Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

Where I think it falls down is when you want both. So if I'm doing a bbq for a few people I'll probably do a few things indirect - sweet corn, rack of lamb, garlic bread, whatever and then some direct later like steaks or sausages. So if I have it set up for all indirect, I can't grill at the end. Or if I do half and half I've a fairly small area for it.

Or even just doing wings - I'll have coals on a third of the grill or so and put them on the other side. Sometimes I'll crisp them up a little more over the coals and if I'm doing a sauce I'll do it on the bbq rather than go inside to cook it.

As I say, I'd love a Kamado and will probably get one once I can justify it. But I can see a couple of areas where the kettle trumps it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I bought the bono limited. Grill space is about the same as the 57cm kettle, so it covers everything i need. Particularly with the half and half zone.

Its big but i don’t know where they’re going saying its suitable for restaurants etc. maybe if you’ve 6-7 of them! I can never have enough grill space. I don’t know how some people cook on the tiny ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

blue note wrote: »
    Where I think it falls down is when you want both. So if I'm doing a bbq for a few people I'll probably do a few things indirect - sweet corn, rack of lamb, garlic bread, whatever and then some direct later like steaks or sausages. So if I have it set up for all indirect, I can't grill at the end. Or if I do half and half I've a fairly small area for it.

Or even just doing wings - I'll have coals on a third of the grill or so and put them on the other side. Sometimes I'll crisp them up a little more over the coals and if I'm doing a sauce I'll do it on the bbq rather than go inside to cook it.

As I say, I'd love a Kamado and will probably get one once I can justify it. But I can see a couple of areas where the kettle trumps it.

You can have half the grill for indirect and half for direct grilling too. It comes with 2 half moon deflector plates. You can even adjust the height of the grill to increase or decrease its temperature

You can have half the grill for indirect and half for direct grilling too. It comes with 2 half moon deflector plates. You can even adjust the height of the grill to increase or decrease its temperature

That's where I'm saying he size of the grill is an issue. A 57cm grill has about 50% now grill space than an 18 inch. Unless you go for the grande models of course where it's the same.

blue note wrote: »
    That's where I'm saying he size of the grill is an issue. A 57cm grill has about 50% now grill space than an 18 inch. Unless you go for the grande models of course where it's the same.

I agree with you on sizes, I got a Grande(50cm grill) and I think that size is good enough for me, but the limited would be better (but it would be too bulky for my patio). minimo and media are in my opinion too small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 An tAlbanach

Hi folks. Currently have my kamado bono out in the garden curing before BBQ weather tomorrow. Can anyone recommend best videos for learning to use it properly? I'd like yo do burgers, sausages and chicken skewers tomorrow but make pulled pork next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

Smoking Dad BBQ is a painful guy but his videos are quite informative.

Lamb lollipops... sweet baby jesus! And wedges with pomegranate roasted carrots all done on the kamado. Starting to use the oven less and less these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi folks. Currently have my kamado bono out in the garden curing before BBQ weather tomorrow. Can anyone recommend best videos for learning to use it properly? I'd like yo do burgers, sausages and chicken skewers tomorrow but make pulled pork next week.

John Seztler on the kamado Joe cooking channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Lamb lollipops... sweet baby jesus! And wedges with pomegranate roasted carrots all done on the kamado. Starting to use the oven less and less these days.

Looks great. Lamb in general is not spoken about enough for bbq - leg, shoulder, chops - it's all great. Maybe the Americans aren't into it.

• Advertisement

Another vote for smoking dad bbq. He’s a bit of a spanner but his videos are useful.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone sourced anywhere you can buy wood chunks for smoking?

The Weber chips IMO don't work great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Goodwood fuels in Drogheda do many different types , they ship them also.

awec wrote: »
    Has anyone sourced anywhere you can buy wood chunks for smoking?

The Weber chips IMO don't work great.

I was in Eddie's smokeless fuels in donaghmeade the other day for charcoal and they have a great bbq selection there. A bigger selection of wood chunks and charcoal than I've seen anywhere else, as well as lots of the Angus and Oink stuff which are great.

They have much more in the shop than on the website too. I got pear chunks for smoking while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Looks like you will get sorted closer to home but another option would be gobbqco.com in the north.

They carry smoke wood shack chunks. The website always shows them as out of stock but if you email or phone them they will have them in stock (they said the leave them as out of stock on the site as they had people in England ordering 1 bag of them and it was costing them more to post than the fee).

https://gobbqco.com/product-category/smoking-wood/

Will remember those for next time. I put in an order with goodwoods.

Will remember those for next time. I put in an order with goodwoods.

Delivered today, impressive service by Goodwoods! Will use them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bought a beef chuck feather this morning, will smoke it tomorrow to make barbacoa beef

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

shout out to cookinglif.eu (https://cookinglife.eu/jay-hill-wood-chunks-cherry-2-5-kg/?sqr=cherry%20wood&).
    Ordered apple and cherry from them, delivered within a week. Seemed like decent price too.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

EDIT:
    gobbq posted earlier seems to be cheaper, will try them next time.
    https://gobbqco.com/product-category/smoking-wood/

• Advertisement

Did more baby backs this weekend but I am always disappointed with the lack of meat on these things. Maybe I'm cutting them wrong after or something. If you get one mouthful off a rib you are doing well.

Think I'll be taking a break from ribs for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

Did more baby backs this weekend but I am always disappointed with the lack of meat on these things. Maybe I'm cutting them wrong after or something. If you get one mouthful off a rib you are doing well.

Think I'll be taking a break from ribs for a while.

If you have access to Musgraves they have frozen Spanish ribs with lots of meat on them.

PXL-20210205-153951708.jpg

PXL-20210209-132841374.jpg

oleras wrote: »
    If you have access to Musgraves they have frozen Spanish ribs with lots of meat on them.

PXL-20210205-153951708.jpg

PXL-20210209-132841374.jpg

Care sharing the account by pm? :D:D:D:D just messing (or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My neighbour said I could borrow his Musgrave account. He works there.
    I am wondering if he will have to pay taxes on my purchases?

Its through work and i have to show work ID.

My neighbour said I could borrow his Musgrave account. He works there.
    I am wondering if he will have to pay taxes on my purchases?

You pay in cash the full amount at the till, unlike a business where they would have a credit facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

But I think its not open for general public. Am I right?
    oleras wrote: »
    You pay in cash the full amount at the till, unlike a business where they would have a credit facility.

But I think its not open for general public. Am I right?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

first outing with the kamado bone grande and couldn't be happier with how it went.
    as it was warming up i threw on some sausages. everyone commented on the smoky flavour. very tasty.
    then i made probably the only mistake of the day, ran up the temperature to 500f for fun, but then it is hard to get it back down to 225 for smoking. part of the learning.
    i asked for spare ribs from FX buckley, these are what i got. nice and meaty but maybe i should ask for st louis style next time?
    the smaller, back one fell apart a bit as i took it out of the foil.

LPfFMX5.jpg

for the wings i just added some rub and painted on some sauce shop buffalo hot sauce as they were turning.

5j3Hq5D.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I did a lovely side of salmon on the kamado the other day. Was a large one, so I cut into three large fillets and:

- Cured one overnight in gin, juniper berries, salt, sugar and lime zest, and served as a gravalax

The other two I smoked for an hour on a soaked cedar plank:
    - Marinated one in soy, brown sugar, ginger and lemon
    - Smoked the other with lemon slices and served with lemon and dill

All three were fabulous but I particularly enjoyed the Japanese-style one. Quick cooks as well — they were in the smoker for just an hour.

Advertisement