Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The DOs and DONTs of investing in Cryptocurrency

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Slightly off topic, but if your using your mobile phone to capture photos of your passport and utility bills for verification purposes, remember to delete them afterwards. Phones are easily lost or stolen and leaving this type of info on them leaves you overexposed to identity theft. Probably obvious to most, but I certainly wouldn't have any private keys stored anywhere on my mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Great piece on Tokens (must have knowledge)

https://news.earn.com/thoughts-on-tokens-436109aabcbe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sorry for the N00b question but near the start of this thread someone said do not leave coins on exchanges which is what I have been doing. Where do I store them so?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Sorry for the N00b question but near the start of this thread someone said do not leave coins on exchanges which is what I have been doing. Where do I store them so?

In a hardware wallet.
    Either on your PC (backed up!!)
    Or a USB hardware wallet
    Or a secure USB stick
    Or a paper wallet.

Google any of the above. Different coins use different wallets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 CryptoNewbie

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Don't put in more than you can afford to conceivably lose

Don't leave coins on exchanges

Don't move very large amounts in one go

Do make a plan before you buy and stick to it (rational buying over impulsive buying)

Do research the coin you will buy

Do print out and save records of your purchases (if you are going to pay tax on it down the line)

Don't leave coins on exchanges? Can you expand on that?

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    A thread for users to post their advice / observations.

How should a newcomer to the topic choose a cryptocurrency to invest in?

How would an investor even start a risk assessment?

What hardware should a miner look at sourcing to start?

Prebuilt or custom/self build?

etc

Please post your opinions here to help the community. those wishing to discuss a particular aspect should create a new thread and post a link to it from here (this way the advice stays in one place and easy to read while the side discussions can take place freely without any restrictions of staying on the topic of basic/beginner information)

Still getting used to how this platform works, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. My 2 cents worth is:
    1. Invest only what you can afford to lose. This too is the advice of Vitalic Buterin (Ethereum developer), who recently tweeted this: "Reminder: cryptocurrencies are still a new and hyper-volatile asset class, and could drop to near-zero at any time. Don't put in more money than you can afford to lose. If you're trying to figure out where to store your life savings, traditional assets are still your safest bet." Buterin has been criticised for this tweet, that he's trying to causing panic but sentiment is causing many people to throw caution to the wind and in my opinion, that could have disastrous financial consequences.
    2. Only buy in a dip.
    3. There are as many scams trying to catch you out and steal from you, than there are decent people discussing coins. Second and third guess yourself before handing over your hard earned money anywhere.

Helpful! Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As with any activity on modern computers, be very careful what you download and install. For example, just because something advertises itself as a free wallet like spritecoin, doesn't mean it isn't altogether nastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

DO take profits

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MarkLotek

Any information should be checked, so as not to lose your money because of your own credibility.

Post edited by MarkLotek on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13 punch bob

Has anyone here sent their crypto gains about 5-6 digits to their bank account?

How did you prepare it with regards to the bank? Did you have to hire an accountant re tax implications?

Send the cash or crypto to me first and I'll check it out for you.

All serious I think it's up to you to file the tax and if you don't the bank may look into why you had a large figure moved in account from a crypto exchange and may rat you out and you will be in worse trouble then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

It cost me .0005 BTC to move .0091 BTC from binance to trezor Model 1.

So about $30 to move $600.

Are those fees normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

That sounds way too high. Should cost you no more than $5 BTC network fees currently. Does it tell you what portion of that is Binance or Trezor fees?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Yep agreed. Best thing to do would be file the tax and simply be honest here. I would contact my bank prior to transferring large amounts in 5-6 figure range, let them know what you intend to do. Banks are required by law to report large transactions (I think over €20000) as per anti fraud/corruption legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

Don't trade your BTC

FIAT->BTC👍️

BTC->ALT 👎️

ALT->BTC👍️

BTC->FIAT 👍️

ALT->FIAT👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Fees vary wildly depending on the coin. I have transferred a lot of Tron coins to my ledger wallet from Binance for cents but the ETH fees mean that it’s not economical to move those coins at present. I only have a couple of hundred Euro and the fees were mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MarkLotek

I have not yet withdrawn this amount of bitcoins, but I plan to. Did you hire an accountant after all?

Post edited by MarkLotek on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 melven100

Never ever reveal your backup phrases. It seems that people shares that and losses a lot lately. Don't fall for such scams when you receive an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coinsrider

That was fun reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jessie_520

thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coinsrider

would there be more such posts thoughts to share will be intretsed to read.

Best ask the questions and I'm sure someone will know the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It depends on the license and what it’s for. For example to launch an app on a chain you can need a valid license or stake in that chain but again it depends on the chain and how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gretypots

How should a newcomer to the topic choose a cryptocurrency to invest in?

I personally have started investing in BTC first, it's a classic. Then I moved to alts, but very very attentively. First, buying something more known like SOL, Tether etc. And now that I have quite a good portfolio, I've decided to move to research new coins on the market. For example, the recent once has been WEI from WEIcrypto, I'm looking into them right now.

What I would definitely recommend is DOING YOUR RESEARCH. Please, join telegram chats and discords of the coins that interest you AND ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!!!! If the team is helpful, then it's a great start, but ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU CAN 🙏 Not all altcoins are scam, you just need to research them thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kriptopoulin

Thanks for the information; it's really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yammyhammy

I think it is good to invest in to cryptocurrency E.g. BTC. For example you can buy The Greedy Machines from GMT Token project and receive BTC as a daily rewards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Advertisement