Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Kettle For Visually Impaired

• 25-01-2021 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

As the title says, any recommendations for an electric kettle for my mam who's quite visually impaired.
    NCBI don't seem to have anything appropriate for her and most suggestions online seem to lean towards hot water dispenser type products but I can't see them working in this scenario.
    Veering towards a clear transparent kettle with LED illumination but hoped there may be something more purpose designed.

Thanks for any advice offered!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi, I hope this is not a stupid question, but what aspect of the kettle, or its boiling, do you need illuminated/made more clear? I have good sight but am hearing impaired and I would go on the sound of the boil and switch off to know it had boiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

looksee wrote: »
    Hi, I hope this is not a stupid question, but what aspect of the kettle, or its boiling, do you need illuminated/made more clear? I have good sight but am hearing impaired and I would go on the sound of the boil and switch off to know it had boiled.

It's the filling and knowing when it's full is Mam's problem, she'll often overfill it causing it to overflow if even manage to get the water into it at all.
    Currently it switch's off fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh right! Did not think of that. Would using a jug help in the short term, doesn't matter too much if a jug overflows in the sink, though kettle lids are not the most accommodating for using a jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

looksee wrote: »
    Oh right! Did not think of that. Would using a jug help in the short term, doesn't matter too much if a jug overflows in the sink, though kettle lids are not the most accommodating for using a jug.

Yeah, tried that but this lady's not great when it comes to change unfortunately even when it's beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Even if your mother does not like change to only way forward is for her to adapt.

A jug is the safest way to fill a kettle - or else if you can find a vessel that she can fill that will not overload the kettle and then show her how to fill the vessel from the tap and then pour this into the kettle.

Also - for pouring - a vibrating level indicator is very very useful. The NCBI sell them for about 15 euro but they are out of stock at present. The UK shops are likely to have them.

They work by vibrating and making a beeping sound when the pourer of liquid get close to the top of the vessel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi Folks,

As the title says, any recommendations for an electric kettle for my mam who's quite visually impaired.
    NCBI don't seem to have anything appropriate for her and most suggestions online seem to lean towards hot water dispenser type products but I can't see them working in this scenario.
    Veering towards a clear transparent kettle with LED illumination but hoped there may be something more purpose designed.

Thanks for any advice offered!

Is there nothing equivalent to a whistling kettle in electric kettles? ?

( I use a whistling kettle on my gas stove).

EUREKA! Google" whistling electric kettle" Of course they make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The NCBI have a sensor that she can place in the side of her mug that will alert her to when it’s full. Best I can think of
    https://www.ncbi.ie/product/liquid-level-indicator-dk127/

Advertisement