Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

• 02-01-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

Let's pray for a better year, and a year of beating more games.

Happy New Year Boardsies.

Beat a game?
    Get all the achievements?
    Whether you did every single little thing in a game, or you just rolled credits after a story; throw it in this thread. Compile a list if you want.

Here's my final list for the end of 2020.
    Games Beaten in 2020
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER|XBOX ONE
    2|MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    3|UNTITLED GOOSE GAME|XBOX ONE
    4|FLOWER|PS4
    6|CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT|PS4
    7|NBA STREET|PS2
    8|FINAL FANTASY VII: REMAKE|PS4
    9|STREETS OF RAGE 4|PS4
    10|ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS|NINTENDO SWITCH
    11|THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED|PS4
    12|THE LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND (DLC)|PS4
    13|POWER RANGERS: THE MOVIE|SEGA MEGA DRIVE
    14|FINAL FIGHT|NINTENDO SWITCH
    15|THE LAST OF US PART II|PS4
    16|GHOST OF TSUSHIMA|PS4
    17|UNCHARTED: THE LOST LEGACY|PS4
    18|SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER|PS4
    19|TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1+2|PS4
    20|MAFIA: DEFINITIVE EDITION|XBOX ONE
    21|GRAND THEFT AUTO III|PC
    22|GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY|PC
    23|DRIVER 2 (RE)|PC
    24|AMERICAN MCGEE'S ALICE|XBOX 360
    25|DEF JAM: VENDETTA|PS2
    26|DEF JAM: FIGHT FOR NY|PS2
    27|AIR COMBAT|PS1
    28|ACE COMBAT 2|PS1
    29|ACE COMBAT 04: SHATTERED SKIES|PS2
    30|ACE COMBAT 5: SQUADRON LEADER/UNSUNG WAR|PS4
    31|ACE COMBAT: THE BELKAN WAR|PS2
    32|ACE COMBAT 6: FIRES OF LIBERATION|XBOX 360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Just finished Cyberpunk a few days before new years so I have gone back to the Masterchief collection and have finished Halo: Reach and am now playing Halo 2 as I had played the first one back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)

Dragged on towards the end I felt and the stealth sections were a bit crappy. Thankfully they were pretty short when they did pop up. Overall though it was an enjoyable game. One of the few games where I didn't take advantage of fast travel because traversing around the game world felt good.

On to Bugsnax now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lots of ace combat there gamer bhoy. That's what I like to see.

Was hoping to finish one or two during Christmas but didn't happen. I beat megaman x2 but got the bad ending so going to plough through that now. And sekiro's combat has clicked with me and I'm ploughing through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lots of ace combat there gamer bhoy. That's what I like to see.

Was hoping to finish one or two during Christmas but didn't happen. I beat megaman x2 but got the bad ending so going to plough through that now. And sekiro's combat has clicked with me and I'm ploughing through that.

I'm getting burnt out at this stage lol

Been taking my time on Ace Combat 7 for the past couple of weeks. Really good but it's definitely the most challeging for me so far. The mission where you have to blow up trucks in a sandstorm drove me bonkers. Thank god for checkpoints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First game of the year: Rainy Season. Rather delightful little short experience that you'll polish off in less than an hour. You're a young kid in Japan stuck inside his house on a rainy day with his family. And er... that's it! You explore the house, discover little bits of background detail, eat, chat with your family, and pass the day daydreaming (via a half dozen cute little vignettes). Most games draw inspiration from action films - this one is a piece of observational, slice-of-life storytelling more in line with Ozu or Kore-eda films. Exceedingly pleasant, and along with the likes of Wide Ocean, Big Jacket and A Short Hike a fine example of these focused little micro games. Neat visuals, great music and low-key, relaxed vibes. Looking forward to the developer's bigger Inaka Project, which he's been working on for a while.

• Advertisement

GAME Resident Evil 3
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

Would've been Ace Combat 7 if not for my fiancée begging me to buy RE3 and play through it (she loves watching me play horror games). Since it was very affordable thanks to the PSN's January Sale, I thought why not. She loved watching me play RE2 last year, and I honestly wanted a theme change from playing almost nothing but Ace Combat for the last few weeks.

RE 3 was just as good as the RE2 remake in my books, though I failed to see what they did differently from a gameplay perspective. I know there's ammo crafting in 3, but I can't remember if this was also in RE2. There were moments where the game felt like a proper horror game (
    revisiting the police station
    ) but other than that, honestly it didn't scare me that much. I suppose if you've played RE since the beginning, it tends to become predictable 25 years later (
    I always shoot zombies that are lying on the ground before I encounter them
    )

Had a lot of fun playing it despite its short length, but these games were always made to be played numerous times. I recommend it.

She's asked me to play RE4 now. I love RE4, it's one of my favourites, but the controls have not aged very well. I'll defend it to the high heavens but I played an hour of it this evening and.... ooft....I'd say if I played RE4 first, I'd be fine, but I've just came off of the perfection of RE3's controls, and it's very jarring.

I won't say no to a remake; I'll say that much.

Games Beaten in 2021
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

D'you have the Wii version of Resi 4? I only ask cause I played the Wii version for the first time a couple months back and found the controls pretty smooth.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    D'you have the Wii version of Resi 4? I only ask cause I played the Wii version for the first time a couple months back and found the controls pretty smooth.

I have heard of the Wii version of RE4 feeling very nice to play thanks to the motion controls. I have a Wii but I don't have RE4. I might consider a purchase in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I picked it up for 5 beans from CeX online, if you're looking. Bargain of the year to go along with game of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tally from 2020:

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC|Panzer Dragoon|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC|Ys: The Oath in Felghana|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3|Sonic the Hedgehog|Master System
    D|PC|Sonic the Hedgehog 2|Master System
    Dragon's Lair|PC|Jumping Flash!|PS1
    Return of Egypt|PC|Dynamite Headdy|Megadrive
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC|Suzuki Bakuhatsu|PS1
    Florence|PC|Desert Strike|Megadrive
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2|Jungle Strike|Megadrive
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4|Urban Strike|Megadrive
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3|Halo Reach|PC
    Black Mesa|PC|King's Field (Japan)|PS1
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES|Ecco the Dolphin|Mega CD
    Rusty's Real Deal Baseball |3DS|Half-Life: Alyx|PC
    Donkey Kong Country 2 (102%) |SNES|Megaman 6|NES
    Picross: Lord of the Nazarick |Switch|Picross S2|Switch
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC|Shinobi|Arcade
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2|PC|Dragon Quest 2|Switch
    Megaman V|NES|Command & Conquer|PC|
    Halo 2|PC|Megaman X|SNES|
    Sonic Adventure 2|PC|
    Mini Metro|Android|
    Halo 3|PC|
    Vermintide 2|PC|
    Bangai-O Missile Fury|XBox 360|
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village HD|Android|
    Final Fantasy XIII-2|PC|
    The Last of Us Part 2|PS4|
    Ace Combat 7|PC|
    The Room|Android|
    Halo Combat Evolved - MCC|PC|
    Deus Ex|PC|

What can I say, been a great year for games and beat a ****load.

And to follow The Phantom Pain:

Game of the Year: Ys Oath in Felghana

Just an absolutely incredible action RPG and the best I've ever player. I just had an absolute blast with this from start to finish. Full of old school charm and excellent design all round.

Runner Up: Bangai-O Missile Fury

Way too complicated for its own good and absolutely ball busting difficulty. However once it clicked and started making sense it was an absolute blast despite the hours of frustration. There really is nothing else like this game and it's a shame there aren't more games like it which just take a totally new direction and are like nothing else out there.

Pleasant Surprise: King's Field (Japan)

I played this as more of a history lesson. The first RPG on the PS1 and From Software's first game. It looked like **** and was clunky as hell. It was laughable. And then it clicked. The combat had nuance that revealed itself over time and the level design echoed the future Soulsborne games. I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

Biggest Disappointment: Last of Us Part 2

I've said enough about this game. Its far from wretched. The core stealth gameplay is a lot of fun. However the game is over long and ends up taking ages to saying absolutely nothing and instead ends up a tale about how revenge is bad which is as subtle as being hit with a sledgehammer made out of DVDs of Hostel and its sequels.

Straight up Bad: Sonic Adventure 2

People joke about Sonic 06 but Sonic Adventure and particularly the sequel are just as bad and buggy. Sonic Adventure 2 is complete garbage with a game engine that approximates actual physics, awful level design and the god awful robotnik and knuckles levels being a break from the still but not quite as awful Sonic/Shadow levels. Rushed garbage.

• Advertisement

First Blood of 2021:

Mega Man X2|SNES||

Mega Man X2

This one loses the interactions between stages from the first game but makes up for it with far more interesting weapons. Actually think the level design and boss design is better than X and I think I ended up enjoying this game a lot more.

Top Class SNES action platformer at its finest, just like the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

My Final tally from 2020 below

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Control DLC:The foundation |PS4
    Control DLC:AWE |PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4
    Katana Zero | Switch
    Doom Eternal | PS4
    Return of the Obra dinn | Switch
    FF7 Remake | PS4
    What remains of Edith finch | PS4
    Far Cry 5 | PS4
    The Last of us Part 2 | PS4
    The outer Wilds | PS4
    Final fantasy Tactics War of the lions | PSP
    Yakuza Kiwami | PS4
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin | DS
    Ghost of Tsushima | PS4
    Hades | Switch
    Greedfall | PS4
    Nier:Automata | PS4
    Observation | PS4
    THPS1+2 | PS4
    Moonlighter | Switch
    Demon souls Remake | PS5
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the night | Switch

Managed to get one game completed in the last few days

Streets of rage 4

Great game ,never fully finished SOR 1-3 but played them when I was younger on a friends megadrive,

Really enjoyed this game and loved the art style found it a bit short but is probably meant to be replayed to death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My first completed game of 2021 is Resident Evil 3 and I loved it. It's definitely more an action based game than survival horror and it's shorter than RE2 with only one character to play as. However the gameplay is excellent, the story is good and the game mechanics themselves are extremely tight. I never played the original RE3 but I'm delighted to be working my way through the RE games. I'm moving onto RE4 next.

#|Game|Platform
    1|Resident Evil 3| PlayStation 4|

GAME Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

Pretty much stuck to this game from the moment I got up this morning. This one took me the longest because I sort of procrastinated on it for about a week, playing one mission at a time until today.

It's definitely the most challenging Ace game I've ever played. I can't count how many times I failed/restarted a mission. Either it's the most challenging, or I was burnt out on the games as a whole - maybe it's both.

I still have to go back and retry Ace Combat 3 but honestly I don't think that'll be for a good while. Aside from stopping to play through RE3 (which only took 6 hours) I've ploughed through nothing but Ace Combat after Ace Combat from 1 - 7 (besides 3) and I'm rather exhausted to say the least.

Class set of games, and a series I never thought I'd get into.

Games Beaten in 2021
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GAME Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

Pretty much stuck to this game from the moment I got up this morning. This one took me the longest because I sort of procrastinated on it for about a week, playing one mission at a time until today.

It's definitely the most challenging Ace game I've ever played. I can't count how many times I failed/restarted a mission. Either it's the most challenging, or I was burnt out on the games as a whole - maybe it's both.

I still have to go back and retry Ace Combat 3 but honestly I don't think that'll be for a good while. Aside from stopping to play through RE3 (which only took 6 hours) I've ploughed through nothing but Ace Combat after Ace Combat from 1 - 7 (besides 3) and I'm rather exhausted to say the least.

Class set of games, and a series I never thought I'd get into.

Get a lend of the PSVR, the VR missions were amazing if a little short. Found them to be tougher than the main game, I enjoyed Ace Combat 7 but I didn't like the progression tree forcing me down 2 completely seperate paths as 2 of my fave planes were either side.
    F-15E was complete opposite side to Su34/37, forcing me to dump all my points into either one or the other.

AceCombat 2 is still my favorite. I especially enjoyed the special aircraft/aces/teams where you'd get a special medal etc for taking them down during your mission. I 100% that game back in the day.
    The final rank you achieve if you literally kill everything is 'Commander in Chief'. I didn't realise till years later that that's the rank of the president.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

She's asked me to play RE4 now. I love RE4, it's one of my favourites, but the controls have not aged very well. I'll defend it to the high heavens but I played an hour of it this evening and.... ooft....I'd say if I played RE4 first, I'd be fine, but I've just came off of the perfection of RE3's controls, and it's very jarring.

I've done exactly this, just finished and loved RE3 and started RE4 last night. I've never played it before and I have to say the controls are infuriating! I'm finding it really difficult to play as you can't move left or right without turning first and you can't move when aiming. It's totally messing with my head and I keep getting killed so I've had to drop the difficulty to easy. I'm hoping the controls just 'click' with me soon but I'm struggling at the moment.

All this Ace combat love :eek:

I'd actually recommend Project Wingman for Ace Combat fans, particularly if you have a VR headset.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I've done exactly this, just finished and loved RE3 and started RE4 last night. I've never played it before and I have to say the controls are infuriating! I'm finding it really difficult to play as you can't move left or right without turning first and you can't move when aiming. It's totally messing with my head and I keep getting killed so I've had to drop the difficulty to easy. I'm hoping the controls just 'click' with me soon but I'm struggling at the moment.

It's part of the games design. You'll be used to it in no time. I think dropping it to easy was a huge mistake.

Basically go for shots that stagger enemies and you can do melee attacks that are great for crowd control. And run away and only aim when it's safe to do that. If you are aiming at an enemy you have to commit fully to it as you are rooted in place.

GAME Gris
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

Fairly basic puzzle-platformer when you put it to gameplay - no real challenge.

What struck my attention with this game were the visuals and the tone. Absolutely stunning game.

Done and dusted in an afternoon. I missed a lot of trophies so I reckon the game had more within it that I missed.

Games Beaten in 2021
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PLAYSTATION 4
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally got back to and finished Ghost of Tsushima. Excellent game overall, and while it doesn't do anything new, what it does do it does really well. The combat is satisfying if a bit simple, especially towards end game. But the main draw is the stunning art and graphics of the scenery/world. Amazing job done there.

Looking at peoples end of year lists, where do ye get the time? I work full time but nearly every other moment is free for me to do what I want, and I spend easily more time gaming per week than working, yet I still only have a fraction of the games played as ye have... Are ye all working in games/journalism to say ye play that many games per year?

• Advertisement

Looking at peoples end of year lists, where do ye get the time? I work full time but nearly every other moment is free for me to do what I want, and I spend easily more time gaming per week than working, yet I still only have a fraction of the games played as ye have... Are ye all working in games/journalism to say ye play that many games per year?

Honestly I finished feck all games 2019 and decided not to waste any time on over long triple A borefests so have been playing much shorter or older games. It's made me rediscover why I love videogames. It means I got through a lot of games last year but it also means I put more time into it because I actually wanted to play them rather than forcing myself through them and deciding to catch up on TV because I wasn't actually enjoying them. Only game I really struggled through this year was Last of Us Part 2 and I supplemented that with some old school action games so I wasn't totally put off playing.

This is on my hit list. The art style looks pretty but I dunno just seems like one of those indie games that are hyped to the max but I play them I'm just left feeling like it was ok/merely a pleasant time.

You might get that latter experience. It does nothing special gameplay-wise, really. Then again it's only 3 hours. I'll probably have this game forgotten in a month's time, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. If it wasn't for the visuals and music, I'd say the game would be mediocre; it's really those two aspects that make this game good.

It's my go-to hobby when I'm not at work. It's all I do on weekends.

My nights are spent watching something on TV with the missus but other than that my free time is 80% dedicated to gaming. I love it. Also, some games are not as long as others. I beat Gris yesterday in one sitting. And some games I beat are games that I have returned to and are not that far away from actually beating.

I beat 3 games in 2021, but one of them (Ace Combat 7) I had started a few weeks prior. Resident Evil 3 is not long at all - takes about 7 hours on average. Also, like what Retr0 said - I tend not to go through huge AAA games. The biggest game I beat in 2020 was Ghost of Tsushima. That game took me a month.

Also, I'd say a lot of us were just out of work for a majority of the year. I was off work from March til July, so I had lots of time to play. I could've increased that list if I wanted to, though.

Mega Man X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||

Streets of Rage 4

Completed in Co-op but will definitely play this again.

I was worried with the original reveal as the combat seemed off and the art seemed flat. Well I was wrong about it. The art is gorgeous, the soundtrack has a different feel to the original but is still excellent and it's probably a better games than the original series.

The addition of combos and fighting game mechanics gives this game so much depth. There's a huge variety in enemy types and their different actions keep things unpredictable. Even the bosses are excellent, being a lot fairer than the usual bosses from this genre and a lot more interesting to fight. Just a fantastic brawler that does for the genre what Etrian Odyssey did for Wizardry Dungeon crawlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(Ps4 version)

Finally rolled the credits on cyberpunk there last night, enjoyed parts of it but its not a patch on the Witcher 3 for me in many aspects.

Some side stuff is good and large parts of the main quests are good too but seems like there was stuff missing,

Hyped it up myself but its nothing but average to me and docked a few points for the bugs as it crashed around 20-30 times on me, managed to do all the major side quests,

I might give it another look with DLC and the PS5 version but kinda regret not waiting until the summer to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

First Blood of 2021

Bioshock 2 PC

A very decent game but feels more like a streamlined Bioshock 1.5 than a true sequel. I don't understand the point of playing as a Big Daddy but bieng a prototype one that plays more or less as a normal person.

Mega Man X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||

Sekiro

Finished with the best ending and the Shura ending.

You could make a great argument for this being from software's best game. The combination of stealth and parry focused combat is excellent and then you wrap that all up in From Software's usual best in class world building and level design. There's so many boss encounters here that I'd rank as some of the best of all time.

It's also got what is probably From's best combat system. I felt Dark Souls 3 was a bit cheap with so many bosses relying on winding up attacks then delaying them to catch you coming out of a roll. It felt like it was punishing you for reading the boss and felt it artificially inflated the difficulty. By turning the combat into what is effectively a rhythm game it now makes a lot more sense.

#|Game|Platform
    1| Resident Evil 3| PlayStation 4|
    2| Resident Evil 4| PlayStation 4|

Resident Evil 4

After finally getting to grips with the tank controls, I enjoyed this game a lot. Perhaps it wasn't the greatest idea to play this after the RE2 & RE3 remakes as they are vastly superior games imo and they make RE4 seem very dated, however the fact that gameplay wise RE4 is such a different game made it feel fresh. I enjoyed the action with plenty of varied enemies and the story was enjoyable, both the main game and the side game Separate Ways which tells Ada's story.

I did have a few issues though - I thought it was too long for this type of game. It took me just over 18 hours to finish the main game and I was feeling jaded well before the end. I also felt the boss fights were very easy, your knife is way over powered, a few slices is all it takes, no guns required.

I think I'll try out The Umbrella Chronicles next for something different as I work my way through the RE series!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox]

Watch Dogs Legion

My first game to complete of 2021 but started in 2020. It was a very good game and loved every minute of it. It was actually nice to play the game and not be hacked by others who already were probably finished the game and more experienced than you. I know in previous games I was always a bit dumb when I was hacked when just starting but as I gained experience I was always able to find who was hacking me pretty easily.

Advertisement