Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bible Wordcounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Gordon wrote: »
    I count 55 for hell. Searched "hell " and "Hell" (case sensitive on the second search).

That could pick up "shell" or other words, have to search with surrounding spaces or a following full stop.

edit: Strike that, forgot commas, semi colons etc. Have 54 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

dinosaur: 0

How about "dragon" then?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dragon: 35
    bearded: 0
    beard: 20
    spittle: 3

Aye, it's not an exact science finding words in the bible, smokingman eh?!

neo: 0
    trinity: 0
    morpheus: 0
    agent: 0
    tank: 0
    cypher: 0
    mouse: 1
    matrix: 5
    oracle: 21
    Nebuchadnezzar: 60
    zion: 153

It seems that Nebuchadnezzar was a far greater cause for concern than Satan, back in the day.
    Also that unicorns and dragons have suffered more than most other animals from habitat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

wasted words--wasted time-- wasted life -- ))

"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
    And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted - nevermore!"

dead one wrote: »

Ah, I wouldn't say that the bible is wasted words etc tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

What a fun game :)

Dragon : 18
    Ghost : 25
    Proof : 5

• Registered Users Posts: 24 New_Flash

Have you done "begat"? I seem to remember a lot of begetting (if that's the right word)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

New_Flash wrote: »
    Have you done "begat"? I seem to remember a lot of begetting (if that's the right word)

as in 'better begetting down with ma message yo!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

D'Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

'kneaded it': 2
    'baked it': 1
    'ate it': 1

What did they do with the other batch they did not bake and eat? Kneading is a lot of work, they must have done something with it.

I kind of predicted the high count of "fool" before I saw it. I was going to ask but someone checked it before I asked. It seems insulting people who doubt is a useful replacement for actually substantiating your claims in books such as these.

New_Flash wrote: »
    begat: 225
    begotten: 25
    beget: 10
    What did they do with the other batch they did not bake and eat? Kneading is a lot of work, they must have done something with it.

I kind of predicted the high count of "fool" before I saw it. I was going to ask but someone checked it before I asked. It seems insulting people who doubt is a useful replacement for actually substantiating your claims in books such as these.
    I think they may have kneaded the same d'oh twice, - knead, rest, knead, rest, bake?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    D'Oh.
    There is one thing common between you and Simpson -- He doesn't exist in real world -- Soon you will with all of your fantasies --
    begat: 225
    begotten: 25
    beget: 10
    Gordon what does "begotten" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,047 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's the past participle of the verb "to beget", which means to procreate, to conceive or give birth to children. So "begotten" means "procreated".

Whoa, way to make the evidence fit your preconceptions! Very few of the uses of "fool" in the Bible refer to people who doubt. When it appears in the bible, the word mostly refers to figures who do things which they know to be wrong or unwise.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's the past participle of the verb "to beget", which means to procreate, to conceive or give birth to children. So "begotten" means "procreated".

"Begotten, Not Made

"Jesus is the only begotten son of God, begotten not made," is an adjunct of the orthodox catechism, leaning for support on the following:
    2. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only BEGOTTEN son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    (John 3:16 - AV)

No priest worth his cloth would fail to quote "the only BEGOTTEN of the Father!" when preaching to a prospective convert. But this fabrication — "BEGOTTEN" — has now been unceremoniously excised by the Bible Revisers, without a word of excuse. They are as silent as church-mice and would not draw the reader's attention to their furtive excision. This blasphemous word "BEGOTTEN" was another of the many such interpolations in the "Holy Bible."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Whoa, way to make the evidence fit your preconceptions! Very few of the uses of "fool" in the Bible refer to people who doubt. When it appears in the bible, the word mostly refers to figures who do things which they know to be wrong or unwise.

I changed no evidence nor fit anything to preconceptions. I merely took something I know to be true.... which is that people with no evidence for a proposition often tend to insult the "mark" in order to cajole them into accepting the proposition.... and turned that observation into a prediction. The prediction turned out to be true.

More than that I did not do or say.

Now WHY that prediction turned out to be true, and whether it was just coincidence, or whether the reason it was true was, or was not, connected to the reasons I made the prediction.... is a different conversation and one you are perfectly welcome to have. I am perfectly aware that not all predictions turn out true because of the reasons the initial prediction was made.

That of course does not change the fact that phrases like "The fool hath said in their heart there is no god" are very interesting. The psychology behind such phrases are not only clear, but still used today in our advertising industries. Phrases like "Offer for limited time only.... you would be a fool to miss it" punctuate our advertising industry for good psychological reasons.

It seems that when selling a product one successful approach rather than espouse the virtues and uses of the product, is to somehow make the "mark" feel deficient for not buying into it. If you can successfully lodge in the head of the "mark" that they are somehow at fault for being without your product then there is little more that you have to do.

Religion has known this for a long time and approaches like calling people who do not buy into it "fools" is an example of it.

Those like myself who are interested in such things as the workings of human psychology can in fact find many parallels between things like advertising and even torture techniques, and the techniques religion uses to perpetuate itself. I have been constantly awestruck by the fact that almost by natural selection religion has hit on ways to manipulate the "mark" long before their equivalents have been discovered in advertising, torture or by human psychologists.

"Begotten, Not Made

"Jesus is the only begotten son of God, begotten not made," is an adjunct of the orthodox catechism, leaning for support on the following:
    2. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only BEGOTTEN son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    (John 3:16 - AV)

No priest worth his cloth would fail to quote "the only BEGOTTEN of the Father!" when preaching to a prospective convert. But this fabrication — "BEGOTTEN" — has now been unceremoniously excised by the Bible Revisers, without a word of excuse. They are as silent as church-mice and would not draw the reader's attention to their furtive excision. This blasphemous word "BEGOTTEN" was another of the many such interpolations in the "Holy Bible."
    Fabrications in the bible, WHAT?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Fabrications in the bible, WHAT?! :D

I thought it might be a fabrication but then I checked and it's in the bible so it is actually true. Phew! QED

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

so I downloaded the King James bible in html form

LOL :D
    I <3 Gordie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Is downloading a Bible stealing from God?

If not, is selling a Bible profiteering God's words?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I <3 Gordie.

O mystical one, can you interpret these unfathomable texts please?

Newaglish wrote: »
    I thought it might be a fabrication but then I checked and it's in the bible so it is actually true. Phew! QED
    Must be true then!
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    I <3 Gordie.
    recedite wrote: »
    O mystical one, can you interpret these unfathomable texts please?
    Hehe.
    gordie: 0
    gourd: 6
    gored: 2
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Is downloading a Bible stealing from God?

If not, is selling a Bible profiteering God's words?
    Exactly what I was thinking last week! I imagine the text is out of copyright by now, so I reckon we could make our own version "The King Jam's Bible" and shuffle about some words to make it a unique interpretation, and sell it online with some google adwords on christian websites. Add in some liberal references to jam also. Don't see why not!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Add in some liberal references to jam also.
    "Liberal" references?

That'll never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Exactly what I was thinking last week! I imagine the text is out of copyright by now, so I reckon we could make our own version "The King Jam's Bible" and shuffle about some words to make it a unique interpretation, and sell it online with some google adwords on christian websites. Add in some liberal references to jam also. Don't see why not!

I have toyed with writing a sequel but it's hard to tell whether you should continue to include crazy plot holes or actually tie them up. I actually have two very short (about a page or two) rough drafts for a first chapter. I should post them up sometime...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 New_Flash

Does it just relate to jam or are other types of preserves mentioned too? To my mind marmalade would seem to be holy, but lemon curd is probably an abomination. Apple jelly is almost certainly an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Pearls - 9

Swine - 19

Pearls - 9
    Pearls of wisdom ? or female captives taken as sex slaves?
    Swine - 19

Atheists? or Babylonians razing Hebrew cities?

The entire book needs updating.

• Advertisement

I changed no evidence nor fit anything to preconceptions. I merely took something I know to be true.... which is that people with no evidence for a proposition often tend to insult the "mark" in order to cajole them into accepting the proposition.... and turned that observation into a prediction. The prediction turned out to be true.
    More than that I did not do or say.
    You did, actually. Having informed us of your remarkable prescience, you then went on to draw the conclusion that "it seems insulting people who doubt is a useful replacement for actually substantiating your claims in books such as these". That statement makes no sense at all - and I would be the last to accuse you of writing nonsense - unless you assume that the word "fool" in the bible often or usually refers to doubters. In fact, it doesn't.
    Now WHY that prediction turned out to be true, and whether it was just coincidence, or whether the reason it was true was, or was not, connected to the reasons I made the prediction.... is a different conversation and one you are perfectly welcome to have. I am perfectly aware that not all predictions turn out true because of the reasons the initial prediction was made.
    We call this "coincidence", and as all good sceptics know we cannot validly draw causal conclusions from coincidences.
    That of course does not change the fact that phrases like "The fool hath said in their heart there is no god" are very interesting. The psychology behind such phrases are not only clear, but still used today in our advertising industries. Phrases like "Offer for limited time only.... you would be a fool to miss it" punctuate our advertising industry for good psychological reasons . . . Those like myself who are interested in such things as the workings of human psychology can in fact find many parallels between things like advertising and even torture techniques, and the techniques religion uses to perpetuate itself. I have been constantly awestruck by the fact that almost by natural selection religion has hit on ways to manipulate the "mark" long before their equivalents have been discovered in advertising, torture or by human psychologists.
    I'm puzzled as to why this should strike such awe into you. The culture which produced the scriptures was not as technologically advanced as ours, but there is no reason why this would prevent them from developing techniques of effective writing, for which the only required technology is papyrus, ink and a nib. Even today's militant atheists extensively employ the same technique or ridicule - homage, if you will, to the insights into the human mind which are reflected in scripture!

On a slighly more serious note, I think there's another misplaced assumption here. If you think about it, the Old Testament texts are mostly not addressed to non-Jews; non-Jewes aren't expected to read them, or even to be aware of their existence, much less to attach any signficance or authority to them. Furthermore, the authors are not trying to "sell" Judaism to the world; they had absolutely zero interest in attracting converts. So if the "fool" language is intended to influence anybody, it's the target audience, which is observant Jews. It's purpose is to confirm them in the rightness and wisdom and general good sense of their commitment to the Jewish way of life.

(In much the way, come to think of it, that the caricaturing and ridiculing of religion which abounds in discussion groups populated largely by atheists or agnostics serves mainly to comfort and confirm them in their beliefs.)

Advertisement