Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forum Charter : READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - Updated 10/11/2017

• 02-10-2017 3:53pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

By Posting here you have read and agreed to follow the basic Boards.ie rules which you can find HERE

In addition: as this is a sub-forum of the Investments and Markets forum you should also be aware that the parent forum charter also applies. You can read the parent forum charter HERE

In general:

Dont be a dick
    Be patient with users that may not be as familiar with the subject matter as you
    Report activity that you see as requiring moderator review, do not attempt to rectify it yourself
    Keep your discussions on topic and please link to sources
    Quote/Cite , dont copy/paste en masse
    Enjoy!
    Dont be a dick.
    No NSFW material
    No illegal material
    following any advice given on this forum is the choice of the reader. Boards.ie does not endorse or in any way authorise any product, service or protocol
    lending criteria subject to approval. terms and conditions apply.
    Referral links are allowed IF AND ONLY IF you also provide a link, with equal or greater prominence, to the same site without the referral and that these links are part of an informative, useful post. Not Spam. Not advertising and not farming/harvesting. Users can choose to thank you for the information by using the referral if they want. All referral links MUST be clearly labelled as such and must state that you, the poster, stand to gain from their use.
    There will be a single Referral thread. ALL links in this thread may be assumed to be referral links and are exempt from the previous rule.

If you decide to ignore the above or behave in a way that is deemed detrimental to the other users of the forum you will have your access revoked and we can discuss your re-entry to the forum in the Dispute Resolution forum

A yellow card means please dont do this again

A red card means: we mean it. stop right now.

there is no card after red.

The moderators decision on any issue to do with rules is final on thread but may be questioned or queried by PM or in the DRP if applicable.

Any post by a moderator that is not a moderator instruction should be taken as the opinion of a poster like any other and is open to discussion and disagreement the same as any other user of the forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I would add specific warning about not posting details of holdings. Specifically with respect to the volatile nature of crypto, a seemingly insignificant holding could grow into something large and attract the attention of hackers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I would consider a posters' holdings to be private information that they control. like a home address or an email address. If you post it and it gets abused then its your own fault, if someone else posts it then its invasion of privacy and its a legal issue.

Apart from legality I don't think this forum should have a say over what you choose to discuss. Post your own holdings if you want but be aware of the risk involved in doing so. I'm not going to start handing out cards to users that do it. I would hope anyone seeing similar would advise users to take it down or edit their post. While mods will protect users of a forum and we will endeavour to do so even when it is protecting a user from themselves, it is not a mods responsibility to protect users from their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

LoLth wrote: »
    I would consider a posters' holdings to be private information that they control. like a home address or an email address. If you post it and it gets abused then its your own fault, if someone else posts it then its invasion of privacy and its a legal issue.

Apart from legality I don't think this forum should have a say over what you choose to discuss. Post your own holdings if you want but be aware of the risk involved in doing so. I'm not going to start handing out cards to users that do it. I would hope anyone seeing similar would advise users to take it down or edit their post. While mods will protect users of a forum and we will endeavour to do so even when it is protecting a user from themselves, it is not a mods responsibility to protect users from their own actions.

Fully agree. I mean't warning about the dangers of doing so and the recommendation against, rather than the prohibition.

removed some posts not relevant to the charter.

Updated the charter to handle Referral links.

Updated to allow for a single referral link thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This was a nice thread until a certain few started to post here.

I’m unsubscribing from the Crypto forum as it’s just too dramatic for what it should be.

Reading posts such as the above, IMHO it would improve this forum to limit all crypto-criticism to a single mega-thread? While I appreciate the 'how to deal with posters' thread it would seem a shame to lose informative and useful contribution from experienced posters who are feeling hounded out of it by the drive-by naysayers who only show up in the midst of a sharp downturn. This would remove the capability of this type of commentary of drowning out everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

smacl wrote: »
    Reading posts such as the above, IMHO it would improve this forum to limit all crypto-criticism to a single mega-thread? While I appreciate the 'how to deal with posters' thread it would seem a shame to lose informative and useful contribution from experienced posters who are feeling hounded out of it by the drive-by naysayers who only show up in the midst of a sharp downturn. This would remove the capability of this type of commentary of drowning out everything else.
    Or to achieve the same end, a well-moderated thread with strict rules of good manners and respect for fellow posters where those who do not buy into the crypto-nirvana espoused by a minority of posters can post without being abused and hounded out by said zealots?

I'd suggest genuine posters interested in an exchange of ideas would be interested in such a thread, while the drive-bys and zealots would soon be shown the door.

Anthracite wrote: »
    Or to achieve the same end, a well-moderated thread with strict rules of good manners and respect for fellow posters where those who do not buy into the crypto-nirvana espoused by a minority of posters can post without being abused and hounded out by said zealots?

I'd suggest genuine posters interested in an exchange of ideas would be interested in such a thread, while the drive-bys and zealots would soon be shown the door.

Fair enough, but it seems rather obvious that the bulk of the posts that are critical of crypto tend to arrive at the depth of a downturn, which does come across in the main as finger wagging, gloating, 'i told you so' rather than anything constructive. There's plenty of value in well structured criticism and advising caution when speculating with money, but it is difficult to take seriously after the event of a major downturn.

I can appreciate the thought behind the suggestion but essentially this boils down to

Lets lock down discussion of cryptocurrency to a single thread for those that dont agree and the rest of the forum for those that like it.

Thats not a discussion forum, thats a fansite/newsgroup. (some of the arguments against cryptocurrencies have been quite good and anchored in actual reaosn other than just sour grapes from those that missed the boat. Those involved in crypto, or considering getting involved, would be well served to pay attention to the counterpoints even if you dont agree with them.)

The reasoning for this is because negative posts that come during a downturn are seen as fingerwagging/I told you so:

fine. if that's what it is, ignore the poster and/or report them for being a dick. if they do it repeatedly they will be banned (there's already one or two heading straight for that line).

I've been reading all of the reported posts so far and honestly, very few, apart from the shills, have been actionable because either the troll was responded to already (often by the reporter themselves) or the transgression is so minor that it can only be considered rude/insensitive by extremely sensitive readers. Posters are supposed to be 18+ on boards. a modicum of self constraint plus enough world experience to know when to just walk away or ignore an imagined slight is pretty much a necessity for any social setting.

With an influx of newbie sceptics, can I suggest we have a FAQ / links thread and a rule in the charter asking new posters to read it before posting. This could include links to differences between crypto and ponzi schemes, real world usages of crypto and blockchain, energy wastage in PoW etc... The thinking here is it would illustrate to new posters that these issues are well understood by regulars, remove a lot of noise by the same questions getting asked ad nauseum, and discourage the endless childish bickering style of conversation more suited to AH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement