Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Sorry I used the airline code thought that people would know, From posting here what airline i mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sorry I used the airline code thought that people would know, From posting here what airline i mentioned.
    You got the code wrong. Its EZY, not ESY.

Typo error on my behalf predictive text.

EasyJet cabin crew to help with UK vaccination programme

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0113/1189482-easyjet-vaccinations/

MOD Note If you're going to drop a link, put something to indicate what it's about, we don't always have time to check and may as a result delete them

EasyJet cabin crew to help with UK vaccination programme

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0113/1189482-easyjet-vaccinations/

MOD Note If you're going to drop a link, put something to indicate what it's about, we don't always have time to check and may as a result delete them

No bother will do in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Lot of noise from government ruling out a summer of business as anywhere near usual.

Well there's a cheerful thought.

In all seriousness, it's all going to come down to how fast the powers that be can protect the bulk of the population. If any of these new more virulent strains prove vaccine-resistant then all bets are off.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Noxegon wrote: »
    Well there's a cheerful thought.

In all seriousness, it's all going to come down to how fast the powers that be can protect the bulk of the population. If any of these new more virulent strains prove vaccine-resistant then all bets are off.

Another thing that might be on their mind is whether or not other countries can vaccinate their populations quickly. Isn't there a thing with kids and certain vaccines, where the "herd immunity" gets diluted if enough don't get the vaccine. So we could be rolling along fine but if Brazil or the US for example is holding us back, letting a load of them back in might not be a good idea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Another thing that might be on their mind is whether or not other countries can vaccinate their populations quickly. Isn't there a thing with kids and certain vaccines, where the "herd immunity" gets diluted if enough don't get the vaccine. So we could be rolling along fine but if Brazil or the US for example is holding us back, letting a load of them back in might not be a good idea.

Well the UK and US are well ahead of us in terms of vaccination at the moment and the rest of the EU will likely be similar enough to ourselves give or take a few weeks. So that should cover the majority of destinations.

Other parts of the world are more likely to lag far behind.

That is where vaccine passports are likely to come into play. Though that may even come into play from the US if there are enough anti-vaxers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

That is where vaccine passports are likely to come into play. Though that may even come into play from the US if there are enough anti-vaxers there.

No one has the balls to stand up to the US. Think ESTA, 24hr advance pax notice, the ball ache of applying for a crew visa so you can fly into their country and stay a night. Whatever the yanks demand they get. Go the other way and you will get a very short sharp wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Trump has gone and lifted the travel restrictions, though to be honest given many countries are imposing them one wonders if this isn’t just politics and the routes will be banned again Wednesday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/brianod_news/status/1351317338587598848?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Biden Press Sec-Elect says Admin will be blocking it per CNN, a non-event.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1351330357401018368?s=21

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Biden Press Sec-Elect says Admin will be blocking it per CNN, a non-event.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1351330357401018368?s=21
    On the advice of our medical team, the Administration does not intend to lift these restrictions on 1/26. In fact, we plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel in order to further mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

With the pandemic worsening, and more contagious variants emerging around the world, this is not the time to be lifting restrictions on international travel.

Pretty much as I would have expected from Bidens administration, there will be more efforts around Covid19, not less.

Of course as vaccinations increase, this will more then likely change, but don't be surprised if it includes vaccine passports, etc.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What I don't understand is they still allow travel from non-EU / Schengen countries - providing you haven't been EU/UK/Schengen for the previous 2 weeks.

Could you in theory fly from Turkey to the US without any issue? Seems odd they are just blocking Europe effectively.

It all started out as a dumb knee-jerk reaction by Trump back in March/April when cases were quickly growing mostly in Europe.

Of course, you are right that in the last ten months it should have been extended to other countries or other steps like quarantine and testing put in place. But that is Trump for you, it is all just optics for him and this last minute lifting of the ban, with no other restrictions, is equally dumb and just trying to cause a mess for Biden before he goes.

What I think we might see Biden do is:
    - Keep the ban in place short-term
    - Put in place stricter restrictions to other destinations like Turkey, like strict Quarantine, testing, etc.
    - Use these same restrictions from Europe for US Citizens travelling from Europe.
    - See how those restrictions are working, if they are working well, then lift the European travel ban, replacing them with those restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Trump has gone and lifted the travel restrictions, though to be honest given many countries are imposing them one wonders if this isn’t just politics and the routes will be banned again Wednesday afternoon.

What's he trying to do? Make things worse in the US, fool!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Aliens? Nobody tell Jim Corr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

bk wrote: »
    It all started out as a dumb knee-jerk reaction by Trump back in March/April when cases were quickly growing mostly in Europe.

That's one of the few things he did right imo, I don't think it was a dumb kneejerk reaction at all. Look at what happened in NYC barely 4 weeks later, now imagine if travel through 3 of the busiest transit points in the world had continued unfettered.

Biden will close the outliers like Croatia and Turkey and require a test on arrival + quarantine I suspect. There are already US States doing this - Hawaii & Alaska are the two that come to mind.

There will be an additional lag from the publics residual reluctance to travel until they're vaccinated. You're looking at Summer 2022 before you get back to 2019 traffic levels, which I believe Austrian Airlines called back at the onset of the pandemic.

I do think when demand does return, it'll return in a big way and you'll end up with supply side issues from a staffing perspective, the white tails might be there but it takes a lot of time and investment to get the qualified people to fly them, and you can't spin that up easily. Likely be something of a boon for domestic travel though. Either way I think we'll be returning to the days of 1k return trips to the US as being the baseline price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cson wrote: »
    That's one of the few things he did right imo, I don't think it was a dumb kneejerk reaction at all. Look at what happened in NYC barely 4 weeks later, now imagine if travel through 3 of the busiest transit points in the world had continued unfettered.
    I have to disagree on this point. The US travel ban wasn't a bad idea in itself but it wasnt twinned with ANY practical health measures.
    All those US citizens were able to fly home without any screening, quarantine or testing.
    And when they did arrive home they were left in crowded immigration halls to await their questioning by a USCBP officer.
    Thus is was like using a net as an umbrella.

The only way to keep aviation from being a source of spread is mandatory quarantine upon arrival with testing before departure and while in quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Masala wrote: »
    As matter of interest.,.... if you had a doze of the Covid and are now back up and running .... how long will it be before a test will come back Negative???

A pilot from a podcast i listen too from Delta recently tested positive and was told he would likely show positive for 90days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Stealthirl wrote: »
    A pilot from a podcast i listen too from Delta recently tested positive and was told he would likely show positive for 90days

Yeah - I heard 12 weeks which means you could get Covid and recover and not be able to travel as test would still show as positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Stealthirl wrote: »

APG??

Ronaldo kept testing positive for weeks after he’d had it at the end of the summer and Elon Musk done 4 in one day with two positive and two negative results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

APG??

Ronaldo kept testing positive for weeks after he’d had it at the end of the summer and Elon Musk done 4 in one day with two positive and two negative results.

Wouldn't trust a word that comes out of his mouth on Covid. He has a massive agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah - I heard 12 weeks which means you could get Covid and recover and not be able to travel as test would still show as positive.

Yes this is widely accepted, however I think if the correct protocols are followed they can distinguish and/or retest (but that is only done in a clinical setting). The PCR test process (as opposed to the test itself) that people have to get for travelling is full of potential holes, i.e. it is likely to miss 40% of infections and also return positives where people are no longer a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    The PCR test process (as opposed to the test itself) that people have to get for travelling is full of potential holes, i.e. it is likely to miss 40% of infections and also return positives where people are no longer a risk.
    I would like to know how they came up with that 40% figure because it suggests an under-sensitive test whereas false-positives suggest over-sensitive.

Because of new rules being dumped on travellers I have already rescheduled my flight back to Dublin twice. Way things are going I might have to use the Belfast backdoor out of necessity.

PommieBast wrote: »
    I would like to know how they came up with that 40% figure because it suggests an under-sensitive test whereas false-positives suggest over-sensitive.

The issue is not with the test itself, it is with the process. i.e. even with requiring a not-detected result 3 days before travel, you will still miss many cases (likely up to 40%). The only way to be 100% sure is to quarantine and test multiple times before quarantine ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The issue is not with the test itself, it is with the process. i.e. even with requiring a not-detected result 3 days before travel, you will still miss many cases (likely up to 40%). The only way to be 100% sure is to quarantine and test multiple times before quarantine ends.
    It is the 40% figure I am questioning, as that sort of false-negative rate would make PCT bordering on an expensive charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

APG??

Yes, Jeff said he tested positive in the most recent episode but only had mild signs so far.

PommieBast wrote: »
    It is the 40% figure I am questioning, as that sort of false-negative rate would make PCT bordering on an expensive charade.

It's not a false negative, it's because the virus may not have been detectable at the time of the test.
    If I get a test today (Thursday) ahead of a flight on Sunday, I may pick up the virus tomorrow and not show symptoms (if I do at all) until Wednesday or Thursday next week. So I will correctly have had a clear test, but then have the virus at a later point after arriving to my destination. I will have been missed by the process.

It's not a false negative, it's because the virus may not have been detectable at the time of the test.
    If I get a test today (Thursday) ahead of a flight on Sunday, I may pick up the virus tomorrow and not show symptoms (if I do at all) until Wednesday or Thursday next week. So I will correctly have had a clear test, but then have the virus at a later point after arriving to my destination. I will have been missed by the process.

Also it can take a few days after you are infected, before you will start testing positive on the PCR test.

It basically takes time for the virus to replicate enough in your body for it to develop enough to pop up on the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

For those watching Biden's conference on the National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness, the following excerpt should be of note;
    Promote Safe Travel. Ensuring that people can safely travel will be critical
    for families and to jumpstarting the economy, which is why the President issued
    an executive order that requires mask-wearing on certain public modes of
    transportation and at ports of entry to the United States. For international air travel,
    Executive Order Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel
    requires a recent negative COVID-19 test result prior to departure and quarantine
    on arrival, consistent with CDC guidelines. The Executive Order also directs
    agencies to develop options for expanding public health measures for domestic
    travel and cross-border land and sea travel and calls for incentives to support
    and encourage compliance with CDC guidelines on public transportation

It's evidently clear, vaccine efficacy will be compromised if the disease is allowed to continue to spread unchecked during vaccine roll-out with increasing levels of mutations. If we have one opportunity left to stop uncontrolled spread including with enforced quarantine, limit fatalities and increase levels of inoculation we will have a chance to stop COVID-19 in its tracks, for everyone’s sake (social, economic wellbeing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Jack1985 wrote: »
    vaccine efficacy will be compromised if the disease is allowed to continue to spread unchecked during vaccine roll-out with increasing levels of mutations.

I’d argue that the virus spreading unchecked actually lessens the likelihood of mutation! There is some opinion that the measures taken in the last year have played a part in expediting the mutation of the virus.

Advertisement