Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I being a snow-flake?

• 09-12-2020 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

So I ordered a calendar for a sick and frail loved-one. The order took 2 weeks extra to arrive. It arrived today. I found pictures of random toddlers in it. I contacted the company straight away. They did the usual I am sorry for your experience and we will send you a new calendar free of charge. I notified them that photos of children are classified as sensitive materials under GDPR. I asked them to confirm that they would notify the other involved party that their images had been erroneously shared with an unknown third party. I also asked them to disclose if my images had been shared, as they include pictures of children also. They said “but our customers always just send back the calendar”. I asked them would they be performing a risk assessment. They ignored this. This also breaches child protection. All I want is that they look into their procedures for handling sensitive materials and report a risk assessment to the data-commissioner. I hate the idea of potential creeps getting the photos of kids, and do not feel that this should happen.

It is their oblivion to data protection, and the fact that these images are dear and personal that annoyed me most.

My best-friend says that I am a snow-flake and get over it.

What is the boards opinion?

Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd definitely report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

All I want is that they look into their procedures for handling sensitive materials and report a risk assessment to the data-commissioner. I hate the idea of potential creeps getting the photos of kids, and do not feel that this should happen.

And what if they tell you that they intend to investigate the matter fully and take all necessary steps? What will you do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tippfoil

Hi,

So I ordered a calendar for a sick and frail loved-one. The order took 2 weeks extra to arrive. It arrived today. I found pictures of random toddlers in it. I contacted the company straight away. They did the usual I am sorry for your experience and we will send you a new calendar free of charge. I notified them that photos of children are classified as sensitive materials under GDPR. I asked them to confirm that they would notify the other involved party that their images had been erroneously shared with an unknown third party. I also asked them to disclose if my images had been shared, as they include pictures of children also. They said “but our customers always just send back the calendar”. I asked them would they be performing a risk assessment. They ignored this. This also breaches child protection. All I want is that they look into their procedures for handling sensitive materials and report a risk assessment to the data-commissioner. I hate the idea of potential creeps getting the photos of kids, and do not feel that this should happen.

It is their oblivion to data protection, and the fact that these images are dear and personal that annoyed me most.

My best-friend says that I am a snow-flake and get over it.

What is the boards opinion?

Thanks Guys!

No I wouldn't say you're a snowflake, a snowflake wouldn't be able to handle any type of confrontation. You're being more of a "Karen" than anything else.
    To be honest, I think you are looking for stuff to complain about. The fact that you allow it to upset you so much is the real puzzle.

That company doesn't care about your concern, you are just one person. They'll only care when enough people come back to them with this complaint. Most people have bigger worries in life than this type of thing. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it is what I think after reading your post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tippfoil wrote: »
    No I wouldn't say you're a snowflake, a snowflake wouldn't be able to handle any type of confrontation. You're being more of a "Karen" than anything else.
    To be honest, I think you are looking for stuff to complain about. The fact that you allow it to upset you so much is the real puzzle.

That company doesn't care about your concern, you are just one person. They'll only care when enough people come back to them with this complaint. Most people have bigger worries in life than this type of thing. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it is what I think after reading your post.

MOD

If you don't have any helpful advice please don't post. Name calling will not be tolerated. Please familiarise yourself with the forum charter before posting again.

Advertisement