Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contradictions in The Bible

• 01-12-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

The pic is HUGE, so here's a link to it instead.

Thought it was worth a thread of it's own, incase people wanna dispute some, or clarify others. It's quite a lot, but what is surprising so far is the amount that are in the same book! Genesis contradicts itself, according to this, on 'what became of Cain'. There's quite a few more there to be found, which I think is the most interesting part!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm.

Meh - let rip. First mention of "exegesis" and I quit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I think it's just great to have this hilarious picture contrasted with
    the unity contained in this picture. That said, what's the harm in
    adding another take on this theme:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Not so much a contradiction but a thought, in the old testament Noah and wife saved the animals etc.

gonorrhea, syphilis, etc all needed to be saved too? However, they need a host...

Dedication Noah:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

mehfesto wrote: »
    The pic is HUGE, so here's a link to it instead.

Thought it was worth a thread of it's own, incase people wanna dispute some, or clarify others. It's quite a lot, but what is surprising so far is the amount that are in the same book! Genesis contradicts itself, according to this, on 'what became of Cain'. There's quite a few more there to be found, which I think is the most interesting part!

Contradictions can be found anywhere that words have been taken out of context and misapplied. The Bible is the inspired word of God (1 Tim 3:16) and when you explore it genuinely, properly and thoroughly, there are no contradictions at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

redroisin wrote: »
    Contradictions can be found anywhere that words have been taken out of context and misapplied. The Bible is the inspired word of God (1 Tim 3:16) and when you explore it genuinely, properly and thoroughly, there are no contradictions at all.

Mod: Already warned once for resurrecting old threads. Carded for spamming this time and links removed. Next spam post will result in a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I do find it funny that people still think it sensible to advance the "the bible is true, it says so in the bible" argument :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I do find it funny that people still think it sensible to advance the "the bible is true, it says so in the bible" argument :)

I find it funny that an avowed atheist would find himself so frequently in the company of one of very very few people left in the world who would use the expression “it says so in the Bible” in order to prove a point.
    Where on earth do you find these people and why are you looking for them ? I’m a practising Catholic and it must be 40 years since I heard anyone use that expression in that way.
    It’s part of a line in a popular American hymn “Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so” but apart from that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Odhinn

splinter65 wrote: »
    I find it funny that an avowed atheist would find himself so frequently in the company of one of very very few people left in the world who would use the expression “it says so in the Bible” in order to prove a point.
    Where on earth do you find these people and why are you looking for them ? I’m a practising Catholic and it must be 40 years since I heard anyone use that expression in that way.
    It’s part of a line in a popular American hymn “Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so” but apart from that.....

There are more religions out there than just roman catholicism, and many do indeed refer to the bible as literal truth.

I encounter posters quoting extracts from the bible to support a line of argument that doesn't directly relate to a theological position on a regular basis. To be fair biblical literalism tends to be far more common among evangelical protestants than Catholics in my experience. That said, any argument from dogma is likely to amount to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

smacl wrote: »
    I encounter posters quoting extracts from the bible to support a line of argument that doesn't directly relate to a theological position on a regular basis. To be fair biblical literalism tends to be far more common among evangelical protestants than Catholics in my experience. That said, any argument from dogma is likely to amount to the same thing.

That’s true. It’s just not a catholic thing. It’s hard to find an evangelical Protestant around these parts, hence my puzzlement in how that poster appears to encounter so many of them, particularly as he’s an atheist and wouldn’t be mixing in those circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That’s true. It’s just not a catholic thing. It’s hard to find an evangelical Protestant around these parts, hence my puzzlement in how that poster appears to encounter so many of them, particularly as he’s an atheist and wouldn’t be mixing in those circles.

...where did he claim to encounter "... many of them"?

I've no personal acquaintance with hindus, so am i not allowed express an opinion on that faith and its practices?

Have a browse of the Christianity forum so. Evangelical Christianity is very well represented with a significant focus on biblical quotes. The creationism thread here featured a fair bit of this as well as have a number of other threads. Broad church and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Where on earth do you find these people and why are you looking for them ?

I don't look for them. They pop into this very forum from time to time, have a look a couple of posts above my previous post.

Life ain't always empty.

Mod: Already warned once for resurrecting old threads. Carded for spamming this time and links removed. Next spam post will result in a ban.

Sorry about the link, won't happen again. So I don't make the same mistake again regarding ressurecting old threads, can you tell me what the age limit is for commenting on older threads?

redroisin wrote: »
    Sorry about the link, won't happen again. So I don't make the same mistake again regarding ressurecting old threads, can you tell me what the age limit is for commenting on older threads?

Mod: There isn't hard and fast limit but if the thread is more than a year old, you're better off starting a new thread. Where you're comment is very general, doesn't add much to the conversation and promotes something via an external link, I'd consider it spam and deal with it accordingly.

Also worth noting that in this corner of boards if you make an assertion, you should be prepared to defend it with reasoned argument where saying that it is true because it is stated as such in a given verse of the bible is not considered reasoned argument. Repeating the same assertion without providing reasonable argument when challenged is considered soap boxing and will also get a slap on the wrists from the mods.

Apologies if this all sounds a bit daunting, the idea is to promote discussion and not allow anyone use the forum as a pulpit. We welcome discussion from everyone regardless of beliefs once they're happy with how things work here.

Mod: There isn't hard and fast limit but if the thread is more than a year old, you're better off starting a new thread. Where you're comment is very general, doesn't add much to the conversation and promotes something via an external link, I'd consider it spam and deal with it accordingly.

Also worth noting that in this corner of boards if you make an assertion, you should be prepared to defend it with reasoned argument where saying that it is true because it is stated as such in a given verse of the bible is not considered reasoned argument. Repeating the same assertion without providing reasonable argument when challenged is considered soap boxing and will also get a slap on the wrists from the mods.

Apologies if this all sounds a bit daunting, the idea is to promote discussion and not allow anyone use the forum as a pulpit. We welcome discussion from everyone regardless of beliefs once they're happy with how things work here.

Thanks for clarifying, I know the post is 12yrs old but I felt the chart and claims were timeless... I will apply what you have said and address some of the so called contradictions listed on the chart in the correct manner.

Advertisement