Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

China on lockdown

• 10-02-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

bit surprised there isn't already a thread about it, but I really wonder what will the consequences/scenarios be for the world economy/different countries whether China will break down economy wise due to the corona virus tragedy.
    I personally have no real clue, I imagine a really bad world wide recession but some countries could also benefit from it..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think China will bring it under control by severe quarantines etc. It may come under control there in the next few months so no great effect overall. I woudl be more worried about other Asian countries that may not respond as strongly to the threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

This tread didn't take off but the world economy is sure to be rocked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Little precedent probably a reason so nobody knows what's going to happen. anybody found any interesting analysis or research please post. The media is a mess cant make any sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

saabsaab wrote: »
    This tread didn't take off but the world economy is sure to be rocked now.

yes, this forum seems unpopular anyway. a pity I think, people doesn't care obviously but it will hit almost everybody. If things with the virus don't improve in summertime I see a bigger recession worldwide than 2008.
    I have a friend living in Beijing (Beijing, not Wuhan!) and she gives updates on the situation. Everything is still closed in Beijing also, she's doing homeoffice. She can go out ofr shopping, for a walk but districts are sealed off within each other, means there are guards on the entrances of the streets and she has to show a card to get into her district. no person who doesn't live in this district will be let in.
    Streets and subways are mostly empty of people, birds and other animals reclaiming territory:)

shops are still closed, shopowners already going bankcrupt, money is getting tight with those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

It does seem like markets are massively underestimating the impact of this virus on the world economy. They were very overpriced going into this and the likes of the Nasdaq and s&p are only down around 8 percent so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement