Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Matthew 6:25-34 Don't be anxious

Options
  • 06-07-2020 8:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

We're continuing on the series in Matthew, the first in the series is here, and the last in the series is here.

Here's today's passage:
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
    34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Jesus continues on from the previous passage. We are told that we can't serve God and money. We see that our passage begins with the word Therefore. The question that is in the back of our minds is if I can't serve God and money, how can I live? I need money every day. Jesus tells us not to be anxious about food, or drink or clothes (verse 25). These are the things we need that we can buy with money in human terms.

Jesus gives us two examples to challenge our thinking:
    The birds of the air:
    They are fed without storing vast amounts of good in barns. God feeds them. We are more valuable than they are.
    The lilies of the field:
    They grow without strain. They look beautiful, even more beautiful than the richest king of Israel Solomon. If we prioritise our relationship with our Father, He will provide us with what we need day by day. Our control is limited. We don't need to overburden ourselves with the future. One day at a time is enough.

Father, please help us to live one day at a time. Please help us to trust you first for what we need. Please forgive us when we are tempted to be anxious about many things. Please help us to know that you love us and you care for us. Help us to prioritise our relationship with you.

Advertisement