Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Edz87 wrote: »
    I really hope Bachmann wins the primary, it would be hilarious to see her being destroyed by Obama in debates.

I don't think it would be. Obama stands a very good chance of loosing his re-election regardless of who the Republican candidate will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Malty_T wrote: »
    I don't think it would be. Obama stands a very good chance of loosing his re-election regardless of who the Republican candidate will be.

Exactly, at this point the Demo's better hope the Republicans can come up with the biggest fruit bar they have...it's about the only chance Obama has right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth a read for a general comment on the state of the parties, from a disillusioned former GOP staffer.

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-cult/1314907779

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Galvasean wrote: »
    ...but the idea that someone like her would be one option of two for the role of the most powerful person on the planet.... Scary stuff.
    Funny, I was thinking the very same thing about another round of Jesus H. Obama the other day...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

For starters you'd have a US president who believes the end of the world is imminent. That can never be good for long term policies.
    She is also very anti-science (particularly in relation to things like evolution) which cannot be good for education standards or scientific research.
    She also wants to see minimum wage abolished.
    She is extremely homophobic.
    Based on her frequent gaffs and misrepresentations of reality she seems to be either stupid or living in a complete fantasy bubble, or possibly both.

Do I need to go on?

This I find scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Didn't George W have a lot to do with withholding funding from stem cell research? And also promoting abstenance programes in schools too? If George managed these feats then I can assume another social conservative could give America more of the same.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

You're absolutely right but at the same time the average voter expects a lot from a president, such as creating jobs.

Did Bachmann do her promise for cheap gas again? So much for gubberent staying out of private industry.
    It might be a bit early to take Perrys surge seriously aswell, at one stage in the game at the last election McCain was way down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If only Ron Paul could get the nomination, I could sleep through the results next November and not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

From Twitter:
    When you go from Eisenhower to Nixon to Regan to W to Palin to Bachmann to Perry, it must be difficult to believe in evolution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Out of curiosity?

As I stated she's hardly going to be too interested in a long term financial plan (which America needs) if she thinks the world won't exist in two years time.

The fact that her belief on evolution (or lack thereof) is apparently on a par with the majority of Americans is what is very concerning to me. Basically a president reflects the Zeitgeist of the people and when the president is hostile toward scientific inquiry it means the people are too. Scientific progress is very important but it seems many would rather avoid it altogether.
    Someone brought up the point of George W. Bush's opposition to stem cell research, something which could help a lot of people. Bachmann would certainly oppose it just as aggressively, if not more so.

The president does have plenty of sway. Sure (s)he cannot just one day decide to bring the minimum wage down to a dollar, however the fact that she's even suggesting such a thing, in my mind at least, represents that she is living in Kaka-Coocoo Land.

Make it as hard as possible for them to achieve the rights they deserve, marriage etc.

Interestingly, the survival of the human race is not how we measure the success of the US president.

Basically (I've said this earlier, so I suppose it's a bit of a recap) a president with such views being elected represents that a large proportion (indeed a majority) of the population agree with those views and would like to see their state run by someone with said views. This to me is cause for great concern to the point where I would be very fearful for the direction the United States is going in.
    I hope that clarifies my opinion on the matter.

edit: I will ad that my use of the word 'terrifying' has been somewhat tabloidesque. However I do find the idea of someone like Michelle Bachmann being the supposed leader of the free world a scary notion.

Tell that to the 3000 people who died in the September 11th attacks, or to the tens of thousands of US, Afghani and Iraqi casualties in the absurd "war on terror".

• Advertisement

When did I say 2012? As far as I'm aware Biblical End timers don't give a toss about the Mayan calendar. Or does the year 2012 have any special relevance to them (honest question)?

Hey, I'm not saying a president shouldn't believe in God or a divine creator or whatever. I do however think that they should not take anti-science stances and oppose useful scientific inquiry with such zeal as is the case with Bachmann.

Were 6 day Creationists at the forefront of this research? I am very much of the opinion that much more in terms of science would have been achieved by now without Creationist /anti stem cell research political lobbying doing it's best to throw a spanner in the works.

You have my interest. Do you have any sources/literature for me to look up? It still sounds very daft to me, but I'm willing to read up on it for the sake of discussion.

That has little or no bearing on choosing today's presidential hopefuls. I could say Abe Lincoln was a member of the Republican party and abolished slavery, ergo we should all support today's Republican candidate.

I want the big cheese to have similar views to me? Shocker! I'm sure we would be hard pressed to find many people who would like to see a US president with drastically different views to their own.

I find a majority of people in America in the 21st Century believing the world was made in 6 days very concerning, not people simply believing in a God or higher power creating the universe. Big difference. Of course, I think you knew that and are just trying to muddy the waters to undermine my opinion.

I thank you for the links you provided. I don't have the time to read them properly today. I will most likely be back tomorrow evening to discuss them further.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but are you drawing comparisons between the US entering WW1, WW2 and Vietnam with the US entering Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Cognitive dissonance and/or intellectual dishonesty is not a very quality to have in a president.

The way you put it, makes its seem like the American president is as powerless as the Irish one.

Point number one would be a major hindrance to anyone wanting to do stem cell research, no?:
    "The derivation process (which begins with the destruction of the embryo) was initiated prior to 9:00 P.M. EDT on August 9, 2001."

Oh thats nice. Stem cell research in America is retarded by Bush's bill, but American scientists can still read about everything everyone else is doing.

This just says that 46.8 % of economists want to abolish the minimum wage, nothing about why, which I assume is what Galvasean wanted to know. (Incidentally, it also says that 37.7 want to increase it).

It's pretty common knowledge that there was quite a bit of evidence prior to the September 11th attacks that Al Quaeda was going to attack the US. Bush himself wasn't directly responsible, of course, but it was his administration that oversaw the various failures of intelligence that allowed the attacks to happen.

I agree with you that neither party in the US has a good record when it comes to war, but why on earth would that excuse Bush? I don't want to get into a game of "my guy is better than your guy" with you, since it would be totally pointless and disingenuous, and in general I consider the democratic party in the US to be not even the lesser, but the frailer of two evils.

Incidentally, I don't think many of the above wars you mentioned are good counter-examples in any case, since the US interventions in the two World Wars were arguably justified in bringing both those wars to an end, and the Cuban Missile Crisis was hardly unprovoked.

• Advertisement

Advertisement