Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I haven't tried the Raspberry and White Chocolate yet, but the Bourbon Vanilla Chocolate Chip, and the Praline and Cream versions are both delicious too. And all Irish made.

The Salted Caramel is also nice that's worth a try , I haven't tried the Praline and Cream one l must try that but did try the Bourbon Chocolate Chip ,wasn't keen on that one .

The Raspberry and White chocolate I found the nicest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Juwwi wrote: »
    The Raspberry and White chocolate I found the nicest

Definitely next on my list to try so!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this available in Ireland?

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/range/lightly-seasoned-vinegar-blend
    That's vinegar, water, sugar and salt.
    Just make some.
    Yep the breakdown is here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarsons-Minutes-Lightly-Seasoned-Vinegar/dp/B07NZH7YQC

5.7% salt and 25% sugar. The sugar is a very high % so you would not be diluting with water as much.

says its 2.3% acidity so I think that is just a matter of diluting down, most are 5-6%

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes, they are Dunnes own brand but are identical to the ones Aldi used to have.
    They're pretty cheap €1 for a pack of 5, I think.

I don't think they are the same as the ones you linked.

Are these described as Mediterranean wraps on the packaging or just as wraps? Was in Dunnes earlier looking for them but could only see plain Dunnes own brand wraps, the packaging was mainly clear with a small orange box with the Dunnes logo on it.

Had gone in to get a bottle of that Heinz Turkish style garlic sauce but they didnt have that in stock either so left empty handed :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Those Dunnes Lebanese style wraps are really good. They're smaller than usual and have a nice air pocket inside. Orange square on packaging, yes.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep the breakdown is here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sarsons-Minutes-Lightly-Seasoned-Vinegar/dp/B07NZH7YQC

5.7% salt and 25% sugar. The sugar is a very high % so you would not be diluting with water as much.

says its 2.3% acidity so I think that is just a matter of diluting down, most are 5-6%

Just what I needed, thank you.

I want to try to make the sweet pickled cucumbers that some places sell at a huge premium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just what I needed, thank you.

I want to try to make the sweet pickled cucumbers that some places sell at a huge premium.

I make them regularly using Rachel Allen's recipe:

https://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/1258/cucumber-pickle

Saved! Thank you so much!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Saved! Thank you so much!

You're welcome.
    Be careful not to slice them too thinly, they can almost disintegrate. Also, you can keep adding fresh cucumber and onion to the vinegar as it runs out/gets eaten because once you open a jar you can't stop :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Tesco Chipotle Coleslaw 260G €1.49 has a nice mild kick to it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent gotten them in a while but Dunnes have a product in the freezers called Youngs Fish and Chip shop cod fillets, they've a lovely crispy bubbly beer batter on them.

Only problem is it is one of those products that goes up and down in price every few weeks, full price is 6 euro odd then other times they are 50% off at 3 euro odd. Id imagine they do it for their leaflets to promote them as a discount, Tesco do similar with their Milano pizzas, they are either 5.50 or else 2.85 so its pot luck what price they will be when you're in. Its the reason I havent gotten them in a while, Im only in Dunnes about once a month and have lucked out on them being half price in the last few visits. But if you can find them at 3 euro they're decent with some tartare sauce.

Was in Dunnes earlier and these are now half price. There is actually two versions, one called Chip Shop cod fillets XL and the other Chip Shop cod fillets with salt and vinegar. The former is 50% of at 3.30 and the former is 50% off at 2.20. The salt n vinegar ones are found in the freezers at the top of the aisle and the other ones on the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Was in Dunnes earlier and these are now half price. There is actually two versions, one called Chip Shop cod fillets XL and the other Chip Shop cod fillets with salt and vinegar. The former is 50% of at 3.30 and the former is 50% off at 2.20. The salt n vinegar ones are found in the freezers at the top of the aisle and the other ones on the aisle.

The salt and vinegar ones are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So Dunnes have started online grocery shopping for Dublin and Cork with buymie app - so, I downloaded the app and it doesn’t work...great start...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I do too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

What a nice photo :)

Tesco's UK site has customer review and comments for stuff, not everything is sold here but you can get an idea.

I find their sauces hit & miss, all reviews I read so far I would agree with.

I like this sauce, it is cheap with relatively expensive ingredients, i.e. an uncle ben or similar would not have as good a list and be 2-3times the price.

might be too sweet for some, I add roasted cashews to it.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/277042192?fbclid=IwAR3BSPp5x2YWvMmRmVG62ypvvVSHJmnMij0vRpALIrtA06s4QjvqVAR68aM

While this one was appalling
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/266896891

of course it has general brand reviews which might be in other shops

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

con747 wrote: »
    Tesco Chipotle Coleslaw 260G €1.49 has a nice mild kick to it.

I buy the Dunnes Stores one which is nice as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Joyces in Galway city and county often stock co-op products and I've found that their mis-shapes potatoes are the nicest spuds I've had in ages, euro for a kilo

Tesco Finest Barbecue Beef Crisps 150G have the best flavour in a packet of crisps in a long time, will have to try the rest of the range now :pac:

Tesco Finest Barbecue Beef Crisps 150G have the best flavour in a packet of crisps in a long time, will have to try the rest of the range now :pac:

big range of them.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=tesco%20finest%20crisps

and very different from the UK flavours

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=tesco%20finest%20crisps

• Advertisement

Yep, they are fairly new out. A couple of months or so and I forgot to mention them here. Had a packet between us yesterday and great flavour like the last ones, I will check out the range now!

That is a big range, I must try out the bbq beef and sour cream & chive ones.

Those potato roll burger buns seem to have been discontinued in Tesco, Ive looked for them twice now and no joy. Cant see them on their website either.

Those potato roll burger buns seem to have been discontinued in Tesco,
    They could be seasonal, they used to be the BBQ pit range or whatever it was called, firepit or something.

Just like the seed brioche buns have vanished from aldi :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Tesco own brand wine gums and fruit pastilles are both better flavour and texture than the brand equivalents

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Tesco own brand wine gums and fruit pastilles are both better flavour and texture than the brand equivalents

The same with their jelly babies and most of that range is a fraction of the price of the branded ones.

The same with their jelly babies and most of that range is a fraction of the price of the branded ones.

+1 on the jelly babies, lovely and soft and a proper outer layer like I remember.

I also wonder if part of the reason is the branded/originals are dropping in quality, I don't really eat those types of sweets, more a chocolate person but I remember been given rowntree fruit pastilles a while ago and was not impressed at all. I wondered if they suffered the same fate as dairy milk and others.

I really like the frozen chopped rosemary from Tesco. Very fresh tasting and pungent.

I don't use rosemary so often, so this is great to put in fried potatoes or on an omelette.

Good call, I always find myself stuck with dried rosemary which isnt great. Where is the frozen stuff found in Tesco, among the frozen veg somewhere?

Another Tesco find Ive had lately is their newish (I think) take away pizza range that sees to be a their copy of Dominoes as it comes in similar blue/red pizza boxes. I havent tried the pizza yet but in the range there is a hot chocolate fudge cake which when microwaved for 2 minutes the chocolate sauce on it melts into the cake. Only 3 euro too which yields four good slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Good call, I always find myself stuck with dried rosemary which isnt great. Where is the frozen stuff found in Tesco, among the frozen veg somewhere?

Another Tesco find Ive had lately is their newish (I think) take away pizza range that sees to be a their copy of Dominoes as it comes in similar blue/red pizza boxes. I havent tried the pizza yet but in the range there is a hot chocolate fudge cake which when microwaved for 2 minutes the chocolate sauce on it melts into the cake. Only 3 euro too which yields four good slices.

That's The Pizza Company pizzas. The stuffed crust cheese one is very good.

• Advertisement

Where is the frozen stuff found in Tesco, among the frozen veg somewhere?

Yeah, in the big freezers with the veg.
    Tesco finest, silver and black packaging.

Advertisement