Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fritz!box examples on how to get good WiFi coverage

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

detective wrote: »
    Where did you get them online?

Amazon. Just beware that one version is in German only, but it’s not exactly a complicated set of menus.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

chewed wrote: »
    Just saw that! thanks. I might go for it.

We can supply these directly also : https://digiweb.ie/product/fritz-3000-repeater/

As mentioned in the thread all the Fritz powerline devices are continential 2 Pin so we dont supply these just the Fritz 3000 Repeater which comes with 3 pin plug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Amazon. Just beware that one version is in German only, but it’s not exactly a complicated set of menus.

I just got mine from Amazon this morning. Wow...what a difference. I had a PC upstairs that could barely get wifi and kept dropping out. I put the repeater in the landing and now I can get 200 down and 100 up! Very happy.

Digiweb: I wonder if you could just supply them with a converter plug.

https://www.powerconnections.co.uk/convert_eurotouk_bca.htm

The plug is inserted, you turn a screw and it’s locked in place. Many companies use similar devices from power connections and similar companies to convert CEE 7 plugs. My recent Sony TV shipped with one.

The legal requirement is covered once the converter is fitted and can be removed only with a tool. In that case, the plug is inserted (by the retailer) and a screw turned so it can simply be plugged in by the customer.

Basically zero assembly for your team & makes the device marketable.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Digiweb: I wonder if you could just supply them with a converter plug.

https://www.powerconnections.co.uk/convert_eurotouk_bca.htm

The plug is inserted, you turn a screw and it’s locked in place. Many companies use similar devices from power connections and similar companies to convert CEE 7 plugs. My recent Sony TV shipped with one.

The legal requirement is covered once the converter is fitted and can be removed only with a tool. In that case, the plug is inserted (by the retailer) and a screw turned so it can simply be plugged in by the customer.

Basically zero assembly for your team & makes the device marketable.

Hi, yes good suggestion. To be honest we tried before to supply some devices that had just been launched with 2 PIN plug with a 3 pin converter (similar to ones you mentioned) but lots of customers very uncomfortable with them and a level of returns. We did try and explain that they are 100% safe etc.

If there's a market for them or even to help out i'm sure we can get a small number of the Fritz power line devices. Anyboby that would like some, welcome to send a PM

• Advertisement

It’s going to be a huge issue post Brexit as potentially future U.K. spec products without CE marking will be illegal.

From a placing them on the market point of view, the key issue is a converter is fitted and locked to the plug with a screw. It’s no different to the snap on plugs found on umpteen other things and is probably safer as the European 2 pin plugs are very robust connectors and to a very well established spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Strange that Fritz don't make a UK version of their plug in repeaters. I'm sure there would be a market for them.

Seems they’re not very focused on the U.K. at all and other than the U.K. and Ireland hardly anyone uses those plugs, whereas they work across all other European markets and way beyond too.

I would guess if it were worth their while they’d be doing it. It’s literally just a plug pin out.

There’s also at least one ISP using them in NZ, which is another slightly different plug, but same 230V 50Hz power.

Eir uses VDSL2 vectoring very similar to what is used in Germany and a few other continental markets, so some of the smaller ISPs picked up FritzBoxen

Also the VoIP ATA configuration is way more like an Irish landline - correct dial tones and so on - all very familiar, as other than the ringing tone, Caller ID protocol is the same etc we use ETSI standards, the U.K. doesn’t.

And it subsequently turns out they’re probably one of the best home gateways in existence, so they’ve done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

user1842 wrote: »
    Strange that Fritz don't make a UK version of their plug in repeaters. I'm sure there would be a market for them.
    Seems they’re not very focused on the U.K. at all and other than the U.K. and Ireland hardly anyone uses those plugs, whereas they work across all other European markets and way beyond too.

AVMs biggest market has always been Germany and the Netherlands.

Funnily enough, the first Fritz!Box was originally developed for a large telco in the US.

Anyhow, because Germany and the Netherlands are their biggest market, their Plug-In repeaters, Powerline adapters and various other things only come with a continental plug.

There is not enough volume for them in the UK/Ireland to make these unless somebody like BT in the UK would start delivering Fritz!Box routers to their customers.

I mean, in Germany nearly every single provider apart from Deutsche Telekom and maybe Vodafone is pushing Fritz!Box routers.

The Fritz!Repeater 3000 with the external power supply, while being a more pricey solution, are excellent. I have 2 of them here. They are tripple radio repeaters (one 5 GHz to connect to the Mesh, and then one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz for the clients).

But you don't have to use them. You can also just add another Fritz!Box 4040 or 7530. Does the same thing and may end up being cheaper sometimes.

/M

Or just use an adapter! Seriously they’re not they big a deal.
    Also you don’t plug out a router, so whatever way you have the Fritz plugs connected they’ll likely remain that way for months or years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Fused-Euro-Converter-Plug/dp/B00F53OBQG

Buy adapter, insert FritzBox repeater europlug into recessed socket, optionally tighten the screw at the bottom of the converter which clamps it in place, effectively making it an Irish / U.K. version.

Couldn’t be easier. It’s a tiny bit bulkier than it would be if using in a German/French socket but only marginally and it’s extremely well held in place - actually much more securely mounted than it would be in Germany and it’s even locally fused down to 3amps instead of 16/20amps as it would be intended to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Marlow wrote: »
    The Fritz!Repeater 3000 with the external power supply, while being a more pricey solution, are excellent. I have 2 of them here. They are tripple radio repeaters (one 5 GHz to connect to the Mesh, and then one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz for the clients).

But you don't have to use them. You can also just add another Fritz!Box 4040 or 7530. Does the same thing and may end up being cheaper sometimes.

/M

Two questions on this.

If the 3000 is used wired into the mesh are all 3 radios available or does it turn off the 5GHz backhaul one?

Secondly can you say if the radio range is better on the 3000 when used wired in the mesh compared to a 7530 when used wired into the mesh?

Reason I ask is a have a wired 7530 mesh repeater but the signal is restricted by walls to an outside device and I wondered if a 3000 in the same location would be better? I can't move the 7530.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Two questions on this.

If the 3000 is used wired into the mesh are all 3 radios available or does it turn off the 5GHz backhaul one?

Secondly can you say if the radio range is better on the 3000 when used wired in the mesh compared to a 7530 when used wired into the mesh?

Reason I ask is a have a wired 7530 mesh repeater but the signal is restricted by walls to an outside device and I wondered if a 3000 in the same location would be better? I can't move the 7530.

I have a 3000 wired to a 7590 in my parents house (to cover their shed and back garden). Using the Fritzbox app it showed my phone connected to the 3000 via 5GHz at 300-400mbps and that was through a double cavity wall and 20m at the end of the garden.

So I would say the range of the 3000 is excellent (better than the 7530 in my view).

According to the below website only two of the radios are available, even if it is wired to the router:

https://www.techstage.de/test/wlan-mesh-avm-fritz-repeater-3000-im-test/r7qd2dp

(use the translate feature in Chrome :))

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MBSnr wrote: »

I can't think of any advantage to having two 5GHz radios active. Any given device can only connect to one of them.

Fritzbox 7590 AX announced:

https://en.avm.de/press/press-releases/2021/05/fritzbox-7590-ax-the-new-digital-home-hub-with-wi-fi-6/

Also FritzRepeater 6000 announced:

https://en.avm.de/press/press-releases/2021/04/fritzrepeater-6000/

Crazy thing is that the repeater 6000 has a 2.5Gbit ethernet port but the 7590 AX does not. Not sure what the thinking on that was.

Is the €80 to €100 more than the 7530 AX justified, going from a 3x3 WIFI radio to a 4x4 one? im not sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just had Eir 1GB installed. I was using a fritzbox as the master modem and a mesh network off of this. (1 repeater) I’ve had a new Eir modem installed and a lan cable running to the repeater from this and it works ok. I’m just wondering how to set-up the other Fritzbox to create a mesh network. Is it possible to do so or would I have to lose the Eir modem?

Advertisement