15-01-2021, 19:31   #5971
youcancallmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
Has anyone had anything from Dundalk Bay/Brewmaster?

They have a fine spot in the fridge in the Spar in Kilmainham and I'm very tempted by any Irish Imperial Stouts and Pilsners, but it'll have to wait.

Interested to hear experiences.
I've only had their American Pale Ale and Micro IPA. The pale ale was pretty bad, nothing like a pale ale. If I had tasted it blind I would swear it was a red ale or maybe even Belgian, and not a good one. The micro IPA was actually decent, lots of flavour for 1.8% but way over carbonated. You would be seriously bloated if you had a few of them.

Branding wise they kind of have a retro look about them but not great other than that.

Edit: I see on Untappd the American Pale Ale says formally "Belgian Trappist American Pale Ale" so that solves my confusion

Last edited by youcancallmeal; 15-01-2021 at 19:40.
Advertisement
15-01-2021, 20:24   #5972
senordingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Illogical* on my part, but I'm just put off trying the Brewmaster beers. I really don't like the branding, but I think it's that they came at it from the engineering angle rather than a brewing/ love of beer one. It just feels a bit opportunistic for me, launching to contract brew as much as their own beers.

*illogical because I'm sure the actual brewers are, well, brewers not engineers!
Not really illogical. On some beer review sites/apps, reviewers sometimes wax lyrical about whether the label is attractive, would it catch your eye, would you pick it up off the shelf etc
Thanks from:
15-01-2021, 20:46   #5973
ReginaldSmythV

It’s a saturated market here so branding is definitely important.
16-01-2021, 16:15   #5974
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
I have Crann na Beatha and Shanco Dubh (Brehon), 200 Fathoms (Galway Bay), Around the Clock (Porterhouse), Dolmen (Western Herd), Leann Folláin (O'Hara's), Pointy Shoes and Mad Mex (Wicklow Wolf), Morrígan (Larkin's), World's End (Black's of Kinsale) and 8 Ball (8 Degrees) in a box of "big" drinks here.

Oh, and a 2016 KBS.
I'm finally running out.
16-01-2021, 16:18   #5975
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
I'm finally running out.
I hop they weren't in the one sitting, or even two
Advertisement
16-01-2021, 16:24   #5976
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
I hop they weren't in the one sitting, or even two
Max of 2 imperials per sitting, but I've had a few slow mornings as a result. :O I've a DKML and a Better Half set aside for this evening.

Planning to go booze free in February to sort myself out again.
16-01-2021, 16:31   #5977
BaZmO*

Quote:
Max of 2 imperials per sitting, but I've had a few slow mornings as a result. :O I've a DKML and a Better Half set aside for this evening.

I always think February is a better month to go dry than January as January is such an awful month. There’s all that Christmas booze to finish off.........and February is shorter!!
16-01-2021, 16:38   #5978
BonnieSituation

Quote:

I'll tag you in.

This week was the most hectic in such a long time that I would have broken the dry for that Friday pint of plain feeling with no regrets.
Thanks from:
16-01-2021, 16:41   #5979
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
I think they both hired the same ex-Diageo consultant when starting out, and I have a suspicion that he's advising microbreweries to try and present themselves like large established industrials, maybe because those are trusted brands and sell by the million (or maybe because it's the only thing he knows). It's a bad misreading of the Irish speciality beer market, IMO. And they can have that opinion for free.
It was actually their consistent branding on the shelf that caught my eye. I have to say I like it, but then again, I've a very big appreciation of that oval beer label aesthetic.

I'll give them a bash in a couple of weeks.
Advertisement
16-01-2021, 19:16   #5980
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaZmO* View Post
I always think February is a better month to go dry than January as January is such an awful month. There’s all that Christmas booze to finish off.........and February is shorter!!
Big time. Going back to work and all in January is just awful and you need something to look forward to at the weekend. You're back in the swing of it by Feb so way better time for a dry one.
(2) thanks from:
16-01-2021, 20:27   #5981
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
Big time. Going back to work and all in January is just awful and you need something to look forward to at the weekend. You're back in the swing of it by Feb so way better time for a dry one.
I won't be making that mistake next year!
17-01-2021, 08:50   #5982
SlipperyPeople

Quote:

My rule aswell, always remember in the before times. Sunny sunday afternoon by the canal. Two of the Lads went off to get more Guinness and arrived back with 'they'd no guinness but shur this will do'

3 x 200 Fathoms each. Soon as they took a sip they knew they were fecked. I went home with mine they ended up on the beer till monday eve lol.
17-01-2021, 13:48   #5983
Pen Rua

I've had quite a number of Trappist beers in the last couple of weeks (thanks to Mrs Pen Rua getting me a couple of the box sets for Christmas!) and I just love each and every one. Partly because I am able to support Trappist monks, partly because they are fantastic beers and partly because they remind me of my time in Belgium on Erasmus a couple of years ago!

I came across this YouTube series where two American lads go off to Belgium, get bikes and cycle between the 6 Trappist breweries in Belgium. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H52...dkPv4p&index=1

That is bucket list stuff right there.
(2) thanks from:
17-01-2021, 14:45   #5984
Beanstalk

Just watched that series of docs the other day. It's very well produced! The Rochefort one was deadly. Id love to have that experience!
17-01-2021, 14:46   #5985
ReginaldSmythV

Give me at least a moped and you’re talking.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion