Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No, I've only noticed them myself in the last few weeks, so I think they're a pretty new addition.

Maybe the herbs are new, I never noticed TBH, but I got frozen garlic last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lynch's apple crumble 1.99, delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Agree with Lynchs crumbles and tarts.

I have finally found a red wine I like its the Cabernet-Carmenere-Syrah one with the bronze top... its delicious. I did not like either of the Malbec's found them flavourless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi got onion rings back, they disappeared for a year for some reason, new ones are lovely, the classic type we've been eating since kids. Also have garlic mushrooms, I didnt think they were that nice though, a lot of mushroom juice came out of mine when I bit into it and it kind of put me off tbh, it was very slimy.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Well, that is two bad melons in a row i got in aldi:( The watermelon i got last night was way too pale inside and completely tasteless :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The Specially Selected Chunky oven chips are pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I like their health foods in particular flaked almonds , sunflower seeds , chia bia , dried fruits etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

The sea salt dark chocolate is amazing

BuffyBot wrote: »

Yes... I just LOVE these, someone else said that the goose fat roasted pots are great as well:)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    They've taken it too far imo, some of them are basically just full spuds with a bit of edge sliced off. These are the best oven chips in Aldi, specially if you have an Airfryer, better than anything else on the market:

Rp_Chips_PD7a_67375988b5.jpg

• Advertisement

I tried their frozen veg last night, the one in the little pot it has peas, broccoli and sugar snap peas, I must say I was very impressed, delicious veg at a great price and you only have to microwave for 6 mins or so....

My husband tried the Chicken and Chorizo pie but was not impressed, sadly, said it was a very poor example of a pie... nothing like the quality of M&S.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I tried their frozen veg last night, the one in the little pot it has peas, broccoli and sugar snap peas, I must say I was very impressed, delicious veg at a great price and you only have to microwave for 6 mins or so....

My husband tried the Chicken and Chorizo pie but was not impressed, sadly, said it was a very poor example of a pie... nothing like the quality of M&S.
    Steak and Stout ones are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

The schitnilz they had were amazing. I think it was aldi or lidl. I'm sad they don't have them anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

The artichoke in the jars is loverly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I love their shortcrust pastry. It's very cheap and makes lovely sausage rolls/pies. I wouldn't be bothered making pastry when this is so nice :o!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Dried cured ham - 2kg . Do any of the other multiples offer a similar product ?

The gluten free apple tart is a real coeliac treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

New, spreadable goats cheese, delish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I love their shortcrust pastry. It's very cheap and makes lovely sausage rolls/pies. I wouldn't be bothered making pastry when this is so nice :o!

Marry this with their Specially Selected Mincemeat pretty soon for seasonal mince pies and mmmm. (With a shot of their cognac per jar of mincemeat to add a little extra oomph.)

My husband tried the speciality mince pies this week and thought they were really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yes... I just LOVE these, someone else said that the goose fat roasted pots are great as well:)

No goose fat roasties in my Aldi anymore, just regular ones :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Nearly certain I saw some in East Wall today

BTW they have a 1800- number where you can ask about things like :

- If something is discontinued or just subject to a short term supply issue

- When a certain special might come back on offe

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Their antipasti grilled peppers are out of this world

My husband tried the speciality mince pies this week and thought they were really nice.
    All the mince pies expire in November! I always check after seeing a Watchdog about it a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

0lddog wrote: »
    Nearly certain I saw some in East Wall today

BTW they have a 1800- number where you can ask about things like :

- If something is discontinued or just subject to a short term supply issue

- When a certain special might come back on offe
    I'm a long way from East Wall :)
    I was cooking duck breast (from Lidl...say nothing) yesterday and all the fat from it helped the taste of the roasties which I was cooking in the same tray.

I didn't know about that 1800 number. Thanks. There is something I want to enquire about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The Australian wines called Kooliburra... the ones with the lizard on the bottles both red and whites are full of flavour and content come it about 6.50 a bottle.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

They are in stock in Kerry.

Thargor wrote: »
    All the mince pies expire in November! I always check after seeing a Watchdog about it a few years ago.

They will be eaten by then for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Australian wines called Kooliburra... the ones with the lizard on the bottles both red and whites are full of flavour and content come it about 6.50 a bottle.

Yeah they're gorgeous, I particularly love the Shiraz.
    Beautiful wine for a pittance.

I came here to recommend Brannan's Honey Roast Ham.

I am extremely fussy with ham. Up until recently I only bought Denny Crumbed Ham. Only. No other.

But I was getting sick of finding fat globules, stringy bits and tough bits on each slice, and they're sneaky at hiding these horrible bits with the packaging.

So I decided to bite the bullet and try another.
    After carefully looking through all the hams in Aldi, I selected the Honey Roast ham. 10 slices for €2.29.
    Tasted some on its' own and I was so impressed!

No nasty fat bits and a lovely savoury flavour.
    I was so surprised and I'm going to stick with this ham from now on.
    Bargain too.

The Denny was costing €3.99 for 10 slices but this is cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

fussyonion wrote: »
    I came here to recommend Brannan's Honey Roast Ham.

I am extremely fussy with ham. Up until recently I only bought Denny Crumbed Ham. Only. No other.

Oh, I thought it was with onions :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

They are GORGEOUS. I don't particularly like mince pies, but I make an exception for these. They're something else. :D

Advertisement