Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spark amp

Options
  • 08-05-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Anybody here have the positive grid spark amp?

Are they a good buy for somebody starting out with the guitar?

Or would a Harley Benton tube amp be a better starter amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

They're two very different sorts of beasts. I'm not sure I'd recommend either to a beginner, as the one is likely to be not flexible enough on its own without effects pedals, while the other may be too flexible, with software and apps and the like.

I'd think about one of the smaller, simpler modelling combos, like a Blackstar ID Core. Blackstar stuff is excellent sounding, and that range goes from under a 100 to a few hundred depending on size. Many shops have them so you could try when they reopen. Also something like the Roland Cube range or Fender Mustang.

But in terms of an excellent reliable amp that would last for years, from learning to gigging, you can't go wrong with a traditional two or three channel solid state amp like a Peavey Bandit. I'm playing years, and would still use one in a heartbeat. You can get them easily enough second hand on Adverts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'd lean more towards the Positive Grid for a beginner, especially for the price. Easy to get a tone for whatever you want to play along with. Tube amps tend to sound a bit gack when they're on the inexpensive side, and they really need to have a bit of volume to sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Boss Katana all the way. Best solid state amp out there for any beginner and up.

Not as easy to use as the spark amp for effects but the same principal with Boss Tone Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Thanks all. I’ll take a look at the black star stuff and katana also. Will steer clear of the cheap tube amp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think the Roland cube range is great too, super clean channel, and a channel with lots of overdrive/distortion options as well as a range of built in effects. I bought one for practise a long time ago and it swiftly became my gigging amp. It has attenuation so you can play more quietly at home without losing the tone.

The Spark amps look really interesting so could be worth a look - personally I wouldn't go for a tube amp, but as stated above, don't get a cheap one for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Gaspode wrote: »
    I think the Roland cube range is great too, super clean channel, and a channel with lots of overdrive/distortion options as well as a range of built in effects. I bought one for practise a long time ago and it swiftly became my gigging amp. It has attenuation so you can play more quietly at home without losing the tone.

The Spark amps look really interesting so could be worth a look - personally I wouldn't go for a tube amp, but as stated above, don't get a cheap one for sure.

From what I can see a tube amp is probably overkill for home use anyway. I’ll take a look at the cube too. Should be able to try a few out once the shops only

Advertisement