Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Wagon Wheels (6 for 99c!)

That's it - I'm getting Mrs Billy to do all our shopping in Aldi from now on!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Rhubarb yogurt. mmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

I shop in Aldi now for most things.

Glutenfree items = great selection now, lovely sodabread and apple pie :)
    Fresh coffee
    Biscuits/granola
    Chocolate
    Fruit/veg espec when on offer
    "Specially selected" meat in vacuum packs eg steak but also have had lamb and pork = all good.
    Sliced ham and smoked salmon
    West cork yogurt
    Currysauces with separate dried spices.
    Magnum washup liquid

I also enjoy the serendipity of seeing what is on offer in the non food items that vary from week to week. I like the size of the shops, not too big, can zip around and stuff is not moved from regular spots. You rarely have long to wait at checkout. Staff are friendly and efficient...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

That's it - I'm getting Mrs Billy to do all our shopping in Aldi from now on!!! :D

They might be Aldi's version (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)...I can't remember, but whatever they are they're fricking delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

Curry Sauce:

Would they be the ones in glass jar with spices attached to lid in own container? There about 6 varieties with different strength of curry and are own brand "speically selected". I think the keeping separate of the spices til cooking time is the key to the better flavour 'hit'.

• Advertisement

cobham wrote: »
    Curry Sauce:

Would they be the ones in glass jar with spices attached to lid in own container? There about 6 varieties with different strength of curry and are own brand "speically selected". I think the keeping separate of the spices til cooking time is the key to the better flavour 'hit'.

Yeah, that's them.
    They're gorgeous and I don't think I've ever seen sauces like it anywhere else.
    I'm a big fan of Indian curries and these Aldi ones are pretty spot-on for authenticity and flavour.
    Love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I was going to ask about their wine, they have a Malbac which seems to have won an award, anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 swaywme

I think the thread may be shorter if you ask what to avoid!

God bless Aldi, this recession would have been an awful lot worse if they weren't around. :)

Agree

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I was going to ask about their wine, they have a Malbac which seems to have won an award, anyone tried this?

I haven't tried the Malbac, but I often buy their Kookiburra Shiraz and Kookiburra Merlot. They're about €5.49 a bottle and really nice.

I can also recommend the Cambalala Sauvignon Blanc (€5.49) which is gorgeous when chilled nicely...really crisp and fresh.

I personally didn't like the Baron St. Jean wine they sell (€3.99) but each to their own.

Oh, and their Exquisite Fleurie is absolutely delicious!

And their champagne too! I actually thought it was much nicer than Moet (not that I drink Moet often); there was actual flavour there, as well as bubbles, and it actually beat Moet hands down in a blind tasting test a few years back when a group of champagne experts tried it.
    It's called "Monsigny" and it's €19.99, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Great steaks in the black packets. The cottage cheese is very nice. Clontarf Whiskey at under €19 is almost as good as Jameson and beats the likes of Paddy hands down. Pistachios and Cashews in the foil packets. Currently have new Irish Queens potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know about the Aldi €500 voucher that's on facebook? The plan is to share and like the logo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know about the Aldi €500 voucher that's on facebook? The plan is to share and like the logo.

Yes. Its fake. They're all fake, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

The O'Shea's beers are supposed to be quite good, they're brewed by the same crowd that do O'Hara's. Not sure if they're permanent or just on occasional special offer.

Just tried the Aldi porridge, just the regular one not the Organic.... omg... its delicious.... far nicer than Odlems or Flavahans.... cannot believe it... a huge pack for less thank 2 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Aldi's Original Rye Crispbreads are stunningly good. Lovely slightly salty and nutty flavour to them. Nice and healthy too which offsets their Salted Caramel Choc Ices! Which are, err, also good for you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

AVOID the Mango sorbet. Tastes artificial and acrid. Not a patch on the sorbet they used to stock. I was so delighted to see sorbet back in the freezer I didn't read the ingredients. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Sounds lovely... will give it a try.

I finally had the Aldi Angus Sirloin Steaks last night, oh my God they were delicious... absolutely 10/10.... and they were on special offer I think a euro off.... definitely one the the nicest steaks I have ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Oh thanks will try that one as well.

somewhere on the boards i read that Aldi used to do frozen mashed potatoes but can't find them in our one, do you know if they have discontinued?

i like cooking but can't be bothered with making mash... it has always turned out yucky.

thats a shame about the tea... never mind .... i often wonder why on earth people change a formula
    when it works.

The mash seems to be an autumn/winter product, it stopped in Mar/Apr 2014 and then came back in around October and seems to have disappeared from the shelves around the same time this year.

I've recently discovered their frozen garlic and chilli (also parsley etc, but I've not sampled them), for me these are the first, time saving ingredients, comparable to the real thing (i've tried a lot of variations of these, particularly the garlic and chilli in olive oil or vinegar). Great time saver.

Stackers salt and vinegar are also superior to pringles imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi 200g irish mature cheddar is great, and on special at 1.49 now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

vicwatson wrote: »

+1 for this and their extra mature great value and lovely deep flavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah I love that one. The Cork buffalo mozzarella that appeared recently is also great although a bit salty for pizzas.

I had the Aldi Mashed Potato last night, it was delicious, think it was 1.49 another great product delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I had the Aldi Mashed Potato last night, it was delicious, think it was 1.49 another great product delighted with it.

This frozen ??

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

This frozen ??

I think this is it https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/ready-meals/irish-carvery-meals/products-detail-page/ps/p/mashed-potatoo/

It's fresh/chilled.

I think Aldi's potato salad mashed version is cheaper per kg but probably has more additives.

Aldi's frozen mash is good but they seem to destock in summer. From memory, it contains just potato, butter and maybe salt.

I hate the idea of buying pre-prepared versions of a food as honest and easy to cook as potato but these products can be very handy and are probably a healthier option than bread or pasta for a quick meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Aldi Irish vintage cheddar is even better and €1.59 for 250g! That's about half the price of anything comparable, to my taste at least.

Yes it was the chilled version.

I also tried their Speciality Pasta Sauce with Chilli.... delicious.

Still working my way though Aldi products... (alongside SuperValu its our nearest supermarket and as we are new to living in the area and to Aldi stores I am so enjoying the experience and of course saving money!)

Last night hubbie had the Duck, he said it was delicious, he loves duck and its up there with the best he has had.

I had the Frozen Sole (the Lemon flavoured one) my oh my it was yummy... can't believe the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ryath wrote: »

Thank you for posting this, we tried the lemon pepper spatchcock tonight. Simply delicious!

Advertisement