Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad things the Irish did

• 10-02-2011 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Irish people tend to view ourselves as victims in history, I don't think we give ourselves enough credit for all out atrocities.

We killed more Native Americans than anyone else.

We invaded Canada after the American war of Independance.

We hated blacks during the US cival war, which is what made us loved by the Americans initially.

I can't think of anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I wouldn't really call them Irish.... they emigrated and they were not actions on behalf of the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saw a documentary once and they more or less said:
    Send a slave to New Orleans swamps and they die and you've just lost your property.
    Send an Irish (or any emigrant) day laborer and they get malaria and they die and you can just replace them.

When you're down at the bottom like the Irish, they had to fight their way up. Getting involved in politics and the trade union movement was one way to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Idunnolol

D-Generate wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call them Irish.... they emigrated and they were not actions on behalf of the Irish people.

I know, killing the natives was for the English as the Irish were just frontline soldiers, invading Canada was for the Irish though (I dont think much happened though) and the racism was just the times. The reason I'm asking is for a better idea of our history.

I got an other, gathering protestant women and children and executing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

We had a civil war. Saddest moment in our nation's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

This is dodgy territory. passing moral judgements on history i mean, thats the role of politicians, nationalists and mel gibson.

historians report history, all sides as fact with evidence and without moral revisionism.

For example you could say the fenian invasion of canada was morally justified, and the 'hating the blacks' and indians thing could be counter argued by saying that they were backed up by 500 mohawks and 100 african american soldiers.

The victim mentality comes from a whitewash of history but you dont redress the balance by whitewashing in the other direction

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    We had a civil war. Saddest moment in our nation's history.

And we have Finna Fail to thank for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Idunnolol wrote: »
    And we have Finna Fail to thank for it.

Were not founded until 1926

Were not founded until 1926

By Éamon de Valera and associates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Stupid thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement