourne. It would be pointless.

That sounds like the biggest nonsense, that anyone ever could come up with. Especially, if you've done no technical troubleshooting at all.

If you have a fault with your provider, start raising it with your provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

Marlow wrote: »
    Sorry ... but they are two different segments of the SIRO access network AND !!! two different providers. Internet connecity beyond SIROs access network has nothing to do with SIRO. Traffic from Ashbourne does not travel to Dunboyne. Traffic from Dunboyne does not travel to Ashbourne. It would be pointless.

That sounds like the biggest nonsense, that anyone every could come up with. Especially, if you've done no technical troubleshooting at all.

If you have a fault with your provider, start raising it with your provider.

/M

I am going to assume that you are a very knowledgeable person on the topic, hence the tone of your response.

So i will try to explain my thinking:

• I have already ruled out a problem on the internal network.
    • The WAN link drops and obviously it still could possibly be an issue with the sky box itself, hence why i said i suspect (you know when you have theory).
    • I will be contacting my provider however if you see the time of my post their support lines closed 8 mins prior and I then found this thread.
    • While Sky and Vodafone are two different providers, the commonality is that both operate on SIRO's infrastructure.
    • I won't pretend to have a detailed understanding of SIRO's infrastructure, so perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by two different segments?

Dunboyne & Ashbourne tend to share a lot of services so it is not impossible to think that traffic from both locations might be routed together and if there was an issue somewhere in SIRO's network that people in both locations could be affected regardless of the ISP providing the service.

Unless I am missing something fundamental here Sky and Vodafone are just service operators using the same lines provided by SIRO. (I am assuming it works on the same principal as any ISP using EIR's ADSL lines.)

So while I have made a few small assumptions, I'd hardly call it nonsense. It could be several individual line faults at the same time within the same general area, its also just as likely to be an issue further upstream affecting a specific area.

SIRO operates an access network.

The actual layer 2 connection from the customer is handed over straight to the provider.

Vodafone connects to each interconnect with SIRO directly. So do a few other operators.

Sky buys connectivity between SIRO and themselves from BT. It is not even the same implementation as Vodafone.

The only one that can shed light into what is actually happening is each provider. But it is EXTREMELY unlikely to be the access network, even though they are in the same vicinity, because they are terminated independently in each town. Dunboyne and Ashbourne are not on the same OLT (which is SIROs termination point of a FTTH cluster.)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

I'm in Ongar and mine drops out randomly multiple times a day. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. It lasts for a minute or so and then I'm assigned a new external IP address.

It has to be a Siro issue further upstream as we're quite far apart plus we've different providers.

Up until a month or so ago it was fine, maybe once a day but now it's every few hours and it makes working at home painful.

I'm on Vodafone and so far today it's reset at around 1.30, 1.40, 7.20, 11.15 and 11.20. (script is checking every 10mins so it isn't exact times)

Extremely unlikely doesn't mean it isn't though. I'll log mine as a fault now and hope that vodafone escalate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

nr3 wrote: »
    I'm in Ongar and mine drops out randomly multiple times a day. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. It lasts for a minute or so and then I'm assigned a new external IP address.

It has to be a Siro issue further upstream as we're quite far apart plus we've different providers.

Up until a month or so ago it was fine, maybe once a day but now it's every few hours and it makes working at home painful.

I'm on Vodafone and so far today it's reset at around 1.30, 1.40, 7.20, 11.15 and 11.20. (script is checking every 10mins so it isn't exact times)

Extremely unlikely doesn't mean it isn't though. I'll log mine as a fault now and hope that vodafone escalate it.

It might be worthwhile contacting SIRO also and giving a link to this thread. At least it might make them aware of the issue.

In Ashbourne. My drops today have been:-
    01:28:34 to 01:29:54
    01:43:34 to 01:43:45
    07:19:27 to 07:19:36
    11:10:29 to 11:10:49
    11:19:31 to 11:19:48
    13:09:29 to 13:10:34

I’ve spent hours onto Vodafone over the past few weeks. New router last week. Yesterday told to replace the cable from ONT to router with genuine Cat 6. Still constant dropouts. My neighbour has dropouts at same time. Phone line drops calls while the internet drops.
    Vodafone are adamant that the problem is not widespread and not an exchange issue. If my timings above match the dropout times for other users, that would suggest that the problem is a deeper one.....but they won’t listen unfortunately.

freddy99 wrote: »

I’ve spent hours onto Vodafone over the past few weeks. New router last week. Yesterday told to replace the cable from ONT to router with genuine Cat 6. Still constant dropouts. My neighbour has dropouts at same time.
    Vodafone are adamant that the problem is not widespread and not an exchange issue. If my timings above match the dropout times for other users, that would suggest that the problem is a deeper one.....but they won’t listen unfortunately.

Very similar to the previous user's times. Again, try contacting SIRO.

Have contacted Vodafone/Siro. They say that they will monitor faults in same area, but Siro will only act if they receive enough calls from same area! The reply seems to be that they can’t find any fault when they test my line. They say that they can’t act on any info from this thread!

With those times many users may not have even noticed that there is an issues and few will be actively monitoring the connection. It might take a while for a mass of complaints to emerge.

Got my replacement modem, Set up and in about 2 hrs got a drop out. had a couple over weekend and will monitor this week. Strangely I use a VPN and did not a correlation to having this active on the PC and drop outs..... Will do some testing.

13:09:29 to 13:10:34

Did you extract the times from a ops log in the router?

Times are from security alarm notifications and cross checked against router fault log

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

Similar drop around 11:10 here.

Was onto Vodafone and told to get a WAN cable capable of CAD6

• Advertisement

OrlaFS2017 wrote: »
    Similar drop around 11:10 here.

Was onto Vodafone and told to get a WAN cable capable of CAD6

Customer support morons.

@siroireland on Twitter. Start embarrassing them publicly.

They told me yesterday that it was a problem requiring a new Cat 6 cable. I followed their advice, but didn’t make any difference. Certainly a troubleshooting step.

They told me yesterday that it was a problem requiring a new Cat 6 cable. I followed their advice, but didn’t make any difference. Certainly a troubleshooting step.

It's complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I've also been having this issue for the last two weeks but with eir. They also use SIRO infrastructure don't they? Haven't kept a log of the times but it's throughout the day.
    What are the chances it's all connected?

I've also been having this issue for the last two weeks but with eir. They also use SIRO infrastructure don't they? Haven't kept a log of the times but it's throughout the day.
    What are the chances it's all connected?

No. eir and SIRO networks are completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Also in Dunboyne and it drops all the time. Voda also told me to switch to a cat6 but nothing improved.They also set me up with two wifi names. Voda long and voda short, said to use tv for short and mobile devices on long. Still crashes or cant play a video at times. How are people recording the times it crashes? Im with siro

I am going to dig in to the event log of the router to see if i can capture reconnect times to the Fiber - must be in there somewhere

Update. Yesterday they ‘Reset my line’.
    I have not had any dropouts until just now 10:26:46

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

Not sure what's been fixed in the background, but mine (in Ongar) hasn't dropped since 13.15ish yesterday.

I didn't get the 10.26 drop today and they had previously corresponded with freddy99's.

Previous to all this, I'd lose it once a day. Recently it had been many many times a day.

I doubt very much that it was the reset to his line that did it...

• Advertisement

My drops have reduced significantly since last Wednesday.
    Drops since then:-
    Thursday at 06:54
    Thursday at 08:48
    Thursday at 22:54
    Sunday at 12:52

Does anyone have similar drops?

Advertisement