Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very happy with the Broil King.
    First off were a couple of ribeyes. Very good. Nice grill marks. Good sear.

Did a few chicken wings as a snack - delicious.

Cooked hake fillets for dinner last night.
    I love an outdoor grill for fish - no fishy smells in the house. I use one of those fish basket yokes.
    Fish comes off the grill fantastic.

So far, I'm very happy.
    I'd take a bit more heat but, really, it's not necessary - I'm just a bit of a high temp fiend when I cook quickly. The heat distribution is excellent.

It's way better than my old (cheap) Landsman, which served me well, uncovered for about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Delighted to have found this thread. My trusty old Outback has served me well for many years but it's time to move on. New patio on the way next month (subject to the builder and Covid 19 restrictions). Budget for gas BBQ is around €500-600. Great to see recommendations here. I like the sound of Beer Revolution's Broil King. Our old bbq had a hot plate that got great use so AEH's West Virginia looks good too. Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

jos28 wrote: »
    Delighted to have found this thread. My trusty old Outback has served me well for many years but it's time to move on. New patio on the way next month (subject to the builder and Covid 19 restrictions). Budget for gas BBQ is around €500-600. Great to see recommendations here. I like the sound of Beer Revolution's Broil King. Our old bbq had a hot plate that got great use so AEH's West Virginia looks good too. Decisions, decisions

I’m going to fire up my new Weber E310 this weekend I’ll let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

jos28 wrote: »

Hopefully getting this tomorrow so will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

After a lot of online browsing I finally place an order for a 3 burner Sahara, first proper bbq. Been using a cheap Aldi charcoal one that has no lid the last 2 years. Looking forward to getting cooking, hopefully it’s not an impulse lockdown buy !! Just need to find somewhere to get gas within a 2 k radius.

• Advertisement

bambam26 wrote: »
    After a lot of online browsing I finally place an order for a 3 burner Sahara, first proper bbq. Been using a cheap Aldi charcoal one that has no lid the last 2 years. Looking forward to getting cooking, hopefully it’s not an impulse lockdown buy !! Just need to find somewhere to get gas within a 2 k radius.

What are parts like for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ah glad to help- when I first started with gas BBQs I was cooking full blast with the lid always open- I mean, you can do that but it’s a waste of gas and you’re chained to the BBQ the whole time.
    The beauty of gas BBQ is once you get to know your grill and it’s optimum cooking temp for various different foods, you just let it do its thing while you get the rest of the meal ready or indeed sit and relax with a drink - a little patience in cooking times is the secret to successful gas BBQing. Also consider dry rubs for chicken with skin on or fatty foods like chops- that will reduce flare ups and you can always dip them in BBQ sauce once cooked

Great advice, I was using my BBQ as more of a grill...

That was up to yesterday when I cooked a leg of lamb, Lid down up high the other end of the BBQ and just let it cook.

Amazing, Best lamb Ive ever had!

511113.jpg

Hopefully won’t need it but the bbq comes with a long warranty and if that fails there is a few spare part stockists in the UK and they have a place in Ireland, that’s where I have ordered from so if needed there should not be a problem getting spares.

afatbollix wrote: »

That was up to yesterday when I cooked a leg of lamb, Lid down up high the other end of the BBQ and just let it cook.

511113.jpg

Wow that looks seriously good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

511113.jpg

Can you fire up instructions on what temp / timing etc? might look to do something this weekend
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

That lamb looks amazing. I think that might be the first meal I cook when my family can visit again. That would make them all very happy. Might give it a trial run this weekend.

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Hopefully getting this tomorrow so will keep you posted.

Arrived today, easy enough to assemble for one person.

Will give it a run tomorrow.

Wow didn't expect it to that this much reaction.

I made up the recipe but here's the basics.

I shoved in a load of cloves of garlic.

Made a marinade with the following:
    ground cumin
    praprika
    thyme
    honey
    Balsamic vinegar
    olive oil

Mix all together and I let marinade for about 3 hours.

When I started I put all the burners on and the guage on the lid said it reached 250c
    I then droped two of the burners and put on the lamb on that section keeping the other two on high.
    This then seared it and gave it a good colour.
    I then kept the lid temp to 200c for about 35 mins I put on a few coating of marinade that stayed in the bowl when I was flipping it.

I used a meat temp gauge and took it off at 55c to let rest until it reached 60c and then enjoyed with the family.

Going to try beer can chicken next I think.

Thanks a million for that, definitely gonna be my first 'Out of Lockdown' family meal. Hope I don't have to wait too long

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭kegg

It's in the reviews if ya care to look. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes gas is handy but charcoal is so much better
    thats why i got one of these a couple of years back

https://www.outbackdirect.co.uk/outback-2-burner-combi-hooded-gas-and-charcoal-bbq.html

Which one do you use most?

Do you just use the gas section just as a high temp grill?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Which one do you use most?

Do you just use the gas section just as a high temp grill?

yes mostly use the gas, its not my preferred option, but i use it for quick and ease if im just doing a steak or burger for dinner. if im doing a big bbq then its charcoal, or even both depending on how many im cooking for.

the gas has a grill tray and a plate. the grill has a tray of lava rock under it, i think it does add a bit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Arrived today, easy enough to assemble for one person.

Will give it a run tomorrow.

How did you get on with it. Pulled the trigger on this on Sunday, paid the extra 4 euro for express delivery and arrived yesterday, very impressed! Will throw it together tomorrow

HI, anyone got any tips or methods on best way to cook the BBQ staples like sausage , chicken fillets, fish ect.

Do you guys for example flatten the chicken fillets or butterfly them. My BBQ experience is literally limited to burgers and steaks but as I eagerly stare out the window waiting on the delivery van to pull up with my first proper BBQ I would love to get some guidance on the basics so I can get good at them and maybe move on to bigger and better recipes.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

HI, anyone got any tips or methods on best way to cook the BBQ staples like sausage , chicken fillets, fish ect.

Do you guys for example flatten the chicken fillets or butterfly them. My BBQ experience is literally limited to burgers and steaks but as I eagerly stare out the window waiting on the delivery van to pull up with my first proper BBQ I would love to get some guidance on the basics so I can get good at them and maybe move on to bigger and better recipes.

thanks

My way for chicken, sausages etc is to turn the bbq on it’s highest setting for 5/10 minutes with the lid down to heat the grills. Turn all the burners down to low and put your meat on, lid back down and leave for about 10 minutes max. Check and turn meat. There will be hotter/cooler spots so replace the pieces that are nearly burning to a cooler spot and vice versa. Keep checking every 5 minutes or so turning, moving for 20/25 minutes until everything is cooked through.

Once a piece is cooked through, put it on the upper grill until all the pieces are ready.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Put your sausages into a bowl, pour boiling water over them and leave them in there for about ten minutes before cooking them - they don't shrivel nearly as much.

kegg wrote: »
    It's in the reviews if ya care to look. ; )

and I've just reported your post, because this forum is not about following people around on Boards ie and tolling their posts - quite frankly you're scaring me

So i've reported your post and I'll let the mods deal with that.

thanks

Rule 1:
    Keep it low till you know how your BBQ behaves

Rule 2: See rule 1 (for chicken, ribs, sausages, but not steak)

It's actually that simple.

Rule 3:
    Do "something"- you'll learn - just don't treat it as a big fiery grill, until you know what "big fiery grills" are used for.

It will absolutely cook your steak to your liking- you just need to learn a bit more- but low and slow will teach you lots

Best of luck

Got my beer can holder today.

Can't wait to shove a beer can up a chickens arse......

Got my beer can holder today.

Can't wait to shove a beer can up a chickens arse......

I've shoved such an implement on Weber charcoal and a gas- for me? It's all about the pre-smoking if you want to get the taste- so you need some sort of smoker device before the gas- which is essentially a very fast oven- spatchcock for me is the way to go- but even then, you need to treat it correctly on gas.

but please, disagree with above post if you want- I'm learning too, but that's been my experience.

for a whole chicken- very little oil- LOADS of herbs- a bit of paprika- some salt and pepper - then low and slow- with Beer of course :P

PS- you can spatchcock a chicken on a gas, with herbs/rub in about 40 mins. it will certainly turn out well.

But combining with smoke, and a slower cook, it will turn out brilliant.

You can certainly do beer can chicken on gas- but it's a bit of a waste of beer- i find that spatchcock works best on gas- only my opinion-

duffman13 wrote: »
    How did you get on with it. Pulled the trigger on this on Sunday, paid the extra 4 euro for express delivery and arrived yesterday, very impressed! Will throw it together tomorrow

Sorry just seeing this, delighted with it. Have used it everyday so far. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

https://www.saharabbqs.com/products/3-burner-oak-bbq/

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on what BBQ to pick up for a newbie. I'm gonna go gas for ease of use as I feel I'd get more use out of it than a charcoal.

Is the above a good choice? The Sahara X350 is a similar price but the extra price gives a side burner and I'm not sure I'd have the use for it. I'd prefer the removable boards of the above barbeque.

I don't want to spend more than the €350 mark. Any other recommendations or am I on the right track? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PS- you can spatchcock a chicken on a gas, with herbs/rub in about 40 mins. it will certainly turn out well.

But combining with smoke, and a slower cook, it will turn out brilliant.

Couple of little twists you can do to help it along. Probably mentioned before but a smoker box will give the skin a kiss of smoke. And/or a piece or two of burning charcoal on some foil. Lid down, it'll produce the same results.

Advertisement