Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1901 census Gormanston castle Co Meath

Options
  • 05-02-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Hi, Looking for a copy of the census for the aforementioned. Would it be avaialable to view online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

have you looked at the census website of the National Archives ?

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

The Castle is located in the townland of Gormanstown, see OSI map :

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716639,766581,5,7

(click the historic options to see the townland name)

and I suspect this is the relevant census :

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Meath/Stamullin/Gormanstown/1610269/

The head of the household is a Jenis W F Preston, and the premises is listed on the building return has having 37 out buildings, and 33 windows in the front of the 'house'... stands out from the other properties in the townland.

edit : Looking at the form, I think his first name has been mistranscribed and it may read Jerrico.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I could be way off but Isnt there a legend that when the head of the Gormanston family is on his deathbed that foxes gather at the front of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Hello,

Lord Gormanston's name was Jenico Preston, as with many other peculiar names it isn't transcribed properly.

There is a legend that when the Viscount is dying the foxes gather around Gormanston Castle on the lawn. There are a few anecdotal records of this including Lord Fingall who upon hearing Lord Gormanston was dying, complained that there would be no hunting because all the foxes in Meath would be at Gormanston. It is also linked to the fox on the Preston family coat of arms

It's quite a common tale, I believe there is a similar one for the St Ledgers at Doneraile House, and possibly one about ravens and one of the Plunkett families either Lord Dunsany or Lord Fingall, can't remember at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I could be way off but Isnt there a legend that when the head of the Gormanston family is on his deathbed that foxes gather at the front of the house?

Very true, I was at school there for 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Very true, I was at school there for 5 years

Is that where you learned your Highwayman trade?

• Advertisement
Advertisement